Difficult to eat healthy with new husband

Options
124»

Replies

• hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    saf365 wrote: »
    I would honestly just make my healthy food at home and take it to wherever ur going to eat and eat my food there..

Many restaurants won't do that. My husband packs his lunch everyday some times his co works go out to eat and he joins them especially in the winter (He works for a tree company). More than one occasion he has been asked to leave.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    katsheare wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    You know, while waiting to pick up my daughter from dance class one day, one of the other dads told me that they never cook at home because it's actually cheaper to eat out. He explained that you can't just go by the cost of the raw ingredients, but have to figure in every expense - the cost of the electricity to run the stove, the water to clean the dishes, your time spent cooking and shopping, even amortizing the cost of the pots and pans and plates and such.

I'm not smart enough to calculate if that's true or not.

I think this argument would work if they don't use water for anything else... Or don't have the heating on when no one is home... Or have incredibly non-energy efficient appliances. Or other rather unlikely things (like, seriously, do they buy new pots and pans once a year? New dishes constantly? They'll need something for breakfast I should think, unless that's all eaten at room temp out of the palms of their hands...) that are also not taking into consideration the time and gas/petrol money to get to the restaurant, the fact that they're paying for electricity and water in the price of the bill (and paying way more for a glass of wine than they would at home).

I call 'woo' on this. It's a highly selective data set created so that he doesn't have to do the washing up after dinner.

I agree this is not accurate. My husband and I spend any where from $25 to $50 on a dinner (we don't do fast food very often mostly Mexican for us) So say we eat out 2 a day for a week at just $25 per meal. We are looking at spending $350. Now I do all the grocery shopping in our house. We spend any where from $400-$500 on a Month's grocery. Even when taking in to gas and water usage we will still spend less than if we eat out. I use spread sheets to track all of our expense and such so I believe my numbers are very accurate for my family. We do eat mostly chicken and pork at our house and we usually buy rice, beans, and other items like that in bulk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Just talk to him and work out a schedule where you eat out less often, when you do order something light.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    katsheare wrote: »
    You know, while waiting to pick up my daughter from dance class one day, one of the other dads told me that they never cook at home because it's actually cheaper to eat out. He explained that you can't just go by the cost of the raw ingredients, but have to figure in every expense - the cost of the electricity to run the stove, the water to clean the dishes, your time spent cooking and shopping, even amortizing the cost of the pots and pans and plates and such.

I'm not smart enough to calculate if that's true or not.

I think this argument would work if they don't use water for anything else... Or don't have the heating on when no one is home... Or have incredibly non-energy efficient appliances. Or other rather unlikely things (like, seriously, do they buy new pots and pans once a year? New dishes constantly? They'll need something for breakfast I should think, unless that's all eaten at room temp out of the palms of their hands...) that are also not taking into consideration the time and gas/petrol money to get to the restaurant, the fact that they're paying for electricity and water in the price of the bill (and paying way more for a glass of wine than they would at home).

I call 'woo' on this. It's a highly selective data set created so that he doesn't have to do the washing up after dinner.

I agree this is not accurate. My husband and I spend any where from $25 to $50 on a dinner (we don't do fast food very often mostly Mexican for us) So say we eat out 2 a day for a week at just $25 per meal. We are looking at spending $350. Now I do all the grocery shopping in our house. We spend any where from $400-$500 on a Month's grocery. Even when taking in to gas and water usage we will still spend less than if we eat out. I use spread sheets to track all of our expense and such so I believe my numbers are very accurate for my family. We do eat mostly chicken and pork at our house and we usually buy rice, beans, and other items like that in bulk.

Yeah, it didn't seem right to me. At the time I thought to myself "So, you're saying you don't even own plates?". I should have challenged it.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Have you tried communication?

How about telling your husband, no? I am trying to lose weight and stay healthy for you and this doesn't work with my plans? Then offer a compromise, say we can eat out 3 days a week, somewhere where I can find a healthy option and the other days we can go out for a nice coffee ( assuming he just loves to go out)

Point out the money saved and your health benefits, or whatever your reasons are.

Find out what his reasoning is for wanting to go out so often and find other options for filling those needs.

Instead of posting online for ideas, communicate your needs with your husband. Listen to what his needs are and his reasoning for wanting to go out so much, figure out some compromises where both people win.

That's the foundation to a strong marriage. This is the first of many struggles you will face, so this is an essential skill; might as well learn it now.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    has the OP ever come back to answer or comment...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'm not smart enough to calculate if that's true or not. Maybe if you only eat dollar menu fast food items (I couldn't make a burger for $1 at home), but he claimed they almost always went to sit-down restaurants.

im pretty sure hes just looking for an excuse to eat out.

and kind of seems like a jack *kitten*. lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    has the OP ever come back to answer or comment...

Nope... sigh.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

I'm not smart enough to calculate if that's true or not. Maybe if you only eat dollar menu fast food items (I couldn't make a burger for $1 at home), but he claimed they almost always went to sit-down restaurants.

That's total BS. Just searching for justification to go out and spend money.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wish I had his salary!
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Another angle is find some goals he and you want that require saving money and point out how all these eating out events cost 3 or more times it does to eat at home. If the goal is important enough that may reduce all of that.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If quality of cooking is an issue which probably isnt sounds like he just enjoys being serviced at restaurants. But i recommend

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DVD-Cooking-From-A-to-Zest-Jon-Manning-Acceptable-Cond-Kierstin-Buchner/401381436963?epid=101769756&hash=item5d7432ae23:g:w9oAAOxylpNTUA8S

Great dvd series that is nearly like going through culinary school via dvd.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't magically gain calories just because you're brought a bill after eating it.

Learn to use MFP.