Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

NOT "no garbage lasagna"

bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,837 Member
I had to share... I make this MAYBE once a year cause it is a heavy and big meal, but when you gotta have lasagna, you want the real thing. No giant tomato slices in place of noodles here. About 2.5lbs of cheese. Saucy, sausagey, garlicy, cheesey, noodley goodness....

538349_10151329194965021_228970811_n.jpg

(edited to add recipe - sort of, I eyeball measure a lot, and season differently each time)

1.5lb ground Italian sausage
3-4 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
1 white or yellow (not sweet) onion
1 green or red bell pepper
5-6 baby portabella mushrooms
1 box Cremettes lasagna noodles
15-16oz ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded or grated parm/romano/asiago cheese
16-20oz pasta sauce (I've used Prego Roasted Garlic when I'm lazy, or my own homemade sauce when I'm not)
2lb shredded mozzarella cheese
seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, whatever trips your fancy)

bring large pot (10-12 qts) of water to boil, salt and add pasta. cook about 2 minutes less than stated on package. drain, drizzle with olive oil to keep from sticking to themselves, and allow to cool.

brown meat with a little olive oil, fresh garlic and fennel seeds. chop all veggies you desire to use into small pieces (about 1/4 to 1/3 inch pieces) and add to meat to lightly saute, season as you feel tastes best, cover & remove from heat.

mix ricotta, eggs & parm/romano/asiago cheese.

in a 13x9 casserole dish, coat with butter/olive oil/PAM or something to help keep from sticking. put enough pasta sauce down to have a thin coating at bottom of pan. place noodle layer, overlapping slightly. then add about 1/3 to 1/2 of the meat/veggie mixture, followed by some sauce, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and a little of the shredded mozzarella. Repeat layering process starting with noodles, meat, sauce, ricotta, cheese, then noodles again. I usually only do 2 full layers, but there's enough noodles in the box for 3 layers if you prefer it that way. be sure to have sauce under the final layer of noodles so they don't become too crunchy while baking, and cover final layer of noodles with remaining cheese and season as you like (I put garlic, basil & oregano on top of the cheese) cover with foil, and you can either refrigerate for 2-4 days before baking, or bake immediately.

bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes (longer if refrigerated prior to baking) while covered with foil. remove foil and continue baking for 10 more minutes. let sit for 15-20 minutes before cutting/serving

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I WANT! yum.gif
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    that's just cruel
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    mmm. i have no photos to share, but in the wintertime i make a pancetta, radicchio, endive with bechemel sauce lasagne.
    it has so much fatty goodness that i really only make it once or 2x a year. :laugh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Yummy! I make real lasagne at least 1 or 2 times a month. Thanks for reminding me, need to get ingredients for next week :)
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    I'd eat that whole pan tonight post leg workout! :love:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 770 Member
    Lasagna I can do in moderation. Homemade baked mac 'n cheese, on the other hand... that would have been cruel to post.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    I'm hungry and now I really want lasagna
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    It looks a little cheese heavy.

(Did I just say that?)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Well....I know what I am making for dinner sometime soon. :smile:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Just finished lunch. am pleasantly full. and this made my mouth water.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member

(Did I just say that?)

no such thing
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member

(Did I just say that?)

Pfff not possible. :tongue:
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Mmmm. Lasagna is one of my fave foods that I rarely get to eat. I've made a vegetarian version once that was to die for. I'm no vegetarian by any means. I LOVE my meat and my steaks must be medium rare. But I do enjoy vegetarian dishes from time to time and try to incorporate at least one dish if not one day to entirely meat free. I think the last time I had lasagna was either late last year or early this year. It's been a long while...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    :love: :drinker:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member

(Did I just say that?)

no such thing

QFT!

however, my hubby did say I use too much ricotta.... but he's just going to have to get over it

i mix ricotta w/ cottage cheese in mine, it makes it so much more melty and gooey.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Reminds me of an episode of Secret Eaters where a couple used a whole family pack of cheddar for their lasagne :laugh: I'm too lazy to make lasagne, but I often have a veggie one at restaurants.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Mmmmm cheese
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    tumblr_mgp19bQscH1r8o2z5o1_500.gif
    tumblr_lxaff6DBPl1qjjtw3.gif
    gif111.gif
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    tumblr_mgp19bQscH1r8o2z5o1_500.gif
    tumblr_lxaff6DBPl1qjjtw3.gif
    gif111.gif

it's cruel because we want a recipe, yo!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    I'm coming to your house next time you make it.