• tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    don't wait until you're 44.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Strength training is awesome but won't do anything for your loose skin.

As about wrinkles fading... 3 years of maintenance now and they haven't changed one bit. I'm 39 and I lost 80 lbs (ok I regained 10, but still, shar pei belly).

get micro needling to get rid of the stretch marks..helped my wrinkles on my face and about to get it on my stomach
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Fat cells don't politely deplete starting with the outermost layer near the skin, and preceding inward. The fat can deplete anywhere in the fatty area. First, the fat mass may get softer, squishier, even floppier, before being mostly gone.

There's a phase where the softened fat mass is enough to pull the surrounding skin downward under gravity's influence. That keeps the skin still stretched out.

Loose skin, and whether it will shrink back or not, is influenced by age, genetics, and more. But while it still has squishy fat poufing it out and pulling it down, it can't really shrink. It sounds like you may be at that stage now.

For me, the true loose skin - the thin wrinkles stuff - has shrunk fairly well, and continued to shrink even into my current 2nd year of maintenance . . . and I'm 61.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it's still early for you to be able to evaluate your situation. Keep going, lose the 50 pounds. Stay active and healthy - the best you can do to encourage your skin to stay supple - and evaluate when you're at goal weight, keeping in mind that the thin-wrinkles parts can keep shrinking for quite a while after.

If there are still squishy areas at goal, then consider strength training for recomposition (more muscle, less fat at the same weight), or - at the extreme - surgery.

But give it time. I predict it won't be as bad as you're thinking now.

@AnnPT77 - I just wanted to tell you your comments & explanation about this on an earlier thread were really helpful and influenced my outlook about the whole thing. I thought I was doomed to these skin issues, but I can clearly see that the fat that remains (and there's still plenty) makes it appear a lot worse than it really is. (I'd lost about 70 lbs & still have about 40 to go.) I've also noticed when I slack & put a few lbs back on, that's the first place I notice it! I do wonder if I will ever be able to reduce the amount of fat to the extent that the skin can do it's tightening thing, but at least I know it's not totally out of my control. :)

Thank you: So kind!

I just report according to my experience. Others differ. But there are others here who report similar experiences to mine, too. For sure, there's no point in worrying until (1) at goal weight, and (2) after having given it a few months at least. Many, many people report body changes in maintenance, without major changes in lifestyle. Not everyone, but lots.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Oh no... I would not be ok with that :/

I'm not thrilled about the prospect, but at the same time know it would be unreasonable to expect that I could abuse my body for nearly 30 years by being overweight and not experience any unwanted effects.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Oh no... I would not be ok with that :/

I'm not thrilled about the prospect, but at the same time know it would be unreasonable to expect that I could abuse my body for nearly 30 years by being overweight and not experience any unwanted effects.

I havent been overweight that long Id be pretty mad at my body for being mean to me lol plus I was in a wheelchair when I really went up in weight. I was overweight a lot for maybe a total of 5-6 years out of 27. Most of which the time was after three pregnancies and an injury. But its not up to me either 100% its somewhat genetic and thank goodness for skin surgery. Im not supportive of actual extreme plastic surgeries, but simple ones like skin removal, lipo or a lift Im all for. lol
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a mix of fat (where a lot of women store it until well into healthy weight), and loose skin from pregnancy.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a mix of fat (where a lot of women store it until well into healthy weight), and loose skin from pregnancy.

Thanks for the honesty. If its not too bad and at least doesnt hang Ill be ok with it (like if its wrinkly thats fine if its not horrid lol) but otherwise Im pretty sure Ill need skin surgery to feel good. Thank you. :)