"No Garbage Lasagna"

Options

Replies

• nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Please stop perpetuating the belief that certain foods are 'garbage', it's embarrassing for anyone intelligent enough to know that it's a load of...well, garbage

I'm a vegan.
    I've lost 111 pounds.

For me (and most others): "White pasta + too much cheese + highly saturated fatty meat" = lasagna IS garbage. Modifying classics to meet a better diet is, in no way, a bad thing. Borrowing the name of a type of dish is also not a crime.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't like "garbage" in my food. The dinner I made last night I've dubbed my "No Garbage Lasagna". I cut out all cheese, got rid of the noodles, reduced the oil and added way more veggies. Ringing in at 284 calories per (hearty) serving, boasting a deep flavor and being as simple as it is I'm definitely going to be making this one again!

See here for the recipe!: http://antiflabbyarms.blogspot.com/2013/07/recipe-no-garbage-lasagna.html

d0910a7cf8a811e29f1422000a1fbc0e_7.jpg

31d2f4d6f8ad11e293af22000a9e05e8_7.jpg

Cheese and pasta are garbage?

Recipe sounds awesome without cheese, noodles and bechamel
  • nleighp
    Options
    Might try that as a side dish, but have to agree with others it is an insult to real Italian lasagna. Certainly do appreciate free recipe ideas though, I would just have to call this something besides lasanga. :)

I make diet lasagna using the whole wheat noodles, soy meat crumbles, shredded skim milk cheeses and sauce, and it is pretty friggin awesome to eat, have it with a salad and you can stay under 500 calories with it and have hardly any fat in it. Oh, and I do have my garlic bread too, brush cut bread with grapeseed oil, shakes some spices on it and then grill it on skillet (add no extra oils or fats). I think it's important to not feel you are missing out on everything good in life, because you won't stay on track for a lifetime if you use plans that are too stringent and restricting. I tried the other way, and I lost weight and kept it off for two years but then fell off-track and gained all the weight back plus extra because I was sick of being deprived of my favorite meals, so now I am learning to adapt those favorites where they are still delicious but healthier.

This isn't a restriction for me. I don't eat dairy so cheese is a non issue.
    As for pasta, I've never been a big fan anyway.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. :)
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Wow! That actually looks pretty tasty
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Without pasta and cheese, all you made was ratatouille. Looks good though.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Please stop perpetuating the belief that certain foods are 'garbage', it's embarrassing for anyone intelligent enough to know that it's a load of...well, garbage

I'm a vegan.
    I've lost 111 pounds.

For me (and most others): "White pasta + too much cheese + highly saturated fatty meat" = lasagna IS garbage. Modifying classics to meet a better diet is, in no way, a bad thing. Borrowing the name of a type of dish is also not a crime.

But this dish HAS a name. It is a veggie bake / crumble.

Edit: and no to most others cheese, meat and pasta are NOT garbage.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That isn't lasagna.
  • ThanksB
    ThanksB Posts: 4
    Options
    What the bleeping hell?

Sorry but this recipe is garbage!!!

LASAGNA WITH NO PASTA?!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm a vegan.
    I've lost 111 pounds.

Oh. Well. I eat real lasagna (and other manners of white pasta, too much cheese, and all the fatty meat) and have never had 111 pound to lose.

Now don't I come off as superior? ...or maybe I just come off as a tool. Either way I now declare myself the authority on what is garbage food. Real lasagna= not garbage.
  • nleighp
    Options
    I could care less what anyone calls it.

I adapted from a recipe that called it a lasagna.

Rational: Remove noodle + add other wheat product (bread)

Similar enough?

Apparently not for the overly offended Italians, it seems? >_>
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It is not a lasagna.

I would call it a tomato au gratin...maybe.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    FYI, it isn't called lasagna because of the combination of ingredients. It is the name of the type of pasta used in the dish. You can make "lasagna" all sorts of ways (even vegan) and it's still lasagna. Without the actual pasta, though, it's not lasagna.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump to save.... Would totally still use cheese tho
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I'm a vegan.
    I've lost 111 pounds.

Oh. Well. I eat real lasagna (and other manners of white pasta, too much cheese, and all the fatty meat) and have never had 111 pound to lose.

Now don't I come off as superior? ...or maybe I just come off as a tool. Either way I now declare myself the authority on what is garbage food. Real lasagna= not garbage.

:drinker:

nleighp: your recipe does look good and it probably tastes wonderful, but I can't stand people that label food as 'garbage'. Eat anything you want in moderation, whether it makes you feel healthy is a personal thing, but no one ever gained weight when eating no more than what they need. Labelling certain foods as garbage is just an excuse to me, i.e. 'I gained weight because I ate pasta and cheese, which I now know is GARBAGE".
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Would scarf.

Would rename.

lol
  • MDHale2013
    Options
    WOW! :smile: That looks AMAZING! How does the bread hold up in the recipe?
  • nleighp
    Options
    FYI, it isn't called lasagna because of the combination of ingredients. It is the name of the type of pasta used in the dish. You can make "lasagna" all sorts of ways (even vegan) and it's still lasagna. Without the actual pasta, though, it's not lasagna.

And that's totally fine by me! It was a play on words, but the internet/text just doesn't translate that very well sometimes.
  • nleighp
    Options
    WOW! :smile: That looks AMAZING! How does the bread hold up in the recipe?

It really does! I was totally surprised. Just make sure to toast it well enough that most of the moisture is gone before adding it to the bake.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Without the actual pasta, though, it's not lasagna.

This. You could have omitted the cheese and it still would have been a cheese-less lasagna. But without the pasta... it's not lasagna.
  • nleighp
    Options
    Would scarf.

Would rename.

lol

^^^ Best comment so far. :D