Olive oil alternative

2»

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Relser wrote: »
    Bacon Fat!

But really any oil will be processed. That's how you get oil.

Truth - I cook my bacon on a sheet pan to be able to save the fat.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I love avocado oil.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    @ashliedelgado Me too!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We'd have to know what your problem is with olive oil to recommend a good alternative for you.

You would think that, wouldn't you? Doesn't seem to be stopping other folks, though. :smile:

I gave my answer because butter is always the answer. Circumstance doesn't matter.

Well, I have to admit, you almost have me there. :smile: (Except for high heat.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Relser wrote: »
    Bacon Fat!

But really any oil will be processed. That's how you get oil.

?? I cook mine in a skillet. I don't have any problem saving the fat.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    We'd have to know what your problem is with olive oil to recommend a good alternative for you.

You would think that, wouldn't you? Doesn't seem to be stopping other folks, though. :smile:

I gave my answer because butter is always the answer. Circumstance doesn't matter.

Well, I have to admit, you almost have me there. :smile: (Except for high heat.)

Ghee.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Honestly, there is a finite number of possibilities here. It's another oil, butter, cooking spray and bacon grease. Not exactly endless possibilities. And for those who are really into cooking.. well they probably already know a good alternative. That is why I answered the way I did.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member

I bake my bacon too.

Mainly because it cooks more evenly w/o splatter and frees up the stovetop for other things.

I stopped collecting the bacon fat after I filled a pint jar that I keep in the freezer.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Honestly, there is a finite number of possibilities here. It's another oil, butter, cooking spray and bacon grease. Not exactly endless possibilities. And for those who are really into cooking.. well they probably already know a good alternative. That is why I answered the way I did.

True! As a Chef, you use the fat or fats that is right for the application and flavor profile you want. There is no need to be married to one fat over another, keeping in mind reasonable intake of saturated fats.

For example, today I made a autumn salad that contained sprouted spelt, apple, cucumbers, craisins, pumpkin seeds, almonds, broccoli sprouts and lime juice with Toasted Sesame Oil as the fat. The nutty flavor of the Toasted Sesame Oil was just the right thing and gave a better flavor layer than EVOO or Sunflower Oil would have. Different tools for different jobs.