Doctor visits

Options
Is it just me or do you ever go in for say a cold/flu and the doctor is like you know your over weight... LoL. I mean I could understand if I was complaining about joint pain.. but come on...

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do you ever go in for say a cold/flu and the doctor is like you know your over weight... LoL. I mean I could understand if I was complaining about joint pain.. but come on...

Yes, I understand but the doctor don't see you that often so I can understand he does this. But I get what you are saying.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Would you like him to tell you after you got cancer that cigarettes are bad? How is that any different from other health problems that are too late to fix once you have them?

If you put a frog in a pot with boiling water, the frog will jump out. If you bring the pot to boil slowly the frog will stay in and die. right now you are the frog in the water thats getting hotter. When are you going to jump out?

Lol...I think you have that backwards..;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's a huge health problem and something doctors are told to talk to their patients about.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my doctor knows all about my weight loss journey and is never critical. just .... supportive. She sees the continued losses and is happy for me. She doesnt address weight unless i bring it up or have a question. she knows i know what im doing lol

having a good relationship with your doc who is tuned into you and knows whats going on, is a plus.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've made my peace with 'obese' being on my list of problems/symptoms no matter what I am seen for.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So I've been seeing the same doctor for five years. We've discussed my weight in the past. I go in because I'm concerned about a funny mole. Are you saying they should bring up my weight, again? Just in case I've forgotten I'm fat?

Well yes, in my case.

I get used to being fat as "normal" and I need that reminder that I should do something about it. My knees are aging faster than the rest of me and my cholesterol has gone from great to OK. I need to work on my weight and fitness now, not in 10 years. If I smoked, I'd expect my doc to mention quitting smoking if I went in with a sprained wrist too - it's something that has ongoing effects on my health even if it's not the specific problem I went in with. In that case I'd expect an X-Ray for the wrist and a "Hey, your weight hasn't gone down from last year - will you be working on that and do you want me to schedule your yearly bloodwork while you're here?"

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    It's a doctor's job to discuss any health problems or major health risks you are having. If they notice a funny mole, discoloration in your foot, or even if you have difficulty hearing them from certain angles, they're supposed to help you with it. I would fault a doctor for not bringing up an obvious health risk.

So I've been seeing the same doctor for five years. We've discussed my weight in the past. I go in because I'm concerned about a funny mole. Are you saying they should bring up my weight, again? Just in case I've forgotten I'm fat?

I feel like there's some subtleties missing from this conversation as a whole, and I'm honestly a bit surprised to see it on a forum dedicated to weight loss. I don't think I'm miss-remembering that there's evidence out there that obese individuals often receive sub-standard care in part because primary care physicians don't listen to them when they say what's wrong and instead jump to their weight, and also because some obese people avoid doctors entirely because they feel (rightly or wrongly) that their concerns won't be taken seriously.

There's a difference between a doctor blaming everything on your weight, and a doctor treating your current issue and then bringing up weight again. For sure they should be paying due attention to whatever you came in for, but I don't think there is anything wrong with them bringing up weight in addition to your current complaint.

For some people who have avoided dealing with their weight problem for most of their life, you never know when now might be the time they are open to really doing something. I think a doctor has a responsibility to continue to broach any unhealthy lifestyle issue that could cause serious issues in the future, like obesity or smoking.

To be fair, I guess if you come in for regular annual checkups, mentioning it when you come in because you're sick could be unnecessary or annoying.

I remember another thread not long ago, maybe a debate (?), where posters were complaining that their doctor never brought up their weight and they wished they had made a big deal out of it sooner. Might be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't?
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I feel like there's some subtleties missing from this conversation as a whole, and I'm honestly a bit surprised to see it on a forum dedicated to weight loss. I don't think I'm miss-remembering that there's evidence out there that obese individuals often receive sub-standard care in part because primary care physicians don't listen to them when they say what's wrong and instead jump to their weight, and also because some obese people avoid doctors entirely because they feel (rightly or wrongly) that their concerns won't be taken seriously.

I've been lucky, I've never had a doctor so fixated on my weight he or she blamed everything on that. I know it happens, a lot and I know many overweight people avoid doctors because of it. When I was a smoker, I had a doctor (not my regular doctor, someone I saw at an urgent care) blame my sore throat on my smoking. Never mind that both of my kids had been diagnosed with strep throat and were being treated for it at the time. I had to insist on a swab, and she was really huffy and nasty about it. Guess who had strep throat? Your doctor should bring up your weight, it's obviously increases your risk for all sorts of health issues. That doesn't mean they should dismiss valid health concerns, and if they do, you should complain, (easier if they are part of a larger practice) and you should consider a different doctor. I made sure the urgent care knew about my experience with their doc.