I feel like a failure

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    @Nutritionislife - you lost 28 pounds by creating a deficit, whatever foods you picked to do that are irrelevant.

You eat 1500 calories with a 500 deficit = 1lbs loss
    I eat 1500 calories with a 500 calorie deficit = 1lbs loss

Don't confuse nutrition with the math.
    OP can eat what will keep her on track, the math stays the same.

I sure did. But what has been the quality of my food choice? Not snickers. Theres a difference, go read a nutrition book.

Snickers is nutritious.

Lol.

It has peanuts, eggs, milk, and chocolate. None of those foods lose their nutritional value from being combined together in bar form.

Well, to be fair, the Almond Snickers is the one I think is the perfect candy.

I know you weren't talking to me. :blush:

I also prefer almonds to peanuts. I recently had some almond butter cups that were amazing!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Nutritionislife - you have been on your journey 3 months now and by the looks of your pictures you are having good success, thats awesome, i am proud of you, but please use caution is specifically geared advice, the OP is already struggling with her food choices in a over eating perspective, people who are struggling will feel over whelmed when they feel that they have to abandon their entire lifestyle. People who love red meat for instance may feel like it isn't worth doing if they can't enjoy what they like to lose weight. That is why all fad diets and lose weight quick options most often fail.

You're right. Thats exactly what im trying to say. Focus on eating healthy, its not all about counting calories only. For weightloss yes, but id hate to see somebody skinny and unhealthy. Fill you body with good things. I just gave her advice on what ive been doing because she asked me, but of course its not for everyone.

and we are not saying you shouldn't be supportive in good nutrition, but don't put the idea in someones head that they can't eat this or that because its going to cause health problems. weight loss is stressful enough in itself, new people need to focus on getting started, let them get a routine, after that nutrition will often follow, but if you pile on the homework on the first day of school, chances are it's probably gonna make someone bail out.

Yep, and you can meet your nutritional needs while still having Snickers or red meat . . . it isn't an either/or.

(I know you weren't arguing that it was).
  • Nutritionislife
    Nutritionislife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Nutritionislife - you have been on your journey 3 months now and by the looks of your pictures you are having good success, thats awesome, i am proud of you, but please use caution is specifically geared advice, the OP is already struggling with her food choices in a over eating perspective, people who are struggling will feel over whelmed when they feel that they have to abandon their entire lifestyle. People who love red meat for instance may feel like it isn't worth doing if they can't enjoy what they like to lose weight. That is why all fad diets and lose weight quick options most often fail.

You're right. Thats exactly what im trying to say. Focus on eating healthy, its not all about counting calories only. For weightloss yes, but id hate to see somebody skinny and unhealthy. Fill your body with good things. I just gave her advice on what ive been doing because she asked me, but of course its not for everyone.

How would you define skinny and unhealthy?

I'm at a BMI of 21-22, I had a box of Hot Tamales and buttered/coconut oil popcorn the other night. I do that a couple times a month usually. My blood results have been in the normal range for many years, no medications other than thyroid - and I'm in my mid-sixties. My BP and cholesterol numbers are within range and I eat a lot of saturated fat. A. Lot. I go through a pound of butter by myself in about a month. Same with cheese and full fat yogurt, I eat a lot of it. I buy at least one half gallon of ice cream a month...and I live alone.

If you have no problems in your blood or other health issues, no medications and your body feels strong and you are happy. That is awesome for you that you are able to eat that way with awesome outcomes!
  • Nutritionislife
    Nutritionislife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bapity88 wrote: »
    I eat pizza, candy, Taco Bell, etc. when I have room for it in my daily calories, and I just had my blood drawn for insurance purposes (I get $1000 off annually if I get a blood panel done) and the lady said I had the best numbers she had seen all day. I'm not thin. I'm 139 lbs at 5'2". Still overweight. But you can be "healthy" and still eat these foods. If that's what will keep you on track, go for it! If you're the type of person who can't indulge because that makes it harder for you, then don't. It's all personal. But the point is, you can indulge every now and then and still be "healthy".

True