Which tracker watch?

Options
Looking for anyones experiences with tracker watches. I have a garmin vivofit looking to upgrade as I now cycle, swim and use the gym. It was great for increasing steps, but I now want a more detailed record.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive 3. I have the HR version and am eyeballing it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with the Garmin Fenix 5X. It is actually the only one I even considered.
    Large display so I can read it without my glasses.
    It has other useful features like topographical maps for hiking and guiding you back to start point should you, for some reason, go off the trail.
    I can set the pool length to any one the standards or use a customer setting for odd sized pools. The one at the gym in China is only 22m.
    Among the preprogrammed activities are indoor cycling for use in spin classes or just making your own spin class.
    Weight training: It tracks your heart rate and extrapolates calories from that.
    Walking and hiking.
    Has GPS and Altimeter built in too.
    Synch to web and phone apps.
    Yes, the Fenix 5X is a bit pricey. But for me, it was worth it. I swim a lot. Enough to have noticed that it switches from yards to miles at 5300 yards :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I love my Fenix 5X as well. Works with my power meter on the bike, counts laps in the pool, has maps for skiing and hiking, looks good, it ticks every box.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    FWIW, the Garmin 935 has the same internals as the 5 (not sure about the 5x and mapping), but a slightly better form factor (IMO) and a lower price tag. It's the first garmin product i've had that I can say is worth the money. For me, IMO.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The 5X has significantly different internals vs the other F5 devices. It needs them, to support mapping. Things like a faster processor, more and faster memory.

I don't know if this makes any difference in non mapping use. I bought mine partly on the speculation that it might be faster in general. Saving a several hour long ride (1 second recording) took an eternity on the F3 but was instant on a very old Edge unit. I was really tired of waiting. My F5X is very quick to save, I haven't used an F5 so I can't compare.

I love having maps (without cell coverage) but don't use them terribly often. And the map page drains the battery much faster than other pages.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Jeebers, I just had a look at the fenix 5x.... It costs $800 up to $1000 for the "sapphire" here in Australia, it's probably half that price in the US??
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    You can buy it with mineral glass now?

I've scraped mine against granite boulders while cooking (rocks block the wind) with no ill effect. I'm a big fan of sapphire. :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the Vivoactive 3. I have the first gen so this is my upgrade. The Fenix is an awesome piece of kit but not affordable or necessary to me.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd just like to say is that I tried the Samsung Gear Fit2, and returned it after a week. I had been losing (for a few months) 1.5 pounds per week eating what it said was my TDEE. Utter waste. I wish Jawbone hadn't done away with the BodyMedia line when they bought it out. It was the only one ever accurate enough to be designated a medical device by the FDA.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm getting the Vivoactive 3. I have the first gen so this is my upgrade. The Fenix is an awesome piece of kit but not affordable or necessary to me.

It still hasn't arrived? You're so much more patient than me! :)
    For the OP - the Vivoactive 3 is definitely worth a look. Great looking watch with lots of features.

jjpptt2 wrote: »
    FWIW, the Garmin 935 has the same internals as the 5 (not sure about the 5x and mapping), but a slightly better form factor (IMO) and a lower price tag. It's the first garmin product i've had that I can say is worth the money. For me, IMO.

935 has the exact same internals as the Fenix 5 and 5S - the 5X has more juice for the mapping stuff. I have the 935 also and love it. First thing I did was slapped a 9H tempered glass screen protector on it before it even went on my wrist for the first time. Second thing I did was download the "No Frills" watch face from the Connect IQ store.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    One thing I'd just like to say is that I tried the Samsung Gear Fit2, and returned it after a week. I had been losing (for a few months) 1.5 pounds per week eating what it said was my TDEE. Utter waste. I wish Jawbone hadn't done away with the BodyMedia line when they bought it out. It was the only one ever accurate enough to be designated a medical device by the FDA.

How many sought approval?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I see the 935 will work with the HRM-Swim so will it track open water swims?

I've got the VAHR and, to me, it's missing the VO2Max estimate (which the VA3 does) and ability to track outdoor swimming. Just don't know if the swim tracking is worth an added $300.

Does the 935 do golf? And, if it does, can it show distance in yards when the watch is set to metric? This annoyed me when I went golfing.
  • CRisor46
    CRisor46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do any of the Garmin or Suunto watches/trackers integrate with Fitness Pal though?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    CRisor46 wrote: »
    Do any of the Garmin or Suunto watches/trackers integrate with Fitness Pal though?

Garmins do. I've rarely had issues with the integration.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    Jeebers, I just had a look at the fenix 5x.... It costs $800 up to $1000 for the "sapphire" here in Australia, it's probably half that price in the US??

I have the older Fenix3 Sapphire. Beautiful watch, and really like it. You can buy refurbished ones from Garmin for low prices now.

Add to it that RoadID now has ID badges for Garmin devices (I pestered them for a couple of years to make them), it's even better. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It still hasn't arrived? You're so much more patient than me! :)
    For the OP - the Vivoactive 3 is definitely worth a look. Great looking watch with lots of features.

jjpptt2 wrote: »

935 has the exact same internals as the Fenix 5 and 5S - the 5X has more juice for the mapping stuff. I have the 935 also and love it. First thing I did was slapped a 9H tempered glass screen protector on it before it even went on my wrist for the first time. Second thing I did was download the "No Frills" watch face from the Connect IQ store.

No. Date got pushed back for Amazon some weird reason. I had it locked in at a lower price than RRP so was reluctant to ditch them but got fed up and have it arriving from someone else tomorrow! Back to being excited!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yep, open water swims are one of the supported workouts. In DCRainmaker's review, he discusses the issues with GPS accuracy from the watch going in and out of the water on every stroke (but that's inherent to any GPS watch when swimming), so accuracy isn't 100% perfect but close enough. If you check his review, he has a whole section on open water swims with videos and data graphs.

Does the 935 do golf? And, if it does, can it show distance in yards when the watch is set to metric? This annoyed me when I went golfing.
    Yes, it does golf, and works pretty well (I've used it several times). Gives distance to front/middle/back of green (and you can adjust the location of the pin on the green), can show distance to layups/doglegs, track shots, keep score, etc. Don't know about displaying yards when the watch is set to meters, though - never tried that.

CRisor46 wrote: »
    I don't know about Suunto, but Garmin devices work fine with MFP.
  • BootyfulBikerZX10r
    BootyfulBikerZX10r Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Im looking to buy my spouse a new fitness watch thinking of Garmin this thread helps a lot -thanks ya'll
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Huh. Just looked at a comparison of the VAHR, VA3 and 935.

I might be saving for the 935. It does look like it has some features I may want as I plan on doing a triathalon next year.

Table here if anyone is interested. I just picked the 3 to see a feature comparison.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=72457,80396,56799#results
  • NorthCascades
    Options

I've got the VAHR and, to me, it's missing the VO2Max estimate (which the VA3 does) and ability to track outdoor swimming. Just don't know if the swim tracking is worth an added $300.

Keep in mind the HRM-Swim is another $100 or so. But you can use REI's 20 % coupon on it.

HRM-Tri can be used for outdoor swims, but won't stand up to repeated use in the pool. HRM-Swim will.

I haven't swam outdoors in a while, all the places I'd like to swim are getting snow now. But here's what an indoor swim records:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2102197878