Hit a wall

2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2017
    taunishay wrote: »
    What do you mean by "hit a wall"? How long since you lost weight?

This^^ Is it being mentally tired of dieting? Take a diet break, eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks, then get back to losing.

I'm not really dieting persay... I clean eat, cut sugar, and practice portion control. I raised my protein, cut empty carbs... I thought that would just be easier when I get to maintenance.

If you want to lose weight, I recommend dieting. It's literally what the word means.

The hardest part about dieting for me is I have endometriosis, and living without a thyroid. So where one diet may be good for endo, it isn't necessarily good for the other... hormones.... whole and organic, fruits and vegis, and light meat... I am not eating all day long and I do portion them out... I honestly thought I wasn't eating enough calories. Mfp won't let me close entries because I am always below... I am exhausted lately and just trying to find my discipline/motivation/inspiration again...

I think you are missing the point. Eat whatever foods work best for you, but you still need to have a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose fat. Not eating enough does not make you stop losing or gain.
  • taunishay
    taunishay Posts: 34 Member
    What do you mean by "hit a wall"? How long since you lost weight?

This^^ Is it being mentally tired of dieting? Take a diet break, eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks, then get back to losing.

I'm not really dieting persay... I clean eat, cut sugar, and practice portion control. I raised my protein, cut empty carbs... I thought that would just be easier when I get to maintenance.

If you want to lose weight, I recommend dieting. It's literally what the word means.

The hardest part about dieting for me is I have endometriosis, and living without a thyroid. So where one diet may be good for endo, it isn't necessarily good for the other... hormones.... whole and organic, fruits and vegis, and light meat... I am not eating all day long and I do portion them out... I honestly thought I wasn't eating enough calories. Mfp won't let me close entries because I am always below... I am exhausted lately and just trying to find my discipline/motivation/inspiration again...

I think you are missing the point. Eat whatever foods work best for you, but you still need to have a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose fat. Not eating enough does not make you stop losing or gain.

I do understand that... that's why I said MFP hasn't been letting me close out my diary at the end of the days because my calorie intake has been too low... but at the end of the day I can't force myself to eat 600+ calories...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Not to be snarky - but you're supposed to start at the top of the flowchart, not the bottom. Eating clean, cutting out red meat, sugar, carbs, walking, none of that matters unless it provides you with a calorie deficit. At a higher weight, it provided a calorie deficit. At you current weight, it doesn't. Now it's time to dig out the kitchen scale and count calories.

Okay, I didn't say I was starting at the bottom... I have a kitchen scale, and I am going to buckle down... but did you miss the part where I am already on medication. Since 2011 i have not had a thyroid... so if my medicine isn't high enough or low enough that could also be the reason I am so tired... we haven't changed or checked my thyroid levels since March, I have lost 40 lbs since then... so it could stand to reason my thyroid dosage is skewed.
    Not really, I just chose to not focus on it, and only comment on the weightloss part. But feeling exhausted/tired is not good. You have to get that checked out. Maybe you need to talk more about what you've been going through, too, cancer is scary, and lacking an essential organ makes everything out of whack. That's stressful enough. Stress can add to exhaustion. Trying to do a lot of (difficult and unnecessary) things, is also stressful. Thinking about scary things, is painful. But if you let yourself be preoccupied with minor details ("majoring in the minors"), you'll have a lot less mental energy on things that have a large impact. Getting your calorie intake in check will have a major impact on your weight.
  • taunishay
    Not to be snarky - but you're supposed to start at the top of the flowchart, not the bottom. Eating clean, cutting out red meat, sugar, carbs, walking, none of that matters unless it provides you with a calorie deficit. At a higher weight, it provided a calorie deficit. At you current weight, it doesn't. Now it's time to dig out the kitchen scale and count calories.

Okay, I didn't say I was starting at the bottom... I have a kitchen scale, and I am going to buckle down... but did you miss the part where I am already on medication. Since 2011 i have not had a thyroid... so if my medicine isn't high enough or low enough that could also be the reason I am so tired... we haven't changed or checked my thyroid levels since March, I have lost 40 lbs since then... so it could stand to reason my thyroid dosage is skewed.
    Not really, I just chose to not focus on it, and only comment on the weightloss part. But feeling exhausted/tired is not good. You have to get that checked out. Maybe you need to talk more about what you've been going through, too, cancer is scary, and lacking an essential organ makes everything out of whack. That's stressful enough. Stress can add to exhaustion. Trying to do a lot of (difficult and unnecessary) things, is also stressful. Thinking about scary things, is painful. But if you let yourself be preoccupied with minor details ("majoring in the minors"), you'll have a lot less mental energy on things that have a large impact. Getting your calorie intake in check will have a major impact on your weight.

It's the aftermath of the cancer that I'm having problems coping with... but when I started this in June, I knew I had reached the emotional maturity to stick with it and do it right... I think you are right though, these past couple weeks have been stress hell... and I'm not dealing well, usually i go to the park and walk out the stress... I haven't been feeling it though... that's usually where I put my discipline into action... gonna go look myself in the mirror and yell at myself to get it back together.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Maybe change up the exercise routine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

It's the aftermath of the cancer that I'm having problems coping with... but when I started this in June, I knew I had reached the emotional maturity to stick with it and do it right... I think you are right though, these past couple weeks have been stress hell... and I'm not dealing well, usually i go to the park and walk out the stress... I haven't been feeling it though... that's usually where I put my discipline into action... gonna go look myself in the mirror and yell at myself to get it back together.
    I don't think you should yell at yourself. I think you should be kind to yourself. But being kind also means taking care about your health, and that includes eating enough, but not too much. You can't just rely on willpower, this isn't about emotional maturity, you need enough, truthful facts, and good habits to ride on. There isn't one way to do dieting "right" - all you have to do is eat enough, but not too much, and you can do that in an indefinite number of ways, I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives that are easier to stick to for the long haul. Do not be fooled by the "honeymoon phase" of dieting - we can do lots of hard and unpleasant things for a short while, as long as we see results. But the first pounds are the easiest, no matter what approach you choose. You need a strategy you can see yourself sticking to, happily, forever.
  • taunishay
    Update: I needed to have a diet break... I must have not been eating enough calories. After being turned down for another job (makes like 5 now) i binged, 3 pieces of pizza, and quarter pint of ice cream. Next day 2 peices of pizza, half a pint of ice cream.
    Weighed to see the damage and I am down 2 lbs.
    Thanks all. I am going to look into some more diet plans and see if there is another that might work best for me after this stressful week.