Is it normal to feel dizzy when changing diet routines?

2»

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Why on earth are you eating granola bars for breakfast. Choose a proper high fibre, high protein meal and some fats for break to prevent insulin spikes. Yes high insulin is what causes low blood sugar and dizziness. If you like oats have porridge with nuts and seeds and honey.

I'm a senior in high school with only a few minutes to spare in the morning for breakfast. I recently asked another question on here about what would be healthy to eat for breakfast and literally everyone said that granola bars are healthy, but Larabars not like the average granola bar. So honestly I don't know what to believe at this point now.

But the answer lies in your dizzy spells. Try overnight oats for something quick or a salad made the night before of boiled eggs chickpeas cucumber olives tomatoes and spinach. Or...you could skip breakfast as studies have shown it's not necessary to lose weight. A lot of people, including me, fast for 16-18 hours and then eat breakfast at lunch time. Funny isn't it? Breakfast at lunch time. You basically want slow release energy to stop yourself from feeling dizzy. Granola bars are not ideal. And btw your stats are exactly the same as mine except I'm 24, but yeah I'm also 5' 4" and 152-154lbs and I'm losing weight on 1600 calories plus exercise calories. You're YOUNG so there's no need to eat 1200. Take advantage of your younger metabolism and don't damage it from now. My average TDEE is 2200 and even more on some days, less on other days. Students need calories for proper brain function too. I know cause I just finished studying a year ago.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Why on earth are you eating granola bars for breakfast. Choose a proper high fibre, high protein meal and some fats for break to prevent insulin spikes. Yes high insulin is what causes low blood sugar and dizziness. If you like oats have porridge with nuts and seeds and honey.

I'm a senior in high school with only a few minutes to spare in the morning for breakfast. I recently asked another question on here about what would be healthy to eat for breakfast and literally everyone said that granola bars are healthy, but Larabars not like the average granola bar. So honestly I don't know what to believe at this point now.
    You have to look at your diet as a whole. You need enough food, and a variety of foods, every day. Granola bars is candy. Candy is okay, but not really something you would want to take up a big chunk of our calories. You can go to bed earlier and get up earlier if you want/need to eat before you go to school. No foods are designated breakfast, lunch, dinner foods. You could eat breakfast later.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member

You have to look at your diet as a whole. You need enough food, and a variety of foods, every day. Granola bars is candy. Candy is okay, but not really something you would want to take up a big chunk of our calories. You can go to bed earlier and get up earlier if you want/need to eat before you go to school. No foods are designated breakfast, lunch, dinner foods. You could eat breakfast later.

Yepp, especially not first thing in the morning. I find saving desserts or sugary stuff for the evening is much better if I choose to have them.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

ah..significant difference between 'food bars' and granola bars. The former has (or should have) more protein and fiber to balance out the sugar/starch. Usually a bit more fat too in the form of some nut butter or nuts. And higher number of calories. (Granola is basically oil-fried sugar-coated oats - ~nil protein by default and almost no fiber). Granola bar along with a cup of yogurt (to supply more protein, calories, fat) wouldn't be a bad breakfast. Oh- and 'protein bars' will have significantly more protein added than either the granola bars or 'food bars', but they usually have very little fiber.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    OP - now you see the difference between some general terms (granola bars which you are NOT eating) to specific mention (Larabar you are eating and is indeed good compared to nothing).

You've likely noticed on here how some don't read every post, they react to a post that is a reaction to a post.
    Might say reacting to rumor at that point - so many missed your extra comments.

In which case learn to skip reading posts that are based on rumor. Much like they skipped your actually written posts!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    A good high protein grab'n'go is string cheese. They are individually wrapped and survive the bottom of a book bag very well. The mini gouda cheeses are good, too, but that red wax can make a real mess in the bottom of a book bag.