October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    Anyone ever get in a funk after an accomplishment because you didn't know what to do next? Yeah, that's where I'm at. Weird feeling.

There is always the Ironman :smile:

If Only I could swim well enough...

another ultra seems to be in my future though

You can just go full on crazy and do this.....

http://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/

When I was stationed at 29 Palms, one of the instructors used to run this every year. 135 miles through Death Valley. That's enough of a challenge to test anybody :)

Respect! I've been to Death Valley; it's an amazing place. I was exhausted just from hiking every day. Can't imagine what those runners are feeling.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    Anyone ever get in a funk after an accomplishment because you didn't know what to do next? Yeah, that's where I'm at. Weird feeling.

There is always the Ironman :smile:

If Only I could swim well enough...

another ultra seems to be in my future though

You can just go full on crazy and do this.....

http://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/

When I was stationed at 29 Palms, one of the instructors used to run this every year. 135 miles through Death Valley. That's enough of a challenge to test anybody :)

Badwater is a bucket list race for me. It's been on my radar for a while. I'll probably go for a 100 mile next year as my next big goal. 24+ hours of running/hiking will be a heck of an experience.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Respect! I've been to Death Valley; it's an amazing place. I was exhausted just from hiking every day. Can't imagine what those runners are feeling.

Yeah, having been there through the summer and having to get up at 4AM just to go run for PT I can only imagine putting in any serious distance. Having been fresh off of 3 marathons he was really trying to talk me into getting out there if I stuck around after MOS school. Lucky for me I ended up going to Okinawa :) LOL
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I do believe that Badwater definitely falls into the "you gotta want it" category when it comes to pushing through.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you find time to TRAIN for 100 mile run? I struggle to find time for long runs in the Marathon plans. :open_mouth:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    How in the world do you find time to TRAIN for 100 mile run? I struggle to find time for long runs in the Marathon plans. :open_mouth:

um.... most 100 mile training isn't much heavier than marathon training. a lot of plans max out at like 70MPW for a week or 2. A very few max out higher. In reality, with all the hiking, if you can build the cardio for a marathon, you can do a 100 mile... it's a heck of a lot more mental than physical.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I don't know if I could get the time to do the triple.... I want to do CDR at some point though, and Sinister 7 looks sweet.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent guys attempt to pace match me all the time and one of two things happens; either they are way faster than me and are gone in a blink or they fade off within a km or two. I think I'd really running with someone who could accurately pace with me honestly!

Was not intentional, if she was much faster, or slower, it would not have been an issue. But being just slightly faster, I unconsciously matched her pace. I know female runners have problems with creepy guys and really did not want to be one. :worried:

• PastorVincent
    Options

um.... most 100 mile training isn't much heavier than marathon training. a lot of plans max out at like 70MPW for a week or 2. A very few max out higher. In reality, with all the hiking, if you can build the cardio for a marathon, you can do a 100 mile... it's a heck of a lot more mental than physical.

I do 50 MPW now in my "off season" - but the problem is the long run. So for a slowpoke like me, running 20-25 miles means planing at least 4-5 hours gone from a day. That is hard to find.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I do 50 MPW now in my "off season" - but the problem is the long run. So for a slowpoke like me, running 20-25 miles means planing at least 4-5 hours gone from a day. That is hard to find.

Is getting up earlier on long run day a possibility? I train slightly above where most people will mileage wise and I find it easier against 3AM to log substantial miles before anyone is even awake and needing me. I feel like ultra training is doable for more people than we realize if they are willing to suffer a little (and that willingness is helpful for the suffer fest of race day :D )
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Is getting up earlier on long run day a possibility? I train slightly above where most people will mileage wise and I find it easier against 3AM to log substantial miles before anyone is even awake and needing me. I feel like ultra training is doable for more people than we realize if they are willing to suffer a little (and that willingness is helpful for the suffer fest of race day :D )

This is pretty much it for me. a 24 mile run will take me around 5-6 hours, with hiking hills, going ultra mode. in reality, I know a guy who has completed several 100 mile races on 35mpw....
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn the thought of trying to go into a 100 miler competitively on 35 mpw is giving me anxiety :# lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn the thought of trying to go into a 100 miler competitively on 35 mpw is giving me anxiety :# lol

LOL... that's because you're competitive... us mere mortals are mostly just going for a finish....
  • PastorVincent
    Options

hah! I mean I can probably WALK a 100miles, but run it? I would think I would want at least a 50mile run under my belt... and that is almost twice as far as my PR for distance (27.2).
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s
    10/13 12miles 1h:53m:24s
    10/14 5miles 48m:31s
    10/15 rest
    10/16 5.8miles 55m:37s
    10/17 7miles 64m:13s
    10/18 9miles 1h:20m:51s
    10/19 5miles 46m:17s
    10/20 12miles 1h:51m:25s
    10/21 5miles 48m
    10/22 rest
    10/23 6.6miles 1h:01m:37s
    10/24 5miles 50m:35s

Felt like I was dragging lead weights for legs... so a slow run with a bit of walking. I think I’ll go to bed early tonight. Today is a sad day for us.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options

hah! I mean I can probably WALK a 100miles, but run it? I would think I would want at least a 50mile run under my belt... and that is almost twice as far as my PR for distance (27.2).

A lot of 100 mile runs have a 20min/mile pace cut off.... of course that includes Aide Station stops, etc... There's a reaso they are called endurance races, unless you're a top competitor, it's all about avoiding the DNF and that's it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

A lot of 100 mile runs have a 20min/mile pace cut off.... of course that includes Aide Station stops, etc... There's a reaso they are called endurance races, unless you're a top competitor, it's all about avoiding the DNF and that's it.

I doubt many people actually RUN the whole length of a 100 mile race.....
  • JessicaMcB
    Options

Did you find that people stopped for long at the Aide Stations at Duluth? Were they hella cool? I meant to ask you that the other day! LSU100 plays up their Aide as a selling point and I think that is super cool but I also spent all of maybe 1 minute all in at Aide for all of Whistler.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I doubt many people actually RUN the whole length of a 100 mile race.....

Yeah basically only the elites will run the whole thing continuously because they are animals <3