Calorie Counter

Message Boards Chit-Chat
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What book are you reading?

Replies

• BrustMannEinerBrustMannEiner Member Posts: 360 Member Member Posts: 360 Member
    IEEE standards
  • KetoNewLifeKetoNewLife Member Posts: 88 Member Member Posts: 88 Member
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 1,260 Member Member Posts: 1,260 Member
    Thanks:) Oh my god, I don't even know if I can watch that, and go through it again, though! It was so frustating to read and fortunately I can't really relate to Tess at all, but I was researching some family history of my great- great grandmother who married at 13 and thought of her a lot.
    fstrickl wrote: »
    I'm reading Thomas Hardy for the first time, this year. Tess of the d'Urbervilles is my favorite so far & probably one of the best books I've ever read.

Oh my gosh. Tess is one of my favourites! The tragedy. I’m ridiculously excited. Feel free to DM me and tell me what you think!

PS: BBC did mini series of it a out 10 years ago and it’s pretty good.

edited August 22
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 1,260 Member Member Posts: 1,260 Member
    Here is her wedding picture. She doesn't look happy:/
    qemtxez3prix.jpg
  • Reckoner69_lmaoReckoner69_lmao Member Posts: 1,000 Member Member Posts: 1,000 Member
    Monster of the week: tome of mysteries

Sounds intriguing! What’s it about?

Also...I need to hang out in this thread more! 🤓

It's a game book, rules and adventures in a horror-esque setting
  • melaniedscottmelaniedscott Member Posts: 474 Member Member Posts: 474 Member
    My son insists I’ll like it,
    getting ready to start the series.

1mcn3enh80gv.jpeg

I'm not a huge Niven fan (I don't dislike any thing, I just don't actively seek him out) but he is a good writer.
    edited August 22
  • fstricklfstrickl Member Posts: 706 Member Member Posts: 706 Member
    qemtxez3prix.jpg

Oh wow! So cool that you have access to that photo. And your GG Grandma definitely does not look thrilled! How old was her husband, do you know?

Yes, fortunately I can’t relate to Tess! Hardy’s description of his imaginary rural England is beautiful though, it makes me want to (re)visit England! Far from the Madding Crowd is a good one too.

Apparently the scene where *spoilers* Tess is encountered in the woods is debated about whether or not it was a consensual act, which added to its shock at the time. I’d need to reread it but as I recall she seemed pretty NOT OKAY with the encounter.
    I think he was 21 or 22. I had started researching them at the same time that I read the book.I think she was born in the1880s so the book helped me to understand what sort of world she was living in at the time. Yes, it was a bit unclear about that encounter, and actually the whole time I read it I was sort of asking myself if what she was saying and thinking were really her true feelings.:) I might read Far from the Madding Crowd next. I found most of his books for free on Google Book app! The way he writes is definately captivating. I want to read them all.:)
    qemtxez3prix.jpg

Oh wow! So cool that you have access to that photo. And your GG Grandma definitely does not look thrilled! How old was her husband, do you know?

Yes, fortunately I can’t relate to Tess! Hardy’s description of his imaginary rural England is beautiful though, it makes me want to (re)visit England! Far from the Madding Crowd is a good one too.

Apparently the scene where *spoilers* Tess is encountered in the woods is debated about whether or not it was a consensual act, which added to its shock at the time. I’d need to reread it but as I recall she seemed pretty NOT OKAY with the encounter.

• confusionmavenconfusionmaven Member Posts: 30 Member Member Posts: 30 Member
    Circe by Madeline Miller
  • ThetwitchisbackThetwitchisback Member Posts: 462 Member Member Posts: 462 Member
    It’s trash and I love it
    jvtv9xhrcht4.jpeg
  • fictionreader91fictionreader91 Member Posts: 27 Member Member Posts: 27 Member
    Currently on Dead Mans folly by Agatha Christie, a book called nightmare (horror) and Mrs Pankhurst’s purple feather x
    Yes, I went ahead and took the plunge, and tried to make a visually stimulating shelfie!:)

xwoiqcaibq7i.jpg
  • tnh2otnh2o Member Posts: 108 Member Member Posts: 108 Member
    White Rage
  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 790 Member Member Posts: 790 Member
    The book of Job
  • kuhlbrzkuhlbrz Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    Good morning. Currently reading:

An Honest Thief
    Short story by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • piggy_smallspiggy_smalls Member Posts: 119 Member Member Posts: 119 Member
    The Conscious Resistance: Reflections On Anarchy And Spirituality by Derrick Broze and John Vibes
  • 4legsRbetterthan24legsRbetterthan2 Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,291 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,291 MFP Moderator
    It’s trash and I love it
    jvtv9xhrcht4.jpeg

such a fun series though!
  • 4legsRbetterthan24legsRbetterthan2 Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,291 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,291 MFP Moderator
    just wrapped up the the inheritance series on audible, I started the series a long time ago before it was completed and never got back to it to see how it ends until now. A bit sad in the end but also a very interesting and different ending that I was anticipating.

Just started White Fragility, trying to broaden my mind a bit.

Physically reading the red rising trilogy still. I'm still not in love with it, but kinda of just keep going through it because I don't have anything I am itching to get into at the moment.
  • BrustMannEinerBrustMannEiner Member Posts: 360 Member Member Posts: 360 Member
    More referring to rather than reading but DoD Cybersecurity Test and Evaluation Guidebook and NIST SP 800-171
  • MotorsheenMotorsheen Member Posts: 18,313 Member Member Posts: 18,313 Member
    I just finished this:

9780194790956-us.jpg

and I gotta admit, I'm a little embarrassed that it's taken me this long to read it ( don't judge me; I've been busy.)

anyway, it's not what I expected and was simply a work of art.

I just started this & it's pretty cool:

9781494570750.jpg