Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's All Sugar's Fault

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I think there are several factors... sugar yes, but mostly because there's a lot more of it in things now because when they pulled all the fat out of foods in the 80's they replaced it all with sugar

People repeat this all the time, but I don't think it's true.

Low fat isn't a current trend, and most "low fat" things tend to either have nothing added (low fat dairy, low fat ground beef, skinless, boneless chicken breasts) or are "diet" products that also use fake sugar. For example, Halo Top has less fat than normal ice cream, but also artificial sweetener. Yogurts sold as low cal use fake sugar. Yes, some flavored yogurts have sugar added, but that has nothing to do with being fat fat or not, full fat Noosa or Fage have flavored versions too. Chocolate milk (added sugar) has all the fat.

There are more and probably better tasting (to those into them) snack foods available now, but as I said above they tend to be high in fat as well as carbs (sometimes sugar, sometimes not).

I guess fat free cookies are still a thing among some, but they are hardly something the grocery store is bursting with. I don't think the average food with lots of sugar has more than it otherwise would due to the fat free thing anymore. (Palates might be on average sweeter now, although that missed me, and I recall sugary cereals being awfully darn sugary back when I was a kid -- I hated cereal and didn't like the sweetness, I thought it was weird -- as well as there being a ton of super sugary snack products (Honey Buns, anyone? or pixie stix?).)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    EllenSBry wrote: »
    I'm pretty over this discussion, so I'm just going to say, low carb, high protein, reasonable fat is working great for me. YMMV. You all do you. I'll stick with what works for me.

Can you answer the question about how you tracked your calories while you calorie counted and had no results?

You came to a debate forum and made some assertions.

Furthermore, I'm glad you've found something that's working for you, but don't you want to understand WHY it's working?

Low carbing worked for me up to a point because I wasn't counting calories. I only got down to a certain weight and then the scale stopped moving. Calorie counting wasn't stressed, just how evil carbs and sugar were. I was counting carbs, I thought I was doing everything right.

Eventually, a stressful situation happened, and I did what I always did, I stress ate. This situation was ongoing, and weight piled on while I was still counting carbs.

It's not magic.

Calories still count. Learn to count them accurately this time. And learn that's why you're losing weight. You're eating fewer calories than you were when you thought you were accurately counting before.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The test for this is easy. Try cutting your carb and sugar intake and see what happens. I know what it's done for me.

I upped my carb intake for weight loss by going high fiber.

Yeah, fiber isn't actually used by your body and doesn't really count as a carb, it just fills you up and then leaves your body. You feel full longer so you eat less. Without realizing it, you were lowering your net carb intake.

I don't know what you mean by "doesn't count as a carb". Fibers are carbohydrates whether you count them or not.

But no, my net carb intake stayed about the same. I've never been one to eat a lot of sweets because I like to use my "pleasure calories" for wine or beer. My total carbs increased and I lowered my fat intake. Fat is the thing I find easiest to overeat.

Like Need2, I also find fat the easiest to overeat.

When I decided to fix my diet to avoid excess calories (initially without counting), I did two things. First, I cut back on added fat and cheese. Second, I paid more attention to serving sizes more generally and specifically cut back on portions of starchy carbs (although also some kinds of higher cal meat). The first is because that's where I tend to overeat, and the second is because my eye fools me sometimes and I will eat something because it is on my plate, and because I don't really care about starchy carbs so am easily satisfied with less.

I ate more of some kinds of carbs (legumes, fruit, root vegetables, dairy) than before.

I also cut out snacking since it is something I can do mindlessly, but that is more focused on what I like and is available vs. sweet or carbs (it could as easily be good cheese or nuts or dried apricots).
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is what my doctor told me today is the reason people are overweight/obese today. It's a very commonly used explanation on these boards so I wanted to open it up for discussion.

He said that we (I assume he meant Americans, but I guess it could be expanded to Westerners in general) eat about the same number of calories our parents and grandparents used to, but now everything has sugar and unrefined carbohydrates in it. And that's why we're so fat now.

The only sources he cited were a couple of documentaries I eventually got him to admit were the ones on Netflix.

I think this is a load of hooey and had to try hard to keep a straight face and a closed mouth.

But what do you think?

Did you know to become a doctor you typically have to only take an introductory nutrition course?! Not your area sir!!!! Wow that is so sad and funny all at the same time!!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think there are several factors... sugar yes, but mostly because there's a lot more of it in things now because when they pulled all the fat out of foods in the 80's they replaced it all with sugar.
    Also though because people are relying more on chemical laden processed food instead of cooking at home the way we used to, also portion sizes have tripled.
    And people used to get more exercise.

See my post above, can you provide some examples of foods which you feel are high in sugar as a result of the low fat focus in prior decades? While I think this was a situation with some foods (Snackwells comes to mind), I don't think this is actually prevalent in foods today - would be interested in some examples where you feel sugar content is high relative to the content of other ingredients.

Also interested what "chemical laden processed foods" you think are contributing to the obesity epidemic and what specific chemicals you find concerning? As I mentioned above, I eat a decent amount of processed/convenience foods including frozen meals, skillet dinners, etc that I use as part of my busy lifestyle. It hasn't prevented me from losing weight, in fact, I find frozen meals and a skillet dinner with the addition of extra protein and some frozen vegetables to be an easy way to control calories.

Portion sizes - perhaps. If a person is monitoring their intake, this is fairly easy to control when preparing food for oneself. Even when eating out - it's not necessary to "super size" fast food meals, at a sit down restaurant a person can take leftovers home for another meal. It still comes down to personal accountability.

I agree that we are more sedentary than we used to be. I also agree with others that suggest this is one of the biggest contributing factors to the obesity epidemic.

+1
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The test for this is easy. Try cutting your carb and sugar intake and see what happens. I know what it's done for me.

I upped my carb intake for weight loss by going high fiber.

Yeah, fiber isn't actually used by your body and doesn't really count as a carb, it just fills you up and then leaves your body. You feel full longer so you eat less. Without realizing it, you were lowering your net carb intake.

Here is my dinner for today. Lots of vegetables. Even my dessert was a vegetable today. Carb count sans honey: 56, of which only 1/4 is fiber. I have consumed the equivalent of more than a can of soda of vegetable carbs, not counting the fiber. Vegetables aren't 100% fiber.

hpf2205h2t96.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty over this discussion, so I'm just going to say, low carb, high protein, reasonable fat is working great for me. YMMV. You all do you. I'll stick with what works for me.

You posted in a Debate thread titled "It's All Sugar's Fault" that already has 6 pages of detailed arguments, and came in with what sounded like a pretty universal message - that added sugars are to blame. People are "debating" with you. Did you read the rest of the thread? Do you have anything to add to the many posts before yours that seem to refute your point?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think there are several factors... sugar yes, but mostly because there's a lot more of it in things now because when they pulled all the fat out of foods in the 80's they replaced it all with sugar

Low fat isn't a current trend, and most "low fat" things tend to either have nothing added (low fat dairy, low fat ground beef, skinless, boneless chicken breasts) or are "diet" products that also use fake sugar. For example, Halo Top has less fat than normal ice cream, but also artificial sweetener. Yogurts sold as low cal use fake sugar. Yes, some flavored yogurts have sugar added, but that has nothing to do with being fat fat or not, full fat Noosa or Fage have flavored versions too. Chocolate milk (added sugar) has all the fat.

There are more and probably better tasting (to those into them) snack foods available now, but as I said above they tend to be high in fat as well as carbs (sometimes sugar, sometimes not).

I guess fat free cookies are still a thing among some, but they are hardly something the grocery store is bursting with. I don't think the average food with lots of sugar has more than it otherwise would due to the fat free thing anymore. (Palates might be on average sweeter now, although that missed me, and I recall sugary cereals being awfully darn sugary back when I was a kid -- I hated cereal and didn't like the sweetness, I thought it was weird -- as well as there being a ton of super sugary snack products (Honey Buns, anyone? or pixie stix?).)

This is a footnote, but I do think some/many foods have gotten sweeter since my childhood (1950s-60s).

I believe that across many food categories, but this is the memory that seals it for me:

When I was a child there was a whole category of rather horrifying molded "salads" that contained veggies, meats, fish and sometimes dairy (sour cream, cream cheese or cottage cheese, typically). They were made with gelatin, sometimes unflavored, but sometimes commercial lemon or lime jello. Dubious pseudo-aspic, basically.

A few years back, I read something about a modern 1950s buff trying out these old recipes, who remarked on how awful the profound sweetness of the lime jello was with the other ingredients (I think it may've been some tuna/black olive/celery sort of thing, though I don't recall specifically).

I ate those so-called salads as a young person. Believe me, they were unpleasant enough to me at the time that I have a pretty clear memory. The problem was not that they were too sweet. They were slightly sweet, slightly citrus, and totally revolting. Modern Jello is, IMO, very different from 1960s jello.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is a footnote, but I do think some/many foods have gotten sweeter since my childhood (1950s-60s).

I believe that across many food categories, but this is the memory that seals it for me:

When I was a child there was a whole category of rather horrifying molded "salads" that contained veggies, meats, fish and sometimes dairy (sour cream, cream cheese or cottage cheese, typically). They were made with gelatin, sometimes unflavored, but sometimes commercial lemon or lime jello. Dubious pseudo-aspic, basically.

A few years back, I read something about a modern 1950s buff trying out these old recipes, who remarked on how awful the profound sweetness of the lime jello was with the other ingredients (I think it may've been some tuna/black olive/celery sort of thing, though I don't recall specifically).

I ate those so-called salads as a young person. Believe me, they were unpleasant enough to me at the time that I have a pretty clear memory. The problem was not that they were too sweet. They were slightly sweet, slightly citrus, and totally revolting. Modern Jello is, IMO, very different from 1960s jello.

Interesting. I also notice this about a lot of foods from my youth but I've always attributed it to changes in my tastes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If the jello tastes more sweet, I think it's likely due to a decrease in the acid used for tartness rather than an increase in the amount of sugar contained in it.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I haven't noticed that about jello, but I don't think I've had jello since I was a kid, and even then ('70s and '80s) I recall it mostly being used in sweet applications (although not being super sweet, but mixed with fruit and cream cheese it wouldn't stick out as in a savory application). Maybe it changed before then, or maybe I just missed the era of the truly awful jello salad.

I don't have much overlap with the foods I ate that were sweet as a kid (see, e,g, pixie stix), beyond classic things like pie and cookies, and my recipes for those don't involve more sugar than my mother's or grandmother's did. I do think my own tastes have changed somewhat in a variety of ways.

Oddly enough, my sister -- who ate a ton more super sweet stuff when I was a kid than I did (I was more into savory even as a child) -- had her taste change a lot more, and basically doesn't have a sweet tooth at all anymore. (On the other hand, we both hated spicy as little kids, and I now love it (that started to change by my teens), whereas she's still quite skeptical.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If the jello tastes more sweet, I think it's likely due to a decrease in the acid used for tartness rather than an increase in the amount of sugar contained in it.

I tried googling but couldn't find anything about an increase in sugar. I did read a couple of interesting articles about the history of Jell-O though.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

For me, the easiest way for me to lose weight is to calorie count with the freedom to eat what I want while staying within my calorie budget, not stressing about what I'm eating or what type of food I'm eating. I try to eat healthier foods, leaner meats, more fish and less beef, more vegetables and the like, but if I have a craving for chips or cookies or even McDonald's french fries, I have them - I'm just learning to eat smaller portions, aiming for a kiddie french fry or something like that. And for me, this method has worked - I've lost 90 lbs so far and 8 inches from my waist. I've kept it up for 10 months. This is the method that is best sustainable for me and has provided the best results - but this is what works for me and may not be the method that someone else needs.

Yeah, I think the whole "cut carbs/cut sugar/cut whatever" frequently doesn't work for people because then they just eat too many calories of something else.

On the other hand, it seems to me like approaching it from a "count and limit your calories" standpoint frequently leads to a lower sugar intake regardless, because people who are counting their calories quickly discover that they can't eat that many high-sugar food items in a day without quickly running into their calorie limit.

Like, if you've started logging your calories and you go to eat a Cinnabon and discover it has 880 calories, most people are going to think, "Oh I better not eat that, or else I'll find myself unable to eat a full dinner without going over my calorie budget." And then all of a sudden they're eating less sugar.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    DELETED DO NOT QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY FOOD COMPANIES. GMO IS LOVE, GMO IS LIFE.

What does this thread have to do with GMO? Did you mean to post in another thread?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you throw in that besides an obvious increase in mechanized tasks resulting in decreased incidental daily movement, it's quite easy to see what the main cause of the obesity crisis is.

Yep.