How sore should a sore throat be?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
This is going to sound really silly but I barely ever get ill and currently I have a very painful throat. People get sore throats all the time but I don't know if mine feels so bad because it's something I've never really had or if it's actually bad. It doesn't feel swollen, I shone a light down my throat to inspect and nothing looks out of the ordinary but I can't talk or eat or swallow. Even when I periodically go to swallow my own saliva which is something you don't really notice usually, it's so painful. I've tried painkillers and various soothers but nothing really helps.

How sore are sore throats usually? Do they normally make eating and drinking painful?

Replies

• LeGaCyGiAnT91
    LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just don't ask Google... ya got cancer, kid.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    This is going to sound really silly but I barely ever get ill and currently I have a very painful throat. People get sore throats all the time but I don't know if mine feels so bad because it's something I've never really had or if it's actually bad. It doesn't feel swollen, I shone a light down my throat to inspect and nothing looks out of the ordinary but I can't talk or eat or swallow. Even when I periodically go to swallow my own saliva which is something you don't really notice usually, it's so painful. I've tried painkillers and various soothers but nothing really helps.

How sore are sore throats usually? Do they normally make eating and drinking painful?

Just run up to the Minute Clinc and get it checked. Probably nothing. Do you have a low fever???
  • Deathblade5
    Deathblade5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eating and drinking is usually painful with a sore throat.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    A sore throat is pain, scratchiness or irritation of the throat that often worsens when you swallow. The most common cause of a sore throat (pharyngitis) is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu. A sore throat caused by a virus resolves on its own.

Symptoms
    • Pain or a scratchy sensation in the throat
    • Pain that worsens with swallowing or talking
    • Difficulty swallowing
    • Sore, swollen glands in your neck or jaw
    • Swollen, red tonsils
    • White patches or pus on your tonsils
    • Hoarse or muffled voice
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Just don't ask Google... ya got cancer, kid.

You're not kidding
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If it's very painful, it might be a good idea to get checked for strep.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I've had sore throats so bad it felt like I swallowed razor blades on the other hand I've had sore throats as simple as I've swallowed a golf ball. Neither feel too good
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty normal. If you have any honey, it's been found to be as soothing as most fancy throat drops.

If it were me I would avoid painkillers until you know whether or not you have a fever, since painkillers mask fever as a side effect. If your fever gets too high or your throat is not improving in a couple of days, see a doctor. Wash your hands and try not to give it to other people please!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    strept throat?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fever? If you do, it could quite possibly be strep for which you should go to the doctor and get antibiotics.
  • unfilterednate
    unfilterednate Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Sounds similar to strep throat and it's likely you need antibiotics
  • trvshm
    trvshm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Viral stuff can last 3-5 days. If you have a fever with it I’d get swabbed. Drink a ton of water and if it lasts more than 5 days I’d go in!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    A normal sore throat should be max 86 units of soreness. 87-95 units of soreness and you're in trouble. 96+ units of soreness well...you don't want that, that's for sure.

That's for sure.

Sore Throat and Other Throat Problems - Topic Overview
    https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/tc/sore-throat-topic-overview

I can vouch for this guys research.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options

i'd gather you have a severe sore throat. i would go to the doctors. i like the halls type cough drops (honey/lemon with eucalyptus) they do seem to help a little. i used to get sore throats a lot and no problem eating or drinking, just a sore throat.. if you can't talk then it's probably very severe. hot tea with honey usually helps too.