Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    i measure yes. and i scan most of my food by the bar code so the correct entry is used.

measure how? cups/spoons? if so it's not accurate

neither are the scans..sorry.

I've scanned in things like bread and it came up as mountain dew...no joke.

correct entries are those from USDA or those that you know match the nutrition on the package per gram and even then the package can be off by 20%

To add to this, there are some entries in the MFP database that are off by crazy amounts. For a time, they listed a clove of garlic at 16,000 calories. So I usually compare the USDA listing to the MFP and, if it's something I use often, I'll just save it as one of my foods so I know it's correct.

I do that too. Most of the food i eat is repetition so it's nice to gave the info handy when it comes to logging.

If i eat say, a cup of corn flake i scan the box, look at the result in MFT and if it's the same as what it says on the box, im good to go.

I have logged food for a long time, i am aware that sometimes it's off. I believe i am logging correctly. I will keep doing what im doing and see what the scale says in a couples of week, if i don't see improvements i will either, check with my doctor, add more cardio, take my measurements or..... buy a new scale!! hahaha.

okay perfect example is the cereal.

1 cup of corn flakes or 28 grams = 101 calories..and based on my experience with cereal...1 cup is a lot more than 28 grams and the calories are based on the grams not the cups...

so chances are you are eating anywhere from 125-150 calories worth of cereal...jsut saying.

but I see from above that not once in your little spiel about "if it doesn't work" did you say I am going to get a food scale and log that way...but check with yoru doctor...*sighs*

and with that I am done...

ps I just don't understand why people are so determined taht logging accurately with a food scale won't help them...

I don't remember mentioning in here that i don't measure my food, i do. Listen, im all about tough love and being accountable. I am a lawyer afterall, i am all about details, i am my own best critic, i am ruthlyss and VERY driven . What i take issue with is, when you put yourself out there, seek advise, encouragement and support from others... which is very difficult for people to do, and you get responses like :

******but I see from above that not once in your little spiel about "if it doesn't work" did you say I am going to get a food scale and log that way...but check with yoru doctor...*sighs*

ps I just don't understand why people are so determined taht logging accurately with a food scale won't help them*****

I don't think you are purposely trying to be mean and or assume the worst, i am comfortable taking critic, i just think you shouldn't assume i am not taking this seriously and or/ making excuses. I do have a scale, and i do measure my portions.

I am on my 5th day of logging after all, i will finish my seeing results and achieving my goals.

NEXT.

You are on the right path. Give it some time, measure and adjust as necessary. Who knows why some people get their panties in a bunch. You were of the path and now you are back on. There is always some margin of error in logging. I thought you did great accepting some very direct observations from me and others and taking action appropriately.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    i measure yes. and i scan most of my food by the bar code so the correct entry is used.

correct entries are those from USDA or those that you know match the nutrition on the package per gram and even then the package can be off by 20%

To add to this, there are some entries in the MFP database that are off by crazy amounts. For a time, they listed a clove of garlic at 16,000 calories. So I usually compare the USDA listing to the MFP and, if it's something I use often, I'll just save it as one of my foods so I know it's correct.

I do that too. Most of the food i eat is repetition so it's nice to gave the info handy when it comes to logging.

If i eat say, a cup of corn flake i scan the box, look at the result in MFT and if it's the same as what it says on the box, im good to go.

I have logged food for a long time, i am aware that sometimes it's off. I believe i am logging correctly. I will keep doing what im doing and see what the scale says in a couples of week, if i don't see improvements i will either, check with my doctor, add more cardio, take my measurements or..... buy a new scale!! hahaha.

1 cup of corn flakes or 28 grams = 101 calories..and based on my experience with cereal...1 cup is a lot more than 28 grams and the calories are based on the grams not the cups...

so chances are you are eating anywhere from 125-150 calories worth of cereal...jsut saying.

but I see from above that not once in your little spiel about "if it doesn't work" did you say I am going to get a food scale and log that way...but check with yoru doctor...*sighs*

ps I just don't understand why people are so determined taht logging accurately with a food scale won't help them...

I don't remember mentioning in here that i don't measure my food, i do. Listen, im all about tough love and being accountable. I am a lawyer afterall, i am all about details, i am my own best critic, i am ruthlyss and VERY driven . What i take issue with is, when you put yourself out there, seek advise, encouragement and support from others... which is very difficult for people to do, and you get responses like :

******but I see from above that not once in your little spiel about "if it doesn't work" did you say I am going to get a food scale and log that way...but check with yoru doctor...*sighs*

ps I just don't understand why people are so determined taht logging accurately with a food scale won't help them*****

I don't think you are purposely trying to be mean and or assume the worst, i am comfortable taking critic, i just think you shouldn't assume i am not taking this seriously and or/ making excuses. I do have a scale, and i do measure my portions.

I am on my 5th day of logging after all, i will finish my seeing results and achieving my goals.

NEXT.

okay then you should understand that weighing and measuring is two different methods right??? measures are in cups and spoons and weighing is in grams...and there are huge differences between 1 cup and 28 grams of cereal.

and no I am not trying to be mean but when people say that they are logging XXXX but gaining...there are only a couple reasons...and so I asked and you said you measured...which is not weighing...and that you scan so the entries are correct which they aren't and I gave examples as did others...

so if you are detailed oriented you would be taking what we are saying and either explaining that you do use your food scale (however you said cup of cereal) or admit you don't weigh your food and it might help ...and I have logged everyday since June 13th 2013...save the days I am south on vacation...so 5 days of logging is moot in the large scheme of things...

and now I am done unless another post is directed at me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

NEXT.

I think there is a bit of miscommunication on how words are being used. When people say "measure" here, they often mean they measure with spoons and cups, and "weigh" with the scale, so it was misunderstood. I hope you will start seeing results soon.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Op, just for clarification, are you using a good scale to determine portion sizes?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? I usually do, and I've had success doing it but I have a lot of weight to lose. Lots of people on here say only eat back 1/2 or some fraction of them. I think it could make a big difference because 45 minutes of running on a machine or elliptical is different than running on a track or in the street, and could be off. Also, are you including the hot yoga in the calculations and what kind of calorie burn is that? It also could be that if you are eating back calories, that the body has easily adjusted to that amount of exercise since you've been doing it for 2 years. You mentioned you increased by 15 minutes, but that may not account for the 1 year or more that your body got used to it.

I increase/change my workout every month or every 10 lbs. loss, but that's just me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Op, just for clarification, are you using a good scale to determine portion sizes?

this question has been asked 6x...and the answer is " I measure"
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain because I was there too. I have always been active, lifting weights, routinely run 5km, golf, work construction, long walks, etc. It wasn't until I got my diet under control that I was able to lose weight. Adding exercise and slightly improving diet can have a initial impact, but will only take you so far as you are witnessing.

Log accurately and plan your meals wisely. It is by far the biggest bang for your buck
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just wanted to throw in that not all people here are native speakers of English, nor do different dialects and sociolects give the exact same meaning to all words.

And in general "weighting" is a word for "taking a measurement of mass with a scale". So what you are doing is measuring. So can everyone please not pick on the fact that people can mean weighting but write measuring, even though other people only use measuring for measuring by volume?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement#Mass

Measuring is the more general word, weighting is more specific as it informs you about the property which is measured.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    I just wanted to throw in that not all people here are native speakers of English, nor do different dialects and sociolects give the exact same meaning to all words.

And in general "weighting" is a word for "taking a measurement of mass with a scale". So what you are doing is measuring. So can everyone please not pick on the fact that people can mean weighting but write measuring, even though other people only use measuring for measuring by volume?

Measuring is the more general word, weighting is more specific as it informs you about the property which is measured.

pretty sure OP's native language is English.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yup considering they live 45mins from me (according to their profile)...unless it's french in which case they are in NB anyway and can read/speak english with the best of us...

I am not trying to harp on the OP by any means but I do hate to see someone frustrated and going down a path that may not lead to success esp when the question has been asked..and asked...and asked.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I know you said you were done, but in case you come back, just try a simple experiment. Measure your cup of corn flakes as usual, then weigh them. If the weight is indeed 28 grams, then OK. But cereal is definelty one of the trickier items to use cups for.
    The is also a great video that maybe someone will post for you. It’s your decision, but what have you got to lose? (pun intended!)
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    classic "woe is me please help" thread

problem identified, suitable and likely effective advice given

OP stomps off in huff
  • NotGuiltylawyer
    NotGuiltylawyer Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Yup considering they live 45mins from me (according to their profile)...unless it's french in which case they are in NB anyway and can read/speak english with the best of us...

I am not trying to harp on the OP by any means but I do hate to see someone frustrated and going down a path that may not lead to success esp when the question has been asked..and asked...and asked.

My native language is French. Canadienne Francaise pour etre plus precise! mais je parle l'anglais.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You came back! Brave lawyer. Here's what 30g of cereal looks like.

30g-of-cereal-does-not-a-portion-make-lrg.png
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Jumped on the scale this morning, lost 1.5 lbs! Whatever I am doing seems to be working so far, so YAY! Thank you for all your advise. I will certainly keep on putting into practice what I learned over the past week. Have a great weekend fitness pals!

Nice!