Why does this program keep me hungry?

Options
I calculated how many calories I should have per day and still lose weight. Myfitnesspal has me at 1300 per day. I am so tired and hungry throughout the day. I know that if you are hungry, you are supposed to eat, but after I reach my limit, I feel guilty if I eat something, so I don't. I have gone to bed hungry! I do not feel like I have lost a pound in months. I did go down from a size 14 to a 12, but I have been this size for months now. Although I have a desk job, I exercise 4 to 5 times a week. My workouts include 2 Zumba classes, kickboxing, yoga and a boot camp. Other sites have placed my caloric intake much higher stating that I should consume about 1500 to 1800 calories per day and I will still lose weight. Am I not losing anymore weight because I am not eating enough of what? Anybody else experiencing this?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You're suppose to be eating 1300 + what you burn during exercise, that way you are netting 1300, which is your goal.

If you look at 1500-1800 calories you'd be grossing on other websites, you'll see it's that 1300 + exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're suppose to be eating 1300 + what you burn during exercise, that way you are netting 1300, which is your goal.

If you look at 1500-1800 calories you'd be grossing on other websites, you'll see it's that 1300 + exercise.

This exactly. Plus consider what you eat. 1,300 calories of cookies isn't going to keep you near as full as 1,300 calories of protein, fiber, and healthy goodness. Not saying you just eat cookies - although your diary is closed so who knows... :wink:
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    LOL, I couldn't eat 1300 calories of cookies even if I tried.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you burn 500 in exercise, then eat 1800 in the day, you are still hungry? What is your height, weight, age? Maybe you need the TDEE method.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    you ar e eatin g too few calories?
  • TheMrsSpringer
    Options
    Ready2Rock is right - you need to pay attention to WHAT you're eating in your 1300 calories. Make sure your meals are spread out throughout the day too - eating every 2 to 3 hours. Not just breakfast, lunch and dinner. Drink lots and lots of water. The more frequent you eat (like every 2 to 3 hours) will help keep your mind off being hungry and kick up your metabolism so your body uses the food in a more efficient way.
  • kat_lifts
    kat_lifts Posts: 56
    Options
    Hey girl! I do think they set the cals pretty low for certain goals. Try taking steps and aim to lose either less for the same amount of time or extend the amount of time.

Another suggestion is to go to a whole other route.. (Now, no hardcore MFP ppl stone me...) before MFP, which I actually JUST recently started using , I just ate clean.

No calorie counting, I just made sure that everything that went into my mouth was "clean". Processed food, gone. Refined sugar, bye. White rice/pasta/bread, adios. And my main focus was whole foods. And the great thing about it that I loved was that I could just eat eat and eat.

Of course there was cravings so I told myself I could have a cheat day, and I went crazy! But was able to bounce back most the time! Then slowly but eventually I was enjoying fresh fruit and vegs more than ever. My taste buds changed!

I lost 20 lbs in 2mo. NEVER feeling hungry. I did make sure to at least make an effort to work out 6 days a wk. So now, I'm at that level where I crave only clean foods so now my goal is to track the calories of these foods and see if I can get more of a result.

It's all about taking steps, it's how you truly can change the way you live for the best. Don't starve yourself but feed yourself nutrient dense food, and you'll find you have energy to do anything and be the best you you've always wanted!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're eating but my cals are also 1300 per day and I fimd EVERY DAY that I have to force myself to eat more to get close to my goal and am never, never hungry. And my only exercise is walking, my weight loss at about 2-3 lbs per wk. If u eat clean healthy foods they are naturally lower on calories and u can eat a lot more of them. If u are eating any processed foods like cereal or bread, they will give u the calories without the nutritive density that will make u feel fill.
  • deejkush
    deejkush Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time, too, even eating the calories I burn exercising. And I don't seem to be losing any weight, which causes me to get mad and then sabotage myself with a day or so of bad eating. Sound familiar, anyone?
  • kat_lifts
    kat_lifts Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time, too, even eating the calories I burn exercising. And I don't seem to be losing any weight, which causes me to get mad and then sabotage myself with a day or so of bad eating. Sound familiar, anyone?

Too familiar yes :/
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Each pound/week is 500 calories deficit/day. So if you input 2 pounds/week, you'll get a -1000 calories/day result (or the minimum of 1200 that MFP will allow). That's a drop from maintenance. A lot of people are used to eating over maintenance - which is why they were gaining weight in the first place.

So it's a pretty big drop.

And you're supposed to be eating back exercise calories with MFP.

Aaaanyway, this program isn't choosing your maximum hunger level. If you're feeling like the calorie limitation is unsustainable, choose a lower weight loss objective. Like 1 lb/week, or even 0.5 lb/week.

Just an additional 250/day (0.5 lb/week) can be a big difference in satiation and sustainability.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating? They can make you hungrier. I am rarely hungry on my low carb diet.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You need to eat back your exercise calories my friend :flowerforyou:
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm hungry and I am on my way to boot camp! I am reading all of these posts so please keep them coming. I really need the advice :smile:

Thanks
  • pansyviolet
    Options
    It sounds like you may not be eating enough
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm hungry and I am on my way to boot camp! I am reading all of these posts so please keep them coming. I really need the advice :smile:

Thanks

Change your settings to lose 1lb per week and eat back your exercise calories.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    ^ OP, don't do that.

Do this:
    Change your settings to lose 1lb per week and eat back your exercise calories.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Find more foods that satisfy but are low in calories. Veggies, smart dogs, carrots. If I have enough veggies in a day, I am never hungry. If - like today - I use up my dinner calories eating cookies in the afternoon, then I might be hungry. But that's ok. I gained weight eating pretty healthy, I have to push a little harder to lose it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I could. Easily. But I don't because, health and stuff. :grumble:

Anyway definitely either increase your calorie goal or start eating back your exercise calories. I've never gone to bed hungry and it hasn't stopped me from losing 46 lbs.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I could eat 1300 calories before I even realize that I've eaten that many. I think you're underestimating how many calories are in a cookie.