Doctor visits

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had a dentist who made me do a cardio stress test before he would extract my wisdom teeth. I was about 50 lbs. overweight at the time, but that seemed ridiculous to me.

Not ridiculous if you were being anesthetized.

It was local anaesthesia only - for those with medical training, I was at A+Ox4 during the entire procedure.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do you ever go in for say a cold/flu and the doctor is like you know your over weight... LoL. I mean I could understand if I was complaining about joint pain.. but come on...

Maybe your doctor was thinking about the affect of obesity on the immune system:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15672646
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The only time I go to the doctor is if there is a bone sticking out of the skin. If you go in to the doctor for every sniffle and cough you will always be sick. The body is designed to heal itself so proper rest and diet is all you need for the majority of the problems out there.

I went for a health assessment for my work to get more $$ put into a health flex account. I haven't been to the doctor in over 10 years. First thing he asks is when was my last visit. I told him about 10 years and he about dropped his pen. I told him if I haven't been hurt or sick why would I go see a doctor? He told me they recommend seeing a doctor twice a year. I asked him do you take your car to the mechanic when its running good? He didn't like that comment at all. Now there are plenty of reasons that some people need to see a doctor and should see a doctor when they have serious health problems but overmedicating your body does more harm than good. When you have to take pills to counteract the side effects of the pills that are giving you side effects worse than the initial problem you went to the doctor for whats the point.

Going to a doctor for regular checkups does not mean you will be over medicated. If you have no existing medical problems IDK why you'd need to go twice a year but yearly checkups are the best way to identify problems before they become serious. I see my PCP and GYN once a year and take zero medications.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

The only time I go to the doctor is if there is a bone sticking out of the skin. If you go in to the doctor for every sniffle and cough you will always be sick. The body is designed to heal itself so proper rest and diet is all you need for the majority of the problems out there.

I went for a health assessment for my work to get more $$ put into a health flex account. I haven't been to the doctor in over 10 years. First thing he asks is when was my last visit. I told him about 10 years and he about dropped his pen. I told him if I haven't been hurt or sick why would I go see a doctor? He told me they recommend seeing a doctor twice a year. I asked him do you take your car to the mechanic when its running good? He didn't like that comment at all. Now there are plenty of reasons that some people need to see a doctor and should see a doctor when they have serious health problems but overmedicating your body does more harm than good. When you have to take pills to counteract the side effects of the pills that are giving you side effects worse than the initial problem you went to the doctor for whats the point.

Um, yes? It's called regular servicing...

You don't need a mechanic/doctor for regular servicing. You only go to the mechanic when something breaks or fails.

If I waited until something broke or failed on my car before getting it fixed, it would cost me a fortune... regular servicing keeps it ticking along. I actually don't go to the doctor unless I need to, I don't just go for check-ups, but the mechanic analogy is just bizarre.

Well I like to try to relate things that the average person can relate to. I have used the car analogy for many many years and you are the only one thinks its bizarre.

Nope I do too

Same here. When I take it in for oil change and tire rotation, they check some basics. Like an annual physical, not everything is checked. From what is checked, a problem can be further investigated, ignored, or fixed. A regular checkup, even for those who have no known health problems, is just a good precautionary measure.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

You don't need a mechanic/doctor for regular servicing. You only go to the mechanic when something breaks or fails. As long as you are staying active and eating healthy there is no reason to see a doctor.

I had a cousin who lived that way. She died of brain cancer a couple years ago because by the time she broke down and went to the doctor it was too late. She ate very healthy and was extremely fit.

Would they have picked that up at a yearly once over? Honestly curious, no idea what goes on in those appointments.

I think the other reason for no annuals here is that we can't train and keep enough GPs as it is making it a nightmare for a lot of people to get appointments. If we were all going in for a yearly check up too it would just completely break the health service.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You don't need a mechanic/doctor for regular servicing. You only go to the mechanic when something breaks or fails. As long as you are staying active and eating healthy there is no reason to see a doctor.

I had a cousin who lived that way. She died of brain cancer a couple years ago because by the time she broke down and went to the doctor it was too late. She ate very healthy and was extremely fit.

Would they have picked that up at a yearly once over? Honestly curious, no idea what goes on in those appointments.

I think the other reason for no annuals here is that we can't train and keep enough GPs as it is making it a nightmare for a lot of people to get appointments. If we were all going in for a yearly check up too it would just completely break the health service.

My doctors have always suggested to get a physical once every 5 years or so until you are 40. Then every couple of years in your 40s and 50s, and every year once you hit 60. As others have said, just to catch anything before it becomes serious, either through blood work or several minor complaints being mentioned during the conversation that seem like nothing to you but the doctor sees they all relate when considered together.

And as someone else mentioned, if you are female and want birth control, you have to go every year. For ummm... reasons, I guess :neutral:
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Yup i tried to book an appointment a couple weeks ago for my daughter who has numerous disabilities and health problems...... a week and a half wait for an urgent appointment. Thankfully her ortho managed to squeeze her in 2 days later instead
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

IDK if a yearly checkup would have caught the cancer or not. All I do know is that the doctors all said had she come in sooner her prognosis would have been much better (no guarantees, of course). But she waited until she had symptoms she felt were bad enough to see a doctor.

So you don't get yearly blood work or cancer screens? Or does that happen in some type of lab without seeing a doctor?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

IDK if a yearly checkup would have caught the cancer or not. All I do know is that the doctors all said had she come in sooner her prognosis would have been much better (no guarantees, of course). But she waited until she had symptoms she felt were bad enough to see a doctor.

So you don't get yearly blood work or cancer screens? Or does that happen in some type of lab without seeing a doctor?

In my case, I am on the pill and am asthmatic so if I haven't seen my doctor in the last year the nurse will check my weight and blood pressure before re-issuing the repeat. I happen to see my doctor reasonably regularly though due to chronic mental illness so never need to do that.

No yearly bloodwork. Again unless you're an at risk group. Every female gets, I want to say 4 yearly? pap/smear tests (I just get a letter and go so don't recall the frequency). If it's abnormal but not cancerous they repeat every year/whatever they think is appropriate. Older women get mammograms, older men get prostate.

I'd be curious if cancer/other chronic/potentially life limiting illnesses show better outcomes in the US with the yearly screening most have than in the UK when you go when symptomatic (let's face it, there will always be people who never go to the doctor until they are literally at deaths door).
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    It's a doctor's job to discuss any health problems or major health risks you are having. If they notice a funny mole, discoloration in your foot, or even if you have difficulty hearing them from certain angles, they're supposed to help you with it. I would fault a doctor for not bringing up an obvious health risk.

So I've been seeing the same doctor for five years. We've discussed my weight in the past. I go in because I'm concerned about a funny mole. Are you saying they should bring up my weight, again? Just in case I've forgotten I'm fat?
    So, there's a second part of this that people may not understand: that doctors are people too. They have strengths and flaws, their own personalities, and etc. Like everyone else, there are people they get along well with and there are people that they don't.

Generally speaking, if you find that you are not getting along with your doctor, you may want to find another doctor! Any board certified doctor will be generally qualified to give you medical advice and do their job.

One thing that may be helpful to remember in your relationships with doctors is that a lot of them are their own kind of animal :) A decade of hard schooling, I'm talking about memorizing books upon books - let's just say there are a lot of ways that doctors just aren't like the rest of us in terms of their social behaviors and patterns.

As with any person, I encourage people to be open minded, tolerant, and try to work with folks that may be very different from us. But if it ends up being too difficult, you can always find another doctor and maybe it'll be one you adore.

But to answer the other part of your question: I'm not going to fault a doctor for bringing up a person's weight. Being overweight is a scientifically proven major health risk that is in fact fairly urgent.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I had a dentist who made me do a cardio stress test before he would extract my wisdom teeth. I was about 50 lbs. overweight at the time, but that seemed ridiculous to me.

I had a boss who was having cataract surgery. His doctor made him get a stress test. A week later, he had a triple bypass, since it turned out his heart was seriously blocked. He was really mad, because he had had no symptoms of heart trouble and the surgery was really hard on him. Still, it probably saved his life.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Nope UK doesn't routinely do blood tests. They test if you go in with symptoms and there not sure the cause or if you have conditions that require monitoring ( I'm tested 6 monthly due to under active thyroid and malabsorption issues )

Pap smears are 3 yearly from age 25 until 60's I think and breast cancer screenings from 60

Other than that they only run tests if you have suspicious symptoms and your seen within 2 weeks

When my nipple turned inwards and a lump appeared after miscarriage the gp had me in a week later. Luckily for me it was just thrush in the ducts and a course of anti fungal cleared it

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I must have sucky doctors because I was clearly overweight (although I carried it well) and I have never, ever had a doctor mention my weight to me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Because I have thyroid issues, I have to go to the GP every year to get my prescription renewed. That is never covered by my supposed free annual exam. If I want blood tests, I have to ask for them. Because breast cancer runs in the family, I also get a mammogram every year. Otherwise I try to avoid doctors unless absolutely necessary.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    My cancer was found during my annual check-up. If I only went to the doctor when I felt sick or had pain, it probably wouldn't have been caught in time.

My fibroid (not a cancer, but it explains some symptoms I'd been having and disregarding) was found when I went in for hypertension concerns/annual physical.

I have the irritating issue of healthcare providers telling me I could stand to gain weight, or I don't need to exercise very much (or I don't need to count calories, etc.) because I'm thin. My BMI (which they know, having measured my height and weight) hovers around 20. But it takes work to keep it there!