Women only: do you gain weight before your period?

Options
13»

Replies

• counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am really surprised every time a woman posts that she doesn't know that this is normal. We need to do a better job of being educated about our bodies. Girls usually start getting periods between ages 9 and 13 and the average age of menopause is 51. That's a good 40 years of menstrual cycles. Take the time to learn what is going on with your body, if you don't know already. And if you have a daughter, make sure she understands it as well.

My daughter is 10 and we've been discussing this stuff for half of her life already. She's comfortable asking both me and my husband/her dad about it. It's not embarrassing, it's not gross. It's your body. Understand it.

What you pass on to your children depends a lot on your experiences. I talked to my daughter about puberty and periods and whatnot but would never have thought to talk about weight fluctuations during periods because I didn't know about them until I joined MFP. It's never happened to me and it never came up in any reading I've done on the topic.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am really surprised every time a woman posts that she doesn't know that this is normal. We need to do a better job of being educated about our bodies. Girls usually start getting periods between ages 9 and 13 and the average age of menopause is 51. That's a good 40 years of menstrual cycles. Take the time to learn what is going on with your body, if you don't know already. And if you have a daughter, make sure she understands it as well.

My daughter is 10 and we've been discussing this stuff for half of her life already. She's comfortable asking both me and my husband/her dad about it. It's not embarrassing, it's not gross. It's your body. Understand it.

What you pass on to your children depends a lot on your experiences. I talked to my daughter about puberty and periods and whatnot but would never have thought to talk about weight fluctuations during periods because I didn't know about them until I joined MFP. It's never happened to me and it never came up in any reading I've done on the topic.

Nearly every time I read a woman talking about her period or PMS refers to bloating. That's why I'm surprised that women are surprised when they gain weight.