HAS THE TDEE REALLY WORKED FOR YOU?

13»

Replies

• Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Yes, MFP gives you 1200 calories BUT your suppose to eat back your exercise calories!!

We need more info. Age, weight, height and what kind of exercises do you do?

I know people say that but tell me, am I really supposed to eat back the 1,540 exercise calories I have burned from today so far when I am on a 1,375 calorie goal?

With your logic you're -165 calories for the day.

No, actually with my logic I am at 1375 calories like I choose to be and that is what I consume. 87 days, 68 lbs lost
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    FOR ME, I have chosen to make the simple (because it is)......

I must burn 3,500 calories more than I consume to lose each pound and the greater the distance between consuming and burning calories, the more I lose.

That I have done 68 times which resulted in my losing 68 lbs. I have heard of the TDEE (ways to justify eating more and still be on a diet), the "eat more to lose more? and many more which you have heard of as well.

I must burn 3,500 calories more than I consume to lose each pound and the greater the distance between consuming and burning calories, the more I lose..

I'm confused.
    Are you on the "eat very little, exercise a lot" program?

Nothing to be confused about really. I chose my calorie level and that is what I consume. Exercise, to me, is simply to increase weight loss........ 68 lbs in 87 days
    What is a sample exercise routine in a day?

Ps. You are still missing the point that what you are posting is IMPOSSIBLE.

It's obvious that you are counting TDEE as "exercise" which it is not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Yes, MFP gives you 1200 calories BUT your suppose to eat back your exercise calories!!

I know people say that but tell me, am I really supposed to eat back the 1,540 exercise calories I have burned from today so far when I am on a 1,375 calorie goal?

Unless you are under estimating your food, or over estimating your exercise... yes, you should.

** I hope you don't take this as mean because it is not meant to be because it is obvious you are a nice person (Seeing your posts most days) BUT

Actually it was just to make a point because I simply don't eat back calories burned because I see it as eating back the fat you just worked your butt off burning.

I see it as in the 3 days of the last 119 days where I sent over, it kept me from being over in calories....... The other 116 days I have stuck within my calorie goals. I do log in absolutely everything and weigh and measure everything.

Have a great day :)

That's definitely a different mindset. I exercise to get strong, not to burn fat. In fact, humans don't technically "burn fat" when exercising. That's a myth.
  • Donald_Dozier_50

To burn 1,540 calories working out you would have to workout at LEAST 2+ hours of VERY high intensity! 1,540 calories a day is the equivalent of running a 1/2 marathon each and every day (running at around 6mph). Or as another example...a typical Insanity Max Interval session would burn about 800 calories (and that is a high estimate). That would mean that you are doing DOUBLE Insanity Max workouts each day. You must LOVE to workout.

Your calculations are WAY off.

Ps. Just noticed you said "burned from today so far". So you plan on working out even more??????

The short answer is the ONLY exercise I can do because of permanent numerous disabilities is walking and yes I go out walking for exercise at distances of 1 1/2 miles and up throughout the day and night.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    So far it's worked for me. One more thing though, nursing mothers really need more calories so it the suggested caloric intake seems high perhaps that is being taken into consideration. Either way, good luck to you :smile:
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Yep. I was on 1300 calories a day, and eating back exercise calories. I wasn't really losing anything - maybe a lb here or there, but I'd be just as likely to gain it back a week later. I started TDEE-15% about 5 weeks ago, and look how my chart has changed!

fyhpit.jpg

MFP + exercise cals and TDEE-x% generally work out to be pretty close. Did anything else change in your routine?

No, my routine has stayed pretty much the same, except that now I am eating more. So I was on MFP at 1300 calories a day x 7 days + ~1500 exercise calories = 10,600 calories/wk. Now I am at 1700 x 7 = 11,900 calories/wk.
  • Donald_Dozier_50

To burn 1,540 calories working out you would have to workout at LEAST 2+ hours of VERY high intensity! 1,540 calories a day is the equivalent of running a 1/2 marathon each and every day (running at around 6mph). Or as another example...a typical Insanity Max Interval session would burn about 800 calories (and that is a high estimate). That would mean that you are doing DOUBLE Insanity Max workouts each day. You must LOVE to workout.

Your calculations are WAY off.

Ps. Just noticed you said "burned from today so far". So you plan on working out even more??????

The short answer is the ONLY exercise I can do because of permanent numerous disabilities is walking and yes I go out walking for exercise at distances of 1 1/2 miles and up throughout the day and night.

AND my walking is 10 miles average pre day with the most being 31.79 miles (in one day) and many days over 20 miles.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

31 Yrs old
    5 ' 7; 174 lbs
    exercise 300 squats 5 x's a week
    Spin bike: 15-20 mins 3 times a week
    weights: 2 x's per week
    Jillian Michaels: 30 day shred 4 x's a week

I put in moderate exercise and at -20% TDEE, here are the results:

BMR: 1575
    TDEE: 2441
    -20% TDEE: 1953
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Yes, TDEE works, MFP had me on 1800 calories, and I was starving, dizzy and plagued with headaches. I switched to TDEE which put me at about 2500, (a little more but I set MFP to 2500 for a nice round number) I have more energy for my workouts, no headaches or dizziness, and even last week when I only made it to the gym once and ate like crap due to vacation, I still kept the scale moving in the right direction. I have also increased my lifting weight where before I was stuck.

TDEE works, have faith.

Rigger
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I have heard of the TDEE (ways to justify eating more and still be on a diet), the "eat more to lose more?

I don't understand why this is an issue or even brought up. Do people really think they must be starving to lose weight? Seriously, it's why so many people fail. I don't understand this stigma against eating a normal amount of food.

There really is very little difference in calories a 200 lb woman needs to maintain her weight and a 140 lb woman needs. That extra 600 calories or so just adds up over time. So if it takes 2600 calories to maintain 200 lb and 2000 calories to maintain 140 lb, eating at 2000 calories is a sensible deficit. One that most people can probably maintain.

To the OP, TDEE works. The tricky part is making sure the estimated burn number is accurate and you're logging is accurate. Especially the closer you get to GW. I'd like to drop a smidge more body fat (1-2%). I don't want to big a deficit because I don't want to lose muscle, so I try to be as accurate as possible logging, I've had my RMR tested, and I use a body media. Still, that tiny difference in the last few pounds is tricky.

FWIW, I'm 5'5", 130lb, 20% BF. I exercise every day, but no crazy cardio except mountain biking 1-2x/week. I generally eat 1800-2000 calories/day. It isn't unusual for me to go over that 1800-2000 on a Fri or Sat or both.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

No, actually with my logic I am at 1375 calories like I choose to be and that is what I consume. 87 days, 68 lbs lost

For a man you should be eating way more than this!! Even most women should eat more than this!! :noway:

Edit to add: Not to be mean, but good luck keeping the weight off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    So this morning I decided to try something new considering I have not seen a budge yet in weight loss for about 2 1/2 weeks. I went ahead and took some advice others have given me from a past post and calculated my tdee. Could this really work considering my tdee came out to a whopping 2441?? When you minus the 20 % = 1,952 calories does that seem right? That seems kind of high. MFP suggests I stay on a 1,200 calorie daily. I do not usually do 1,200 because I am still nursing I try to stay at about 1,500 daily. NICE FRIENDLY ADVICE PLEASE thanks..........

It's 6 of 1 if you're doing it right....also, you need to compare apples to apples. MFP's 1200 goal is NET, not gross...you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories as they are not included in your activity level. Secondly, the 1200 net goal is generally for roughly 2 Lbs per week loss goal...TDEE - 20% is roughly 1 Lb per week...again, you're comparing apples to oranges.

You may need to play with your TDEE a bit...it includes an estimate of your exercise in the activity level (unlike MFP) and it's a bit subjective...IMHO, just like people overestimate burn when they're doing MFP, they tend to overestimate activity when switching to TDEE.

As I said, it's really 6 of 1 if you're doing this properly. When I did MFP, my NET calorie goal was 1,850 calories...plus exercise usually gave me about 2100-2200 gross calories. My TDEE is 2,700 calories (includes estimated exercise)...2700 - 20% = 2,160 gross calories.

So you see...with MFP I was grossing between 2100 and 2200 calories...and 2,160 calories with TDEE - 20%...6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

Also, to the poster who said it's an excuse to eat more or whatever...you're a moron and haven't a damn clue what you're talking about.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member

The more weight you have to drop the easier it is - until you start getting closer to your target weight. I started MFP and dropped weight consistently...1.5 - 2 lbs per week....38lbs total..... Easy as pie.

Based on my success, hell, I had all the answers, but then I readjusted (reduced by 200 cals) my daily calories for my new weight and everything seized up like a peach pit eating dawg! I hit a plateau for over 3 months. Today I can only tell ya that I dont have a lot of answers.

I upped my calories to maintenance and still nothing. I ate and ate and finally saw my weight increase. I gained!

I did a lot of research and communicated with people who have been down the same road. I made an educated decision about TDEE and have decided it was a very legitimate plan. Based on my experience and that of my sources, youre not doing TDEE justice and should quit advocating what youre doing. It's unhealthy.

The point is, is that so far youve been dropping weight; but you just may be headed for serious problems, youre not eating enough. Trust me on this.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I love when threads get hijacked by people who have no idea what they're doing and like to give the OP dangerous advice. /sarcasm