Keto, Anyone? II

Options
Hello all,

Hopefully you made it here to this new spot.

What's happening with your keto journey today? I've been at it since August 14 and somehow, my official weigh date is the 18th of the month. At last weigh-in, I'd had lost 26 pounds, which I suspect a big portion of that weight loss is water. Anyway, I wouldn't expect the October weigh-in to be as great. I'm good with that as long as there is some weight loss.

I feel very good, my digestive issues are well under control and my hair is visibly getting more dense. I am judiciously planning my meals, and in November I will join a gym.

What's up with you? :)

Replies

• kristinlemonnier
    Options
    Hi all. I will be starting my Keto journey on Sunday. I will be using Saturday to get all my new food. I am 34 years old 5'2 and about 155lbs. I have been unsuccessful on my weight loss journey so far. Very busy mom of two who just grabs the easiest thing to eat. No more excuses we are all busy and I see the success stories on here. I am a bit worried about the withdrawal feeing that will come because I have an insane sweet tooth. I have written little motivational notes all over the place as well as posted pre pregnancy photo's of myself around the house. I am a bit nervous to start this. One question I had was it said absolutely NO cheats. I am okay with that. However with the holidays coming what do you do? For example would I be allowed to have ONE glass of wine with Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? Or will that just throw all my hard work out the window?
  • KrittersGal
    KrittersGal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kristinlemonnier... I don't see why one glass of wine would hurt as long as its not a sweet wine a dry red wine is what you want! Ketos might lower a bit but shouldn't knock you out too bad.
  • solomon091
    solomon091 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a significant fast, but pre-keto, I used to be ravenous if I went more than a few hours without eating. On a regular weight loss diet, I was eating 3 meals, and 3 snacks a day.

On keto, I rarely have any snacks, just the 3 meals a day and I don't feel hungry. I remember at work on a Friday didn't bring any lunch. It got really crazy at work, we were all flat out, and nobody could go get lunch. Everybody else was complaining about how hungry they were, and I was just fine,and didn't even feel like eating supper... Until I had that first bite of roasted chicken... At which point the hunger came roaring back.
  • ikeandmike1212
    ikeandmike1212 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    You might want to tell the others which board you moved too. I had to do a search to find this one. :) I have done keto for about almost a week now. I snuck a peak at the scale this morning (not my 'official' weigh in) and I'm down 5 pounds! That is big for me, as that has never happened with any eating plan, diet pill, or other method. I am 40 years old and come from a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems and more. I don't want that to be my legacy. I am changing it up now. I would like to get down around 145-150 (about 30-35 more pounds) but more importantly, I want to stay healthy and have enough energy to get it all done.

I did...they're not reading!!! Maybe I should do all CAPS!!!!!!
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    Kristinlemonnier... I don't see why one glass of wine would hurt as long as its not a sweet wine a dry red wine is what you want! Ketos might lower a bit but shouldn't knock you out too bad.

I don't drink alcohol but I believe Dr. Berg addresses alcohol consumption while on keto.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting June 1st and found Keto around the same time. I slowly transitioned into Ketosis in the last month or so. In the last 4 months I have lost 30lb and 10 of that in the last few weeks. I have been strict keto for two weeks with very little carbs. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in June my a1c was 8.5 and in September it went down to 5.8. I am told that is huge!!! Fatty coffee is my drug!

It feels good to try and actually get results.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    solomon091 wrote: »
    I haven't done a significant fast, but pre-keto, I used to be ravenous if I went more than a few hours without eating. On a regular weight loss diet, I was eating 3 meals, and 3 snacks a day.

On keto, I rarely have any snacks, just the 3 meals a day and I don't feel hungry. I remember at work on a Friday didn't bring any lunch. It got really crazy at work, we were all flat out, and nobody could go get lunch. Everybody else was complaining about how hungry they were, and I was just fine,and didn't even feel like eating supper... Until I had that first bite of roasted chicken... At which point the hunger came roaring back.

That's the great thing I'm noticing about keto. If you are diligent about things you shouldn't eat as far as your food choice selection, keto convert, ensure that you get enough high quality fat in your diet, you'll notice that you no longer feel like a slave to food. We need to eat to live, not live to eat. There is a difference.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    You might want to tell the others which board you moved too. I had to do a search to find this one. :) I have done keto for about almost a week now. I snuck a peak at the scale this morning (not my 'official' weigh in) and I'm down 5 pounds! That is big for me, as that has never happened with any eating plan, diet pill, or other method. I am 40 years old and come from a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems and more. I don't want that to be my legacy. I am changing it up now. I would like to get down around 145-150 (about 30-35 more pounds) but more importantly, I want to stay healthy and have enough energy to get it all done.

Keep at it up! I personally try to weigh once a month, realizing that my weight will go up and down. Along with high fat, you should be getting a good deal of protein, which will build muscle. Your body will reshape, so don't hang all your measure of success on the scale. We all have a desired weight that we'd like to reduce to but changes are occurring and sometimes it is hard to grasp that if you are relying solely on the scale.

What's really nice is trying on something that you know you darned well could not get into and having it fit! You can't argue with that, no matter what the scale says.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    hoganpm0 wrote: »
    I started Keto Mid June and I make my weight log on Mondays for consistency. As of last Monday I have lost 54.6 Lbs so I am way past any water weight. I have also been doing Intermittent Fasting on top of the Keto diet. So as you can see its been working great for me. I am still dropping 3.5-4.5 each week. I still have a ways to go but I am fitting in my old cloths but soon I will have to buy some new smaller cloths.

My Hero! If I loose that much, I am going to rule the world!!!! From June to now?--fantastic!!! :o:o:o:o
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    Hi all. I will be starting my Keto journey on Sunday. I will be using Saturday to get all my new food. I am 34 years old 5'2 and about 155lbs. I have been unsuccessful on my weight loss journey so far. Very busy mom of two who just grabs the easiest thing to eat. No more excuses we are all busy and I see the success stories on here. I am a bit worried about the withdrawal feeing that will come because I have an insane sweet tooth. I have written little motivational notes all over the place as well as posted pre pregnancy photo's of myself around the house. I am a bit nervous to start this. One question I had was it said absolutely NO cheats. I am okay with that. However with the holidays coming what do you do? For example would I be allowed to have ONE glass of wine with Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? Or will that just throw all my hard work out the window?

If you've been following me, you heard me speak of Dr. Eric Berg, on Youtube. Do a search for his videos and it will help you tremendously. Watch them all. You will be glad you did. He'll answer questions you didn't know you had. You two children, you certainly want to be health for, you have to plan .

When I began my journey, I thought sweets would be my problem, as the desire for them has been the reason I ended every other weight-loss journey. If you eat like you supposed to, you will not crave anything. Dr. Berg has a wonderful short video which explains that cravings are rooted in nutritional deficiencies. He actually has a chart which explains the craving type and he identifies what is missing from your diet. Once you fix that, the craving will stop.

Be prepared; you may feel flu-like ("keto-flu"), as your body's machinery makes the necessary modifications for you to use fat instead of sugar for fuel; It won't last forever. Stick with it. Take it easy during this period. When you overcome and you will, you are going to feel marvelous.

As far as alcohol goes, Dr. Berg addresses this and I believe his states you shouldn't consume alcohol at this time. Look at it this way: once you keto-adapt, why take a chance on having to re-adapt?

You have your own reasons for wanting make changes, to begin to get healthier. Not being able to resist something that we love, is hard but we can do it. Again, once you keto-adapt, you will feel so good, then the choice to eat/drink whatever is yours. Resist and go forward, give in and keep getting what you already have.

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Uhhh ... anyway .... tip. To avoid "keto flu" research sodium needs on the ketogenic way of eating. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle and feel bads.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Anyone privy to this group? Lots of info and awesome support. :)
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

If you visited the original post, ''Keto, anyone?'', you can see that we had a great exchange of information going but it was more appropriate that we move here.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options

Anyone wanting to share, participate or learn is welcome here. :)
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    It's been a tough week and Saturday couldn't have gotten here any sooner. I am grateful for the extra sleep; I needed it.

Since life will slow down just a little for the next couple of days, I made a "bigger" breakfast today; a three-egg omelet stuffed with cheddar cheese, bacon, mushroom and spinach...and thanks to Swerve, I get to enjoy a cup of coffee with cream and 'sugar". This breakfast (and dinner) will be fattier than I consume during the week, but I only eat two meal/day on the weekend. Whether it's two meals or three, the total fat I must consume remains constant.

Later today, I plan to make almond-flour based Keto Bread and re-up my fat bomb supply. Interested in what's in these recipes, see the links below. If you've never made bread before, check in before you make this one as I have some tips for you.

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/best-keto-bread/

Want to make Lemon Cheesecake Fat Bombs? Check this out:

http://lowcarbediem.com/lemon-cheesecake-fat-bomb-recipe/

It's the weekend...what's going on with you?????