"No Garbage Lasagna"

Options

Replies

• lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    FYI, it isn't called lasagna because of the combination of ingredients. It is the name of the type of pasta used in the dish. You can make "lasagna" all sorts of ways (even vegan) and it's still lasagna. Without the actual pasta, though, it's not lasagna.

And that's totally fine by me! It was a play on words, but the internet/text just doesn't translate that very well sometimes.
    Call it what you will. It looks healthy and delicious so its a WIN
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    nleighp: your recipe does look good and it probably tastes wonderful, but I can't stand people that label food as 'garbage'. Eat anything you want in moderation, whether it makes you feel healthy is a personal thing, but no one ever gained weight when eating no more than what they need. Labelling certain foods as garbage is just an excuse to me, i.e. 'I gained weight because I ate pasta and cheese, which I now know is GARBAGE".

I completely understand your point. And I think MFP has a lot of misinformation on the boards. Was not my intention to contribute to that.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Please stop perpetuating the belief that certain foods are 'garbage', it's embarrassing for anyone intelligent enough to know that it's a load of...well, garbage

I'm a vegan.
    I've lost 111 pounds.

For me (and most others): "White pasta + too much cheese + highly saturated fatty meat" = lasagna IS garbage. Modifying classics to meet a better diet is, in no way, a bad thing. Borrowing the name of a type of dish is also not a crime.

I'm an omnivore.
    I've lost 83 pounds.

For me (and most others): "White pasta + loads of cheese + yummy meat" = lasagna that is heavenly! Modifying the classics to meet a diet is, in every way, personal opinion and not fact. Borrowing the name a type of dish and changing the recipe completely as to alter that dish beyond recognition, while not a crime..is still wrong.

Now...did knowing I'm an omnivore and I've lost 83 lbs help my statement any? Neither does you being vegan or losing 111 pounds have to do with believing certain food is garbage.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    FYI, it isn't called lasagna because of the combination of ingredients. It is the name of the type of pasta used in the dish. You can make "lasagna" all sorts of ways (even vegan) and it's still lasagna. Without the actual pasta, though, it's not lasagna.

Yep, no lasagna noodles, no lasagna.

Looks like a great, healthy, tasty dish. Even so, I'd object to the characterization of noodles and cheese as "garbage." They're really a bit like vegans, they're fine in moderation, you just shouldn't go overboard.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't get why noodles are "garbage" but bread is not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm pretty sure it's punishable by death to remove cheese from an Italian dish that is supposed to have cheese.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Then that is not lasagna... that is just meat and vegetables layered...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Pasta is atually fairly low in calories. You could have made a fairly decent lasagna by just cutting out some of the cheese and replacing the ground beef or sausage with a ground turkey variety.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Btw, I am eating real lasagna.... and it is good. I'm getting all my macro nutrients in one dish....
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Oh HELL no! :laugh:

I make my mom's lasagna - the lasagna of my youth. Classic lasagna with noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and ground beef (ground turkey can be substituted). I will never deviate! Never!!
  • nleighp
    Options

Depends on the quality of the noodle and the bread.

White noodles have lower micro nutrients than nutrient dense flaxseed bread.
  • nleighp
    Options
    Oh HELL no! :laugh:

I make my mom's lasagna - the lasagna of my youth. Classic lasagna with noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and ground beef (ground turkey can be substituted). I will never deviate! Never!!

And you know what-- you don't have to!

This recipe is for people that might want to try something a little different.
  • nleighp
    Options
    Also, I'm pretty sure it's punishable by death to remove cheese from an Italian dish that is supposed to have cheese.

I'm still kicking, lol! :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Well I know you probably don't have one handy because you already would have done this, but if you had a pasta machine, you could easily make a flaxseed lasagna noodle.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm still kicking, lol! :D
    Well, you didn't actually make lasagna, so you got off on a technicality.
  • nleighp
    Options

Yep, no lasagna noodles, no lasagna.

Looks like a great, healthy, tasty dish. Even so, I'd object to the characterization of noodles and cheese as "garbage." They're really a bit like vegans, they're fine in moderation, you just shouldn't go overboard.

Overall, I support this post. I was harsh calling noodles and cheese "garbage" and while my personal opinion has not changed it is just that. An opinion.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

*nods*

This is what I was wondering.....
  • nleighp
    Options

Well I know you probably don't have one handy because you already would have done this, but if you had a pasta machine, you could easily make a flaxseed lasagna noodle.

I've been begging for a pasta roller for ages. Some day!!
  • nleighp
    Options

*nods*

This is what I was wondering.....

See previous posts addressing this.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm ok with no noodles (gluten intolerance)

but no cheese? That's my issue. But still looks delicious!