In need of some help!

Options
Just joined orange theory two weeks ago. I workout 4-5x a week and I've been eating fairly good. I haven't dropped a pound. And my app wants me eating twice as many calories. I'm dying. It wasn't this hard the first time I was losing weight :(

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Stats please - height, current weight, goal weight, target calories.

Are you measuring all your foods using scales (solids) and measuring cups/spoons (liquids only). And not relying on generic measurements like “piece” or “slice” or “bar”?

Most failure to lose is caused by either eating too many calories or not burning enough. Science for the win...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating now and how are you measuring your intake (that is, are you using a food scale?)?
  • armstrongchloe
    armstrongchloe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm eating way under the calorie amount just because it seems like sooo much to consume ...
    I've never weighed my food.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm eating way under the calorie amount just because it seems like sooo much to consume ...

If you aren't weighing your food then it's likely you're eating more than you think you are.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options

But maybe you need to now. If you think your target calories set by MFP is too high, you are massively underestimating your intake currently.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150
    Target calories- it has me at a little over 2,000
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    I weighed about 195 before and dropped down to like 160 with a good diet and exercise and I'm burning way more calories now but it seems like it's a lot harder this go around
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

And you’ve set your loss to 0.5lbs which is the reasonable amount to aim for with so little to lose?
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

And you’ve set your loss to 0.5lbs which is the reasonable amount to aim for with so little to lose?

I had it at 1 lb a week
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

I had it at 1 lb a week

Try accurately measuring your foods and only eat back a portion of your exercise calories for a month then reassess again. By the sound of it you are likely to be at least underestimating your intake and possibly overestimating your burn.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

I had it at 1 lb a week

Try accurately measuring your foods and only eat back a portion of your exercise calories for a month then reassess again. By the sound of it you are likely to be at least underestimating your intake and possibly overestimating your burn.

Would there be any possible way I could go around not measuring? I mean surely, right?
    That just seems like a lot.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If you had it set for a one pound per week goal, and you're eating about 1000 under that, you're actually aiming to lose 3 pounds per week, which isn't remotely reasonable or healthy, with those stats. Have you tried eating to your entered goal?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that when you start a new exercise program, you can put on some water weight for a few weeks. Add that to normal water weight fluctuations due to your hormonal cycle, and that could cover up any fat you may have lost.

I'd second the suggestion to get a food scale, double check that the entries you are using in the database are accurate, and be patient :) Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If you had it set for a one pound per week goal, and you're eating about 1000 under that, you're actually aiming to lose 3 pounds per week, which isn't remotely reasonable or healthy, with those stats. Have you tried eating to your entered goal?

But if OP isn't losing weight (and it's only been two weeks, so I know it's still early days), then she isn't eating to a calorie goal that will have her losing 3 pounds a week. If she continues to not lose weight, it's likely that is is eating more than she thinks she is and that's the issue.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't nearly enough time... but I would expect some initial water weight loss by eating 1/2 the recommended calories MFP gave you. If eating 1000ish cals a day, you are severely under eating as well.

Curious what you set MFP activity level to that gave you 2000 to lose 1 pound a week?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

I had it at 1 lb a week

Would there be any possible way I could go around not measuring? I mean surely, right?
    That just seems like a lot.

The only way you will truly know how much you are eating is by measuring. Everything else is just guesswork and you’ve discovered what that means for you - no weight loss.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    I think I am worried that I'm consuming so much, since I've always been in the 1700-1800 range. I haven't tried going the full 2340
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Two weeks isn't nearly enough time... but I would expect some initial water weight loss by eating 1/2 the recommended calories MFP gave you. If eating 1000ish cals a day, you are severely under eating as well.

Curious what you set MFP activity level to that gave you 2000 to lose 1 pound a week?

Very active
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think I am worried that I'm consuming so much, since I've always been in the 1700-1800 range. I haven't tried going the full 2340

But you don’t know that you are eating 1700-1800. You could easily be eating a lot more than 2340. If you were truely eating 2340 (assessed by measuring your foods) you might lose. You’ll never know unless you measure.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Very active

Do you have a very active job?