Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Of refeeds and diet breaks

1215216217218219221»

Replies

• SeanD2407SeanD2407 Member, Premium Posts: 139 Member Member, Premium Posts: 139 Member
    So the less you have to lose the more often you should do diet breaks? Can somebody break that down? Is that why the last 5-10lbs are the hardest to lose? Not taking enough breaks?
  • SeanD2407SeanD2407 Member, Premium Posts: 139 Member Member, Premium Posts: 139 Member
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    So the less you have to lose the more often you should do diet breaks? Can somebody break that down? Is that why the last 5-10lbs are the hardest to lose? Not taking enough breaks?

The last 5lbs to lose are the hardest because of how insanely accurate you have to be. For me its taken me almost 6 months to go from the 160-165 range to the 155-160 range. Will probably be even longer to get to 150-155.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 19,026 Member Member Posts: 19,026 Member
    Correct on that concept, I think the extra info you are wondering about is page 2 updates.

Last 5-10 generally because of the accuracy issue. But also body has been under stress potentially for awhile, and waiting for a whoosh or such.

You can also skin that cat a different way since 250 cal deficit can be hard to keep. Take your week diet break.
    Then keep 500 cal deficit for 2 weeks, take another break, then another 2 weeks. 3 weeks to lose 2 lbs instead of 4 on paper, and keeping that deficit perhaps in reality too.
  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Member Posts: 3,039 Member Member Posts: 3,039 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Correct on that concept, I think the extra info you are wondering about is page 2 updates.

Last 5-10 generally because of the accuracy issue. But also body has been under stress potentially for awhile, and waiting for a whoosh or such.

You can also skin that cat a different way since 250 cal deficit can be hard to keep. Take your week diet break.
    Then keep 500 cal deficit for 2 weeks, take another break, then another 2 weeks. 3 weeks to lose 2 lbs instead of 4 on paper, and keeping that deficit perhaps in reality too.

I'm not anywhere near being ready for hte last 10 lbs, but I'm glad to see this post; I had never thought of working it out this way. a 500 calorie deficit would for me be much easier to manage!
  • PsychgrrlPsychgrrl Member Posts: 3,148 Member Member Posts: 3,148 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Categories are based on body fat percentage, can't remember the actual cut off between 2 and 3 (Cat 1 is 24% or below, for women), but based on your weight, you're a Cat 3.

You need to be at maintenance cals for at least a week to get the hormonal benefits, so yes, doing it that was would be fine if it's psychologically easier for you. Longer at maintenance is better, but it's up to you.

I checked my diary for when I was doing re-feeds, I was aiming to hit 300g a day, which was ~50% cals for me. Protein worked out to 30%, fats to 20%, though all of them were actually based on grams per lb of ideal weight. It's all in the video, from memory.

I've only just started adding activity and that's all cardio, so my body fat % is definitely still higher. I'd like to start weights but can't afford both a gym membership and the jiu-jitsu class, so I'm sticking with the jiu-jitsu for now. I don't like weight machines and I really want to start out with a trainer when I can afford it because I want to make sure I've got the forms right and I'm doing it right, and I can't tell that from a video on Youtube.

I am an experienced gym goer. It’ll be a long while before I can go back and do my workout the way I want (it’s not even open yet and when it is only hour-long slots by appointment, no drop-ins.)

I bought a couple sets of resistance bands (max weight for each set is 150 pounds). Love them! I may actually buy a third set next month. They come with handles and ankle wraps. (They anchor through a door.) I can’t replicate my beloved leg presses, but they give a run for my money on squats And other leg exercises. 😃💪🏻 And I have lots of room to go up regarding upper body. I’ve been enjoying myself Getting creative and trying new movements and increasing the weight. I track the exercises and weight on a google sheet. I use an app for the gym—I can never remember that stuff! 🤪

Quarantine has been tough, and I’ve made some good changes signed up for a meal delivery service and I’m getting more fruits and veggies. Still working on site some days—we had college students with no place to go so we kept them. And some who left and came back because home wasn’t good for them in one way or another. And all my maintenance and custodial staff stayed on site, they needed support, too.

We all do what we can with what we’ve got.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 19,026 Member Member Posts: 19,026 Member
    Glad this got bumped.

Very true the physical pounding can just be tiring - what's bad is when that leads to wanting to chuck the logging when you know that may be required for a very long time.

I've been doing 1 week break based on lbs lost, which ends up being every 5th week anyway, but I really should have planned out by time and had it set for planning.
    Why?
    Trying to do 3 weeks of groceries at a time to limit exposures - when I don't plan that extra food eaten reduces that time span pretty bad. Plus I forget to fill in some fun calories!
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 2,427 Member Member Posts: 2,427 Member
    Just giving this a bump, it might interest some more recent members.