Is coke Zero healthy???

Options
13»

Replies

• Friesia
    Friesia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find it really triggers me to want to eat, so I only allow myself to have it as a treat if I go out to dinner now. And sometimes not even then. I definitely can't handle having it in the house.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Coke zero for life. Drink several cans daily. Lost over 200lbs. Ran a 6.6k race today. In great health.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    Here is how I see it. They are still debating if artificial sweeteners cause disease or weight gain. I originally decided years ago that diet soda was healthier than drinking reg soda. But over the years, even though I did loose weight while drinking the diet soda and dieting, I decided the unknown risks (if any) were not worth it for me. I decided to just drink water. No one knows for sure if diet soda causes disease, but they can't prove that it does yet. So my advice is, weigh the risks. If you are sick because of your weight and can't diet w/o the stuff, then perhaps the risks that it might be harmful out weight the risks of staying heavy. But, if you can live without it and drink water and still get healthy, perhaps you may decided it isn't worth the risk. Whatever you decide, decide for yourself. It's your body and your life and if I tell you it's safe and get it wrong...you're the one who suffers. Most people think it's safe, but I still chose to live w/o it. I figure it isn't in my natural food and it isn't healthy so I don't need it.

Who are these people that you think are still debating whether artificial sweeteners cause disease or weight gain?

Someone still is. Just the other day on the news there was a story about artificial sweeteners possibly causing weight gain. They simply said scientists. So whether or not you want to believe that there is still a debate going on...there obviously still is by some people enough to make the news.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    Here is how I see it. They are still debating if artificial sweeteners cause disease or weight gain. I originally decided years ago that diet soda was healthier than drinking reg soda. But over the years, even though I did loose weight while drinking the diet soda and dieting, I decided the unknown risks (if any) were not worth it for me. I decided to just drink water. No one knows for sure if diet soda causes disease, but they can't prove that it does yet. So my advice is, weigh the risks. If you are sick because of your weight and can't diet w/o the stuff, then perhaps the risks that it might be harmful out weight the risks of staying heavy. But, if you can live without it and drink water and still get healthy, perhaps you may decided it isn't worth the risk. Whatever you decide, decide for yourself. It's your body and your life and if I tell you it's safe and get it wrong...you're the one who suffers. Most people think it's safe, but I still chose to live w/o it. I figure it isn't in my natural food and it isn't healthy so I don't need it.

Who are these people that you think are still debating whether artificial sweeteners cause disease or weight gain?

Someone still is. Just the other day on the news there was a story about artificial sweeteners possibly causing weight gain. They simply said scientists. So whether or not you want to believe that there is still a debate going on...there obviously still is by some people enough to make the news.

Yep, barely a week goes by here where artificial sweeteners aren't mentioned in a negative light on the news or in articles in the newspaper.

Many people think where there's smoke, there's fire.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Studies continue to be done because people continue to fearmonger. The study arrives at a vague and barely correlative conclusion at best and then the media reports it in an inflammatory and dishonest fashion to keep the fear mongering going.

Because reporting that study number 2,471 either shows nothing or still can only show vague correlation and no causation doesn't draw eyeballs the same. :neutral:
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Studies continue to be done because people continue to fearmonger. The study arrives at a vague and barely correlative conclusion at best and then the media reports it in an inflammatory and dishonest fashion to keep the fear mongering going.

Because reporting that study number 2,471 either shows nothing or still can only show vague correlation and no causation doesn't draw eyeballs the same. :neutral:

Studies continue because researchers are trying to replicate (or fail to replicate) the results of the original study, or have come up with alternative hypotheses (or variations on the original hypotheses). Or identify errors in the methodology used in the original research.

What you don't have is a single study "proving" something. Science is a dialogue (or ongoing battle) over time with a set of questions. The media will pick up on one point in that dialogue and report it as fact (usually a sensational fact). People assume that this means it's been "proven" -- and when a study comes along later that doesn't agree with the original they say, well, science can't be trusted.

I don't know whether artificial sweeteners really can contribute weight gain or not, but I'm not particularly worried about it because I've lost plenty of weight while using them. I personally prefer stevia and monk fruit for sweetening but I don't avoid the artificial kind because someone claims it will cause me to grow a tail.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Studies continue because researchers are trying to replicate (or fail to replicate) the results of the original study, or have come up with alternative hypotheses (or variations on the original hypotheses). Or identify errors in the methodology used in the original research.

What you don't have is a single study "proving" something. Science is a dialogue (or ongoing battle) over time with a set of questions. The media will pick up on one point in that dialogue and report it as fact (usually a sensational fact). People assume that this means it's been "proven" -- and when a study comes along later that doesn't agree with the original they say, well, science can't be trusted.

I don't know whether artificial sweeteners really can contribute weight gain or not, but I'm not particularly worried about it because I've lost plenty of weight while using them. I personally prefer stevia and monk fruit for sweetening but I don't avoid the artificial kind because someone claims it will cause me to grow a tail.

But why are they continuing to spend money on theses studies specifically on food additives that have been on the market for decades with no ill effects? When there are so many things out there to study? Because people keep fear mongering on the internet and keeping this front of mind. If people looked at the preponderance of evidence and stopped worrying about it and talking about it, I think that money would be spent in another way. Unfortunately, sometimes the decision of where to spend research $ is based on what people are talking about or what will draw the most interest. At least that's my two cents :smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    This thread is oh so typical of what I have seen of late, and it depresses me. There are some people who, for whatever reason, seem to take a Taliban style approach to weight loss. Carbs, sugar, diet-friggin-coke, or whatever the hell else becomes evil incarnate the second some neanderthal with a blog decides it write about it.

And these same people wonder why they continue to fail at losing weight? I sure as hell don't. They are far too busy being paranoid and chasing a boogeyman to actually log their food and get a workout in.

It makes me think of climate change "research". Imagine the good we could be doing the planet if people (particularly those with power and purse strings) could just accept the science is consistent and actually let money be spent on addressing it, rather than trying to prove it over and over again.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Spiderpug wrote: »
    My doc advised to stop all cola drinks due to the caffeine effect and I sleep better since I stopped drinking it. I drank it daily before and it didn't hinder my weight loss (I never touched full coke).
    So, calorie-wise, I guess better but it's about what's 'healthier' so now I would have a small fruit juice & water and accept the calories.
    Pics like above are always in my mind causing me to think before just grabbing anything.
    In Moderation is properly the answer

Pics like this are in my mind when thinking about whether or not to drink a diet soda:

yn4qh4yj5rbi.jpg

Not holding my breath for the abs on the person who's too lazy to pick the can off the floor and put it in the trashcan or get off their fat kitten to get their own diet soda.