Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'm also a Prime member, so I got the CAP set, and one of the Marcy benches (the collapsible one, since this room will still double as my office/guest room) and the Marcy storage rack.

I'm not super keen with how New Rules thumbs down endurance cardio, since I'm not giving up the half marathon training any time soon, and I love swimming and barre and spin, but I think I can figure out how to work both in, especially since lifting won't require going to the gym.

I’ve read New Rules, Starting Strength, much of the Strong Lifts and A Workout Routine web materials, and am working on Thinner, Leaner, Stronger now, and I’ve found it’s common for strength writers to side-eye cardio, especially the longer endurance stuff. I get it - it’s all about priorities, and if you want to give your all to one thing, it often takes sacrificing other things. I occasionally stress out about this until I remind myself (yet again) that it’s not perfection that matters here, but persistence. Sticking with something at 75% of optimal is better than giving up because 100% optimal makes you miserable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Thanks, all! I'm also a Prime member, so I got the CAP set, and one of the Marcy benches (the collapsible one, since this room will still double as my office/guest room) and the Marcy storage rack.

I'm not super keen with how New Rules thumbs down endurance cardio, since I'm not giving up the half marathon training any time soon, and I love swimming and barre and spin, but I think I can figure out how to work both in, especially since lifting won't require going to the gym.

I’ve read New Rules, Starting Strength, much of the Strong Lifts and A Workout Routine web materials, and am working on Thinner, Leaner, Stronger now, and I’ve found it’s common for strength writers to side-eye cardio, especially the longer endurance stuff. I get it - it’s all about priorities, and if you want to give your all to one thing, it often takes sacrificing other things. I occasionally stress out about this until I remind myself (yet again) that it’s not perfection that matters here, but persistence. Sticking with something at 75% of optimal is better than giving up because 100% optimal makes you miserable.

I think it was Eric Helms who said words to the effect of "It's far better to do something that's 60% optimal 90% of the time, than it is to do something that's 90% optimal 60% of the time."

Oh I like that!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I think it was Eric Helms who said words to the effect of "It's far better to do something that's 60% optimal 90% of the time, than it is to do something that's 90% optimal 60% of the time."

Oh, I like that a lot!

On the note of programs and optimal, I think I'll make a little confession. I've tried them all and realized there were things about them that I liked and hated and that was what made me stop doing them (there's that optimal thing coming into play).

I am now currently doing a program I made up myself consisting of moves I actually enjoy. I ran it by SideSteel and got a few suggestions for accessory moves to add, but overall, it seems I learned enough to put together something I like (which keeps me consistent in doing it) that's effective enough.

Nothing fancy, just basic moves... lunges, goblet squats, RDL's, single arm bent over rows, shoulder presses, bench presses, and weighted glute bridges. SideSteel and PsuLemon suggested adding rear delt flyes and some bicep/tricep moves. I'll add them on alternating days.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I wish I could get a DXA scan. I’m clueless as to what my body fat actually is.

My BMI is just within normal around 24.8. My waist-hip ratio is .69 and My waist height ratio .426. (So for a 50+ year old those ratios are darn good). I’m a pear or almost hourglass. Big thunderous thighs but 27 inch waist.

Strength training for 6 months (I can hardly call it lifting ‘heavy’ tho it is heavy for me). But 3 if those months I was still at a considerable deficit and losing quite a bit of weight.

Now that I’m more or less at maintenance I’m so confused. Not happy with how I look, but I’m almost in XS tops with huge hips that look even bigger next to my nice waist. Honestly I think my body just looks weird and I can’t find pants that flatter me.

Lol, I guess I can’t cater to vanity.

You can use visual images of estimated body fat percentages to get a rough estimate. Note that if you fall under a certain image, it's probably best to select the upper end of that range. Many people don't like to admit they carry more fat than they think.

Optionally, you could ask someone to estimate it for you. I've done it for a few people in this thread, and it's purely clinical, albeit unapologetic with the estimate.

Last option would be to get something like a Skulpt body fat analyzer. It's $99 on amazon, and while it's not a DXA, it is reusable and it's fairly more accurate than BIA scales or handheld monitors.

If you're at maintenance weight, but not visually satisfied, just continue to strength train and gradually increase the load. Heavy is always a relative term, so if it's heavy for you, then it's heavy. If you can do more weight, more reps, or more sets, or any combination of all of those, you are gaining an objective measure of strength which helps with muscle development and by extension, will produce a better body shape.

Thanks so much for your response! I had some troubles (now past) and missed this at the time.

I’m 53 yo, 27 waist and 39 inch hips. 5”3.75 inches tall. I figure about 28-29% fat? Oh yeah about 144 lb. I’m at maintenance now but at the very top top of my BMI normal range. If you think by these pics that I’m drastically over or underestimating my fat percentage do let me know.
    Pictures
    FYI I’ve lost a bit over 50 lb in the past calendar year and have a good deal of saggy skin (but it could be worse so no complaints). rrzagvxudjvt.jpego5uomuwdxwem.jpeg
    My current practice is to eat at maintenance (on a 5:2 IF plan) strength training 2-3 times a week (never on my light calorie days). (I do weights 2X one week and 3X the next). Ample cardio, walking (because I don’t drive) and swimming/hula hoop/mini trampoline for the fun of it —but never too extensive on cardio. I’m no cardio queen!

My goals are really to keep increasing muscle and strength as much as is feasible (I have some physical disabilities to contend with but as a newb to weights these are still pretty irrelevant) and if I go down in size/ improve my appearance that would be highly motivating and gratifying but as an old fart hardly my goal.

I just saw this now, but given the one piece may or may not be accurately showing everything, It's a really rough estimate, but I'm going to say you may be around 35-36% bf, give or take a couple points. Navy calculator puts you at 42% but with only 2/3 data points to run, it's not going to be accurate either: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

There are other calculators online that include more points of measurement to be provide a more accurate reading, as well.

The positive side is that almost anyone is capable of changing their shape given a proper lifting and dieting program. Just be consistent with your lifting and focus on progressively increasing the load (either weights, reps, or sets, or any combination of those), and you will see results over time. Since you may still be new to lifting, you're still prime to show results pretty damn quickly, say in 4-6 months time and take progress pics along the way, you should see changes.

The concept of "stimulate not annihilate" the muscles is enough give them a reason to adapt and change; meaning you don't have to aim for feeling sore all the time. I'm a proponent of using the minimum effective dose for almost everything; e.g. minimum effective weight/sets/reps for muscle stimulus and the minimum effective deficit to lose fat.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

My BMI is just within normal around 24.8. My waist-hip ratio is .69 and My waist height ratio .426. (So for a 50+ year old those ratios are darn good). I’m a pear or almost hourglass. Big thunderous thighs but 27 inch waist.

Strength training for 6 months (I can hardly call it lifting ‘heavy’ tho it is heavy for me). But 3 if those months I was still at a considerable deficit and losing quite a bit of weight.

Now that I’m more or less at maintenance I’m so confused. Not happy with how I look, but I’m almost in XS tops with huge hips that look even bigger next to my nice waist. Honestly I think my body just looks weird and I can’t find pants that flatter me.

You can use visual images of estimated body fat percentages to get a rough estimate. Note that if you fall under a certain image, it's probably best to select the upper end of that range. Many people don't like to admit they carry more fat than they think.

Optionally, you could ask someone to estimate it for you. I've done it for a few people in this thread, and it's purely clinical, albeit unapologetic with the estimate.

Last option would be to get something like a Skulpt body fat analyzer. It's $99 on amazon, and while it's not a DXA, it is reusable and it's fairly more accurate than BIA scales or handheld monitors.

If you're at maintenance weight, but not visually satisfied, just continue to strength train and gradually increase the load. Heavy is always a relative term, so if it's heavy for you, then it's heavy. If you can do more weight, more reps, or more sets, or any combination of all of those, you are gaining an objective measure of strength which helps with muscle development and by extension, will produce a better body shape.

Thanks so much for your response! I had some troubles (now past) and missed this at the time.

I’m 53 yo, 27 waist and 39 inch hips. 5”3.75 inches tall. I figure about 28-29% fat? Oh yeah about 144 lb. I’m at maintenance now but at the very top top of my BMI normal range. If you think by these pics that I’m drastically over or underestimating my fat percentage do let me know.
    Pictures
    FYI I’ve lost a bit over 50 lb in the past calendar year and have a good deal of saggy skin (but it could be worse so no complaints). rrzagvxudjvt.jpego5uomuwdxwem.jpeg
    My current practice is to eat at maintenance (on a 5:2 IF plan) strength training 2-3 times a week (never on my light calorie days). (I do weights 2X one week and 3X the next). Ample cardio, walking (because I don’t drive) and swimming/hula hoop/mini trampoline for the fun of it —but never too extensive on cardio. I’m no cardio queen!

My goals are really to keep increasing muscle and strength as much as is feasible (I have some physical disabilities to contend with but as a newb to weights these are still pretty irrelevant) and if I go down in size/ improve my appearance that would be highly motivating and gratifying but as an old fart hardly my goal.

I just saw this now, but given the one piece may or may not be accurately showing everything, It's a really rough estimate, but I'm going to say you may be around 35-36% bf, give or take a couple points. Navy calculator puts you at 42% but with only 2/3 data points to run, it's not going to be accurate either: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

There are other calculators online that include more points of measurement to be provide a more accurate reading, as well.

The positive side is that almost anyone is capable of changing their shape given a proper lifting and dieting program. Just be consistent with your lifting and focus on progressively increasing the load (either weights, reps, or sets, or any combination of those), and you will see results over time. Since you may still be new to lifting, you're still prime to show results pretty damn quickly, say in 4-6 months time and take progress pics along the way, you should see changes.

The concept of "stimulate not annihilate" the muscles is enough give them a reason to adapt and change; meaning you don't have to aim for feeling sore all the time. I'm a proponent of using the minimum effective dose for almost everything; e.g. minimum effective weight/sets/reps for muscle stimulus and the minimum effective deficit to lose fat.

I’m doing something wrong then, cause navy calculator you linked to came up 27% not 42% when I entered my stats (thank you for link) so I’m just confused. No biggie, tho . (Female, 5’3, 144 lb, 27 waist, 39 hips, 13 neck. ). Thanks

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Pictures

I’m doing something wrong then, cause navy calculator you linked to came up 27% not 42% when I entered my stats (thank you for link) so I’m just confused. No biggie, tho . (Female, 5’3, 144 lb, 27 waist, 39 hips, 13 neck. ). Thanks

I think that's because Anubis didn't have your neck measurement. I got the same thing that he did with the other stats, and when I plug in my stats, it's coming up with an accurate percentage for me (at least when compared against pictures, and the BodPod that I had done -- and with where BodPod compared to my handheld BIA device).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Pictures

I think that's because Anubis didn't have your neck measurement. I got the same thing that he did with the other stats, and when I plug in my stats, it's coming up with an accurate percentage for me (at least when compared against pictures, and the BodPod that I had done -- and with where BodPod compared to my handheld BIA device).

Mine comes lower than what I think I am, and I think I have a pretty good eye. Calipers also measure me lower than what I think I am by eye as well(they're around the same as they Navy thingy). So, I'm going with eye.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my first diet break today. Fingers crossed that is goes well. Kinda hard to get out of the diet mindset. I got 2195 for calories which looks like a whole lot. Good news is I had 4 Oreo ice cream sandwiches with dinner. Hoping to not fill all my extra calories with sweets. Any tips from those successful?