Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I want to be 125 lbs.....I'm 5'7".

Is this aiming too low?

Try it, and you'll find out...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    My goal used to be 125 (I'm 5'4") but after seeing so many people decide they looked and felt better at higher weights than their original goals, I decided to focus on an initial goal of 145, at which point I might decide to still aim for 125, or for something in the middle. You might consider having various short-term goals and assessing how you feel at each step.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    It really is going to depend on your body composition, aesthetic goals and body frame.
    I am currently 125 Ibs at just under 5'10 and apparently, I look far too thin. I have been this weight before and not looked too bad. The difference is, presumably, that I was fairly inactive the previous time and had a decent bodyfat %. This time round I have more lean mass due to training. You have to see how you feel and look as you head downwards as you may well find you are happy before you get there...and as others have said, it is a number. It is more important to stop where you feel healthy and are happy with your appearance. A person can be 125 Ibs at 5'7 and still appear somewhat flabby due to the fact they have not worked on retaining muscle as they lost weight.

Body composition really does make a vast difference. I have been in the same clothing size at 126 Ibs as when I was at 140 Ibs.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    I don't think it's too low, unless you have a larger bone structure/frame. I'm 5'8 and my goal is to get back to my old weight, 130, I was slim at 130 but definitely didn't look underweight or scrawny.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Who knows... I'm 5'8", and 143lbs is the absolute lowest I'll go, anything under that makes me look sick and haggard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'm 5'4.5" and I couldn't even maintain 135 lbs, so to each their own I guess.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I want to be 125 lbs.....I'm 5'7".

Is this aiming too low?

I don't know if it is too low.
    Why did you choose that number? What do you think it would feel like for you to weigh 125 lbs? Have you ever been close to that weight as an adult?
    How far are you from 125 lbs today? Are you looking at losing 50 lbs or 10 lbs? What are you going to put yourself through to get there and maintain there?
    Generally I would say judge how you feel as you go but if you are at a healthy weight now and are aiming for the very bottom of that range then maybe it isn't a good idea to set that goal. Maybe your goal should be more strength training instead of weight loss.

When I chose a goal weight I had the experience of being everything from 100 lbs to about 180 lbs as an adult. I know the lower end of the healthy weight range for my height didn't feel right to me. I felt my best towards the middle and okay toward the top. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range and stay there.

You'll have to reflect on it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I believe it's toward the low end of what's considered a healthy weight for your height.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    The more important question is WHY do you want to weigh 125# ?