Options
    The good girl mary kubica
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    slessofme wrote: »
    slessofme wrote: »
    White Trash & Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Are you reading White Trash by Nancy Isenberg?

Yes

@marissafit06 I would love to hear your thoughts/impressions when you're done with White Trash. I finished it a few months ago.

Will do!
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Off topic:

I have been trying to get audible books to listen to on my drive to work.

However, Amazon (my primary choice for books) only allows a subscription for audible, which is not what I want.

I have tried the library, but it’s too clunky and lame. I’m not going to use such a lame solution.

I don’t want to buy CD’s because I have no way to play them, plus they are very expensive.

For those that use audible books, how do you get them?

TIA.

You can buy audible books without a subrscription
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    “Red Sparrow” and “The Casual Vacancy”. The latter is quite boring and disappointing coming from JK Rowling.

I was bored silly with "The Casual Vacancy" until the last third. Then it picked up, but only a little. Very disappointing.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    Options
    Off topic:

However, Amazon (my primary choice for books) only allows a subscription for audible, which is not what I want.

I have tried the library, but it’s too clunky and lame. I’m not going to use such a lame solution.

I don’t want to buy CD’s because I have no way to play them, plus they are very expensive.

TIA.

You can buy audible books without a subrscription

Most of the books I want, it’s not available without a subscription.

They just cost more without the subscription
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    “Red Sparrow” and “The Casual Vacancy”. The latter is quite boring and disappointing coming from JK Rowling.

I was bored silly with "The Casual Vacancy" until the last third. Then it picked up, but only a little. Very disappointing.

That book bored me too. I couldn't finish it. But check out the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (a pseudonym of J.K. Rowling). It's a series of mysteries. Very interesting protagonist, an absorbing read. Quite good IMO.

The Cuckoo's Calling"

• toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »

That book bored me too. I couldn't finish it. But check out the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (a pseudonym of J.K. Rowling). It's a series of mysteries. Very interesting protagonist, an absorbing read. Quite good IMO.

The Cuckoo's Calling"

I’ve read all of her Galbraith books and really enjoyed them. The Casual Vacancy seems to have just totally missed the mark.
  • danirobyn
    danirobyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently finished Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine which was one of the best novels that I have read in quite a while. I am now reading the classic that is Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Was on vacation, so I caught up on some "want to read" books!

Wonder
    Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Wrinkle in Time
    Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass series, book 4)

Next up (by recommendation) - Magician Apprentice
  • CaptainFantastic01
    edited March 2018
    Options

The Cuckoo's Calling"

Oooh I didn't like those ones, but I read them because Jk rowling
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Off topic:

TIA.

Does your library use the overdrive app? I listen to most of books through overdrive. I just check out my book through my library online and download to the app. I listen to a lot of books, so I love free audio books.

This. I also use the Overdrive app through my library...This is where I get all of my audiobooks.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    Options
    danirobyn wrote: »
    I have recently finished Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine which was one of the best novels that I have read in quite a while. I am now reading the classic that is Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.

Dude i was reading that and set it aside! Real good huh? I will have to pick it back up
  • CaptainFantastic01
    Options
    Was on vacation, so I caught up on some "want to read" books!

Wonder
    Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Wrinkle in Time
    Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass series, book 4)

Next up (by recommendation) - Magician Apprentice

Love those first two
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options

The Cuckoo's Calling"

Oooh I didn't like those ones, but I read them because Jk rowling

Did you read The Casual Vacancy? If so, what did you think of that one?
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    The Goldfinch -Donna Tartt.

I love love loved The Secret History. I've read it at least 5 times. I couldn't finish The Goldfinch, though. I was so bored. Maybe I should try again...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The good girl mary kubica

Oh, I liked this one.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

The Cuckoo's Calling"

Read it - actually listened to it in the car, but, same difference. MUCH better adult fare from Rowling.
  • change_gonna_come_1_day
    Options
    I'm reading psychology , medical terminology, nutrition and comp book. Lol I so wish i had time for rec reading