What's for dinner?

Options
mnalsa83
mnalsa83 Posts: 173 Member
I love looking for & trying new recipes!
I'm not one for same old mundane meals, especially when dieting. Who wants that?!

Show me what you got!

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Chicken and noodles.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216758/moms-fabulous-chicken-pot-pie-with-biscuit-crust/
    Basically, I make that recipe but use regular milk instead of cream, add noodles and leave off the biscuit crust (no egg wash as well). I add 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder.
    The recipe is great with the biscuit crust but also good with noodles.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Either pepperoni pizza with homemade crust (celebrating my husband's new job), or my original plan of homemade chicken fried rice- https://therecipecritic.com/2013/08/easy-fried-rice/
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i had some cheese ravioli with a little red sauce and plan on making some spicy mustard greens soon
  • mnalsa83
    Options
    @alicebhsia I have never had mustard greens but want to try. Could you send me a goid recipe?
  • alicebhsia
    Options
    @mnalsa83 do you like spicy foods?
  • mnalsa83
    Options
    @alicebhsia i love spicy.
  • Cynthia1066
    Cynthia1066 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    mnalsa83 wrote: »
    @alicebhsia I have never had mustard greens but want to try. Could you send me a goid recipe?

Be sure to cut off stems and blanch to reduce bitterness.
  • alicebhsia
    edited October 2017
    Options
    oh cool. for anyone who doesn't like spicy, i guess you could use fresh minced garlic in place of the hot peppers.
    this is my mom's recipe.

Mustard Greens

1 large bunch mustard greens
    5 or 6 hot peppers (i use thai volcano peppers)
    1 tbs sugar
    1/2-1 tsp white pepper
    4 tsp salt
    1-2 tbs cooking oil

1.first you'll want to chop up the mustard greens fairly small, discarding ends, then wash well in a big bowl + drain water well
    2. sprinkle them liberally with salt (approx 4 tsp)right from the container ( a small shaker will take forever) i lightly shake the salt from the container over the surface of the greens in the bowl about 3-4 times mixing it up a bit each time (it seems like a lot of salt, but most of it will drain with all the water that comes out) cover with a plastic shopping bag or plastic wrap and let sit in fridge overnight
    3. next day whenever you are ready for it, squeeze clumps of mustard greens well removing salty water and set aside
    4. deseed and chop hot peppers (the finer you chop them the spicier it will be)
    5. lightly sautee peppers in about a tbs or two of oil (i use olive oil) for a minute or two, then add the mustard greens, immediately add the tbs of sugar and white pepper, stir around and sautee for another couple/ few minutes til they are tender (they don't take long to cook)
    - and that's it. super easy recipe that has always come out great for me. i think the hard part is finding the mustard greens and fresh thai volcano peppers. if i didn't have the thai volcano peppers i would probably substitute with 1
    or 2 small jalapenos but i think the thai volcano peppers gives it a special flavor. anyway, if you try it good luck!

i will try to post a pic after i've cooked mine today :)
  • mnalsa83
    Options
    I'll have to pick some up this weekend. I'll let you know
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I’m making a slight variation of this. https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/09/oven-roasted-autumn-medley/ I’ve never made it before but it smells delicious!
  • alicebhsia
    edited October 2017
    Options
    v1biox7kgsvj.jpg

stems and all. my mom usually chops them up smaller but this is what i ended up with
    oh yeah, sautee on high heat if it's a heavy pan (med-hi if it's a light pan)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I found discounted Salmon Mignons at the store so I grilled those, had 1 1/3 cup sugar snap peas steamed, and 1 cup of bob evans garlic mashed potatoes! In total, around 650 cals.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    going to have grilled chuck eye steaks a baked sweet potato and steamed green beans. Made some chicken fried rice for lunch it was yummy!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I just finished breakfast so it's too early to think about dinner but I know that it will be nice and healthy.
  • mnalsa83
    Options
    Mmm... lunch? Haven't even thought about that yet.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't know yet. I took out some chicken boobs, but I don't know what I'll do with them. I'm feeling uninspired.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    What's for dinner? Man, I wish I knew!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @impyimpyaj I have the same meal planned for tomorrow - I don't have sweet potatoes so I'm going to swap in some regular idaho potatoes and butternut squash!