Olive oil alternative

Can anyone recommend an alternative to olive oil that isn't too processed? Mainly for roasting veggies and cooking omelettes etc

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    All oils are processed.. They aren't just naturally flowing around. But if anything, look into extra virgin olive oils, coconut oil or another seed oil (although these all get really expensive).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited October 2017
    Grapeseed oil has a higher smoke point, which means it can withstand higher temperatures. It's also, as the PP points out, hella expensive. Like, it's probably the ideal oil for deep frying, except for its tendency to bankrupt the user when used in large quantities.
  • steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    I use coconut oil for different things when cooking.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Butter. You can even make your own at home.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I love coconut oil for roasted and grilled veggies- I think it really brings out the natural sweetness of the veggies. I also use it for meat and seafood (especially shrimp) and popcorn. If you don't like a strong olive oil taste, extra light olive oil does the same job without adding a ton of flavor.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Avocado oil is better/more stable for cooking @ higher temps than olive oil. Olive oil is better for topping already cooked foods (salads, etc).
    I’m Greek; olive oil is in my blood, lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I like coconut oil purely because it is easier to measure out by gram than is any liquid oil.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We'd have to know what your problem is with olive oil to recommend a good alternative for you.

You would think that, wouldn't you? Doesn't seem to be stopping other folks, though. :smile:
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    We'd have to know what your problem is with olive oil to recommend a good alternative for you.

You would think that, wouldn't you? Doesn't seem to be stopping other folks, though. :smile:

I gave my answer because butter is always the answer. Circumstance doesn't matter.

^^^ It's true. Butter IS always the answer.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I gave my answer because butter is always the answer. Circumstance doesn't matter.

Except when the answer is bacon. :D
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    DON'T PANIC
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited October 2017
    Bacon Fat!

But really any oil will be processed. That's how you get oil.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    mmapags wrote: »

I make an amazing filet mignon that is sauteed in butter and olive oil (2:1 ratio). And then I wrap it in bacon. So beat that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

I make an amazing filet mignon that is sauteed in butter and olive oil (2:1 ratio). And then I wrap it in bacon. So beat that.

For the win! Next time your making that just remember it's only about 1/2 hour from my house to yours. Just sayin'....