I cannot seem to give up Soda, where do I even begin?

Options
12346»

Replies

• JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    millerdan1 wrote: »
    Flavored seltzer water really helped me, and I often will have hot tea in the afternoon for a caffeine fix. After a couple months you won't miss the sugar.

Bigelow vanilla caramel black tea is my jam! I drink it in the am after getting to work.
  • khan2187
    khan2187 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It has been 2 weeks now I have successfully managed not to touch Soda!

Although there is a catch to it, I substitute it with this drink called "Vimto Fruit Cordial" and the flavor is so strong in vimto I cannot manage to drink more than 1/4 of a glass and it pretty much satisfies my soda craving and the fact that it aint soda at all :-)
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer water really helped me, and I often will have hot tea in the afternoon for a caffeine fix. After a couple months you won't miss the sugar.

Bigelow vanilla caramel black tea is my jam! I drink it in the am after getting to work.

That sounds delicious, I'll have to try it!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I personally love those carbonated non mineral, fruit flavored waters. There are several brands of zero calorie onesthat are great. They are loke the old Clearly Canadians, but way cheaper, and they taste like lighter fruit sodas.
  • Luvmetheweighiam
    Luvmetheweighiam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I battle with this as well. It's a process.. now I'm to the point where I have 100 calorie can sodas at one meal a day. After it's gone it's gone. My next move is going to be every other day then eventually plan to cut them off all together. One day at a time
  • Bughunter99
    Bughunter99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    khan2187 wrote: »
    Its been almost six months now I have soda almost everyday (Pepsi, Fanta, Sprite etc...) sometimes as much as 3 glasses a day.

I feel this is doing some hidden internal damage to me (I am beginning to urinate a whole lot more, cannot seem to digest food properly without soda and worst of all the depression that I experience when I don't have a can for more than a day)

I do try to cleanse my body daily with having unsweetened green tea daily (If that even works) and have about 2 liters of plain water daily but I dont think that can really undo the damage caused by soda.

Bottom line, where do I even start to getting rid of such a habit?

I quit cold turkey. It's uncomfortable but the discomfort is short lived.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Random1634 wrote: »
    There is a lot of drama in this thread it seems over soda. Anything can be addicting. Soda is physically and mentally addicting, because of the sugar and caffeine. The way I got myself away from it was by eliminating caffeine. It was miserable at first. For 3 days I had a raging, skull crushing headache, but I knew I was going to feel like garbage. I just fought through it thinking that once it passes I won't have to deal with the dependence anymore. Then I began to work on my sugar intake. That can be a bit of a bigger battle, because it is in almost everything, but once you kick it a lot of other weird food cravings die off also. Sounds simple when written down but I know how much of a struggle it is, best of luck to you!

I knew it was terrible for me when I experienced feeling like absolute garbage when I finally quit it. I will never touch that chemical stew again.

You mean caffeine withdrawal?
  • WhalenJR
    WhalenJR Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was drinking up to 5 monster energy drinks a day for years. After a week in the hospital in January I never picked up another one again and shortly after gave up all soda.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Low calorie fruit juices work for me.
    Ocean Spray Diet Cran-Grape has only 5 cal/serving.
    Welch's Lite Grape Juice has 45 cal/serving.
    Minute Maid has light lemonade, fruit punch, and mango-passion fruit in 5 to 15 cal/serving.
    Trop 50 and Minute Maid light orange juice has 50 cal/serving.

If you must go with soft drinks instead of juice, there are several flavors of the "-TEN" genre. Root Beer, Orange, Ginger Ale, RC Cola, 7 Up, and Dr Pepper. [Dr Pepper no longer supplies the 12 oz version, but I think the 2 liter bottles are still available.] To me, these are closer to the 'real thing' with little or no diet taste.

I second the “soda TEN” suggestion.
  • zcb94
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me is going cold turkey. Avoiding other sugary foods and salty foods helped with the cravings. I also needed to avoid the things that triggered me - being around the sound of my husband opening his cans, for example. I changed my drive home so I don't go past the corner where I used to get a soda every day.

Drinking coffee and eating dark chocolate provides some of the same taste satisfaction, for me, anyway.

I'm a diabetic, so soda is literal poison to me now, but there's no one for whom it's good food. I'm much happier without it.
    What about diet? My doctor okays diet/TEN brand sodas in moderation.
  • zcb94
    Options

I love that stuff too!
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I went from having several cans of regular Coke per day as a teenager, then switched to Diet Coke/Coke Zero, then to Diet Sprite and then eventually weened myself off that to water and unsweetened iced tea. Definitely was not an overnight process. I don't miss it at all, in fact I think most soda tastes disgusting now.