Liquid Diet Advice?

Options

Replies

• sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    www.rebootwithjoe.com check it out. I did the 15 detox back in Feb then just changed my eating all together. I no longer eat out or eat any processed foods. It's all about a life style change though.
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    Advice..............don't do it. Diet alone starts stalling without exercise because of lower metabolic rate. Even light to moderate exercise (like walking) makes a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My metabolism is pretty much shot. That's why I'm wanting to get back to exercising, just no energy at all to do it. Thanks.
  • leed12345
    leed12345 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I sympathize. I also have health issues. Pain and intense fatigue were preventing me from leading my everyday life, never mind exercising. However, I tried a cleanse to jump start a diet to try and regain energy to help me become healthier. The extreme calorie deficit SAPPED the little energy reserves I had and I wound up laying on the couch all day. With the right combination of medication to allow me to walk again, and MFP to track a REASONABLE calorie deficit and following a mostly Paleo diet, I am more successful than I have been in years. Please re-think a liquid diet. It could sabotage what little energy you have left. Clean eating, medication for the fatigue and pain issues, and exercise as possible. Good luck in your journey. :smile:
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    I sympathize. I also have health issues. Pain and intense fatigue were preventing me from leading my everyday life, never mind exercising. However, I tried a cleanse to jump start a diet to try and regain energy to help me become healthier. The extreme calorie deficit SAPPED the little energy reserves I had and I wound up laying on the couch all day. With the right combination of medication to allow me to walk again, and MFP to track a REASONABLE calorie deficit and following a mostly Paleo diet, I am more successful than I have been in years. Please re-think a liquid diet. It could sabotage what little energy you have left. Clean eating, medication for the fatigue and pain issues, and exercise as possible. Good luck in your journey. :smile:

Amen! I barely make it to my job everyday(and I don't even do that some days). There are people on disability and in the nursing home that feel better than I do. I'm laying on the couch all day already, what time I'm not at work.......and I'm sleeping a lot of that time. I've been like this for so long, I'm willing to try anything to gain some energy just to live and function like a "normal" human being. I have no idea what a Paleo diet is, I'll look into that. Thank you for responding, and good luck to you too!
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    www.rebootwithjoe.com check it out. I did the 15 detox back in Feb then just changed my eating all together. I no longer eat out or eat any processed foods. It's all about a life style change though.

Thanks!!!! Checking it out now!! :)
  • sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The first 3 days SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but after that you have so much energy its crazy. You really get to know your body. What got me to change was actually i seen Joe's documentry on netflix and I seen the big truck driver dude do it. I was like hey if he can do it I can. It actually motivated me. Then I played a game with myself to see how long i can go for. I also did this while quitting smoking and man the first 3 days You didn't want to me near me I was a beast lol
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would suggest against the liquid diet. You can get great results without tricking your body into doing it. Because it WILL get revenge. If you are supper low on energy, don't start with cardio. Start with weight training, just some hand weights. This will increase your metabolism, make you stronger physically, and can mitigate some of the difficulties you are having.
  • rookmama83
    Options
    I've read a lot about juice fasting, and to be honest, I want to try it myself, but not to drop a ton of weight. I'm more interested in the cleansing aspect, and also, to jump start a bit of weight loss. But 60 lbs is a lot to lose, and you don't want to do it in an unhealthy or risky way. Have you ever seen the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? You might want to watch that, it's about juicing. I say whatever you decide to do, talk to your doctor. The guys in the documentary consulted with physicians before starting their juice fasts, and they followed up with their doctors religiously. A juice fast is not starvation. Your body is getting nutrients. It's not really "juice," it's highly digestible liquid food. I don't know that I'd look at it strictly as a fast weight loss option. It's more like the beginning of a lifestyle change that involves eating healthy foods and exercising.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, so forgive me. A liquid diet sounds horrible and also contains calories. Surely you can get these same nutrients from real, satiable food. Not sustainable in my opinion; don't bother.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to gain with a liquid diet other than either extreme calorie cutting or not having to chew? You can cut calories without going liquid. I realize you have a health issue but that isn't a reason not to get some exercise. The biggest obstacle to getting it done is just getting yourself up off the couch. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. Break through the barrier of "I can't" and as Nike says "Just do it!"

If you want to do a low calorie diet then log your foods, eats lots of veggies for satiety and maintain your nutrition. You can't live on boughten fruit juices and energy drinks. If you're really worried about your health you'll chose a healthy option and get your mind in a place where you can be successful.
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    The first 3 days SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but after that you have so much energy its crazy. You really get to know your body. What got me to change was actually i seen Joe's documentry on netflix and I seen the big truck driver dude do it. I was like hey if he can do it I can. It actually motivated me. Then I played a game with myself to see how long i can go for. I also did this while quitting smoking and man the first 3 days You didn't want to me near me I was a beast lol

I bet!! ha! I can sympathize with that! Trying to kick that habit as well. I've seen that documentary, and it blows my mind! If I could afford all that food, I'd definately do some major juicing! It would have to be healthier that anything we could ever eat! Did you do the 15 day reboot? With the 5 day shopping list and all that? How much did it cost ya?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I don't think a liquid diet will help you gain permanent results. just eat less food, and get more exercise.
  • Megh757
    Megh757 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

juice fasting isnt for everyone but deff changed alot of peoples lives. there is a documentary for this on netflix its not cheap to juice fast though

i forget the name of the documentary im sure the website tells you

you may not want to go totally liquid but its all mind over matter....if you do go this way make sure you are getting a protein shake that is going to give you all the calories you need and all the vitamins you need..... most people wont recommend this however many people who are obese have to be put on these diets to jumpstart weightloss and train their brain but its not a long term thing. best advice i can offer you is do what is best for you. if you think this will work you will get a lot of people hating on you however whats worse being very very overweight or going on a short term liquid diet to help jumpstart your weightloss...... rember though its a lifestyle change not a diet so if you do this you will need to start a lifestyle change to keep the weight off or you will fall back into your old ways. congrats on the 93 lb loss. maybe you could get one of those floor peddlers for exercise. they require minimal exertion however will still get you a good burn in. after you get to a lower weight you can add more exercise in
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    I've read a lot about juice fasting, and to be honest, I want to try it myself, but not to drop a ton of weight. I'm more interested in the cleansing aspect, and also, to jump start a bit of weight loss. But 60 lbs is a lot to lose, and you don't want to do it in an unhealthy or risky way. Have you ever seen the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? You might want to watch that, it's about juicing. I say whatever you decide to do, talk to your doctor. The guys in the documentary consulted with physicians before starting their juice fasts, and they followed up with their doctors religiously. A juice fast is not starvation. Your body is getting nutrients. It's not really "juice," it's highly digestible liquid food. I don't know that I'd look at it strictly as a fast weight loss option. It's more like the beginning of a lifestyle change that involves eating healthy foods and exercising.

Yes, yes, and yes!!! This is what I would love to be able to do......at a more affordable and convenient way. I seen this documentary about a year ago. It's unbelievable how much healthier these guys were in just 2 months!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Well eating food will give you energy to workout, so why not just eat food at a moderate deficit to keep you fueled and active. Liquid diet advice? always have toilet paper with you and be near a restroom, other than that don't do it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my advice..don't do it and just create a 500 calorie deficit, work out more, and lose a pound of week..

also, you say you lost 60 pounds doing something similar, and gained it all back, and now you want to do the same thing that failed in the past??? Yea, that makes sense. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ok......so I was wondering if anyone KNOWS, if there is a healthy/cheap way to do a liquid diet? I'm looking to drop about 60 lbs in the shortest amount of time possible(without exercise), and wondering if this is the way to go. In the last 2 years I have lost almost 100 lbs(would've been more, but I gained some back). Anyways, I'm noways near where I want to be, but a lot of progress has been made. I have issues with CFS, and haven't had enough energy for any type of exercise at all for several months now. I was hoping there would be a way to drop some weight, and hopefully gain some energy as a result of the weight loss. Idk if that would work or not, just hoping here. I've heard of people juice fasting and having great results with losing weight. But, I don't have a juicer, nor the funds to buy fruits and veggies it would take to keep that up. I was thinking more along the lines of vitamins, protein shakes, v-8, fruit juice, ensure? Not sure......wondering if this would be safe at all. I'm not looking for get skinny quick schemes(even though that does sound appealing). I'm well aware of the lifestyle changes and physical activity that would come along to maintain weightloss, if I did acheive it. Just wondering if liquid diets are safe, any cheap ways of doing it, and how long you can do it. (healthy)......if anyone knows. Thanks.

Con.fus.ed.
    You say you want to drop 60 pounds in the shortest time possible and also that you are not looking for a get skinny quick scheme. Which one is it? Either way, a calorie deficit is what you need (you know that already), any weight you lose will be water, the weight will come right back once you start eating food again and food tastes pretty dang good.....so...your choice.

Lol.....Idk if you noticed my questions or not, but to answer your questions........60 lbs is by no means going to make me skinny. :) Looking to lose some major pounds in hopes that it will increase my energy(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), so that maybe I can resume my workouts and get on with this. I've been stalled out for months. And I don't mean to sound argumentative at all, but if someone were to be successful in losing 60 lbs in a "healthy" way, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be 60 lbs of water. Thank you for your input, but you really didn't answer any of my questions at all.

ummm yess it pretty much will be and then you will gain it all back once you start eating real food again ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

what is joe rebooting?/

LOlL at 'rebootjoe" that is a hilarious name...

should just be "rebootyourmoneytojoe" LOL
  • Megh757
    Megh757 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

what is joe rebooting?/

LOlL at 'rebootjoe" that is a hilarious name...

should just be "rebootyourmoneytojoe" LOL

you dont pay him....just buy fruits and veggies from the store and juice...ive never done it but the documentary was good
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What is UP with the influx of posts tonight of "...in the shortest amount of time possible", and the some whack way of going about it?

I'm sure all of us here for weight loss want results in the shortest time possible, but some of us try to play by the rules! Kinda makes me mad seeing all these people trying to cut corners and be lazy about weight loss while I work my butt off and hope to achieve weight loss "in the shortest amount of time"...yeesh :mad: :explode: :grumble: