In need of some help!

Options
2»

Replies

• armstrongchloe
    armstrongchloe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you had it set for a one pound per week goal, and you're eating about 1000 under that, you're actually aiming to lose 3 pounds per week, which isn't remotely reasonable or healthy, with those stats. Have you tried eating to your entered goal?
    I think I am worried that I'm consuming so much, since I've always been in the 1700-1800 range. I haven't tried going the full 2340

But you don’t know that you are eating 1700-1800. You could easily be eating a lot more than 2340. If you were truely eating 2340 (assessed by measuring your foods) you might lose. You’ll never know unless you measure.

So your saying the MFP measurements could be complete BS? Like when entering a meal
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you ever worked out at this intensity before? Orange Theory is pretty intense. You need to feed that extra exercise.

You are guessing at your calorie intake because you aren't weighing your food.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Two weeks isn't nearly enough time... but I would expect some initial water weight loss by eating 1/2 the recommended calories MFP gave you. If eating 1000ish cals a day, you are severely under eating as well.

Curious what you set MFP activity level to that gave you 2000 to lose 1 pound a week?
    Two weeks isn't nearly enough time... but I would expect some initial water weight loss by eating 1/2 the recommended calories MFP gave you. If eating 1000ish cals a day, you are severely under eating as well.

Curious what you set MFP activity level to that gave you 2000 to lose 1 pound a week?

Very active

Do you have a very active job?

It depends on the day, I'm either on my feet all day or at my desk.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150
    Target calories- it has me at a little over 2,000

And you’ve set your loss to 0.5lbs which is the reasonable amount to aim for with so little to lose?

I had it at 1 lb a week

Try accurately measuring your foods and only eat back a portion of your exercise calories for a month then reassess again. By the sound of it you are likely to be at least underestimating your intake and possibly overestimating your burn.

Would there be any possible way I could go around not measuring? I mean surely, right?
    That just seems like a lot.

You don't *have* to weigh your food to lose weight, but you do have to eat at a deficit, and measuring as accurately as possible is a very good way to do that. You could try measuring for just a couple of weeks and using that as a baseline for cutting back. Or even just generally tracking, but you really shouldn't take your numbers as gospel.

I'm 5'2" and 176 lbs, and I can lose weight at 2000 calories a day. I suspect you can too. Most people don't have a very accurate sense of how many calories are in a portion and how much they're consuming.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you had it set for a one pound per week goal, and you're eating about 1000 under that, you're actually aiming to lose 3 pounds per week, which isn't remotely reasonable or healthy, with those stats. Have you tried eating to your entered goal?
    I think I am worried that I'm consuming so much, since I've always been in the 1700-1800 range. I haven't tried going the full 2340

But you don’t know that you are eating 1700-1800. You could easily be eating a lot more than 2340. If you were truely eating 2340 (assessed by measuring your foods) you might lose. You’ll never know unless you measure.

So your saying the MFP measurements could be complete BS? Like when entering a meal

Your MFP measurements are only going to be as accurate as your measurements. If you're using inaccurate methods (like eyeballing or using measuring cups), then MFP can't improve on that and somehow know exactly how much you're eating.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options

There are a lot of BS entries but even the accurate ones aren’t helping you now because you don’t know how much you are consuming because you aren’t measuring.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Have you ever worked out at this intensity before? Orange Theory is pretty intense. You need to feed that extra exercise.

You are guessing at your calorie intake because you aren't weighing your food.

Not since high school. Which was only about 4.5 years ago
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Very active

So you are very active and currently eating 1/2 the cals.. not a real good mix for weight loss. You still need to eat an adequate calorie intake to lose weight and handle your activity level.

And two weeks is still too soon even if you think you are eating under the MFP cal recommendation. But the only way you are going to know what's going on is to buy a food scale, log your intake daily.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

But if OP isn't losing weight (and it's only been two weeks, so I know it's still early days), then she isn't eating to a calorie goal that will have her losing 3 pounds a week. If she continues to not lose weight, it's likely that is is eating more than she thinks she is and that's the issue.

While that's true, I was speaking to her goal, which would likely continue if she did start measuring her food, unless she reevaluates.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

And you’ve set your loss to 0.5lbs which is the reasonable amount to aim for with so little to lose?

I had it at 1 lb a week

Try accurately measuring your foods and only eat back a portion of your exercise calories for a month then reassess again. By the sound of it you are likely to be at least underestimating your intake and possibly overestimating your burn.

Would there be any possible way I could go around not measuring? I mean surely, right?

Honestly it isn't a lot

Get a digital food scale and a couple of bowls, a small white board and just do it. Keep the scale out
    on the kitchen work top and use it all the time

I've done it and I'm a sad, fat, lonely depressed guy with a start weight of 290 who was living on fast food deliveries

Only now I've been weighing and logging for 89 days and it's second nature. Believe I RESISTED like resistant thing in the beginning. You've got a way better start position. I've losted 38lbs in that time btw

Get weighing and logging, get hitting your goals

or don't, guess how much you're eating and then wonder why you're not losing
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. You sound just like me. I fought and fought and FOUGHT against buying a scale and weighing my food. But when I wasn't losing I finally bought one and voila! I started losing weight once I started weighing my food.

My stats are yours almost exactly 5'8", 172. I'm eating 1800 calories a day and am losing on that. I lift weights with some cardio 6 days a week.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    Guess my next question is okay I weigh my food and that's how it'll enter it in from now on?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    Guess my next question is okay I weigh my food and that's how it'll enter it in from now on?

Sorry, not sure I understand the question?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    height- 5'8
    Current weight- 173
    Goal weight- 150

I had it at 1 lb a week

Sure - eat less to account for the calories you're eating but not logging.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options

In MFP. Basically I'll just be accumulating serving sizes based on ounces and grams.

Instead of scanning a barcode for example I'll actually weigh the food and put in the Measurement in my fitness pal
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options

In MFP. Basically I'll just be accumulating serving sizes based on ounces and grams.

Instead of scanning a barcode for example I'll actually weigh the food and put in the Measurement in my fitness pal

Yes. Scan the barcode but also weigh the item. So if the item has 100 calories per 100g and your item weighs 120g then you enter 1.2 servings.
  • armstrongchloe
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help! I'm going to try this out and see how it goes!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Yes. They only way to stay accountable to what you are consuming in a day and working through the proper amount of calories you need to stay active but comfortably lose weight is to use the tools.. You cannot go wrong with using a food scale and logging in your diary each day.

If you don't want to do this method, eat less foods you consume now. If you are fairly consistent with eating the same foods each day, you can just cut something out or shorten your regular meals.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help! I'm going to try this out and see how it goes!

Enjoy! And remember to give it time to take effect. A good few weeks at least.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Very active

Do you have a very active job?

It depends on the day, I'm either on my feet all day or at my desk.

It's also possible that your activity level is too high. The MFP activity level should be based on your normal daily actions, not including exercise (exercise is added separately and you should eat some of those calories back).

Once you've been weighing your food on a scale for a while, if you're still not losing you might want to lower your activity level a bit.