Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    lol look at immature people on an app trying to bully someone else. I didn't say I'll give it a try based off one opinion I said it because I've heard several opinions. If I try to for a week or so and find no luck than I think that's my choice and has nothing to do with anyone else. That way it allows me to create my own opinion on it. Im trying to work on myself and sure didn't sign up for something where people are mean and negative. I would never do that to someone else but guess I'm not cruel that way

I think giving it a try is a good idea! Many people have great results with it, not just for weight loss but with their overall health. Since there's so many interpretations of Paleo, you can start strict and adjust to what works for you. Good luck!

Thanks I appreciate it! To each is his own right? lol I'm just trying to improve myself and find something that works best for me especially since everyone is different.
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/

Everyone is different in their preferences.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    lol look at immature people on an app trying to bully someone else. I didn't say I'll give it a try based off one opinion I said it because I've heard several opinions. If I try to for a week or so and find no luck than I think that's my choice and has nothing to do with anyone else. That way it allows me to create my own opinion on it. Im trying to work on myself and sure didn't sign up for something where people are mean and negative. I would never do that to someone else but guess I'm not cruel that way

Instead of trying to go Paleo "cold turkey" I would recommend you just ease yourself into it. When you go grocery shopping, only buy paleo approved food, use up the restricted food you already own, and just don't replace it.

Going full paleo overnight can be really hard, and probably result in failure. But gradually making dietary and lifestyle changes that are "more paleo" is probably going to be more successful.

Good luck.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    OP: Based on the vibe I'm getting from you I'd recommend against it. I'm pretty sure you're looking for a gimmick for quick weight loss whereas paleo is a lifestyle I don't get the impression you're committed to.

I predict you'll try it for a while, it'll get "hard", you'll quit and move on to the next gimmick.

For the paleo folks reading this:I'm not criticizing paleo but rather this particular person's obvious lack of commitment to the lifestyle that will almost certainly result in failure to reach her desired goal.

Thanks for your opinion on my life but I'm not looking for a "gimmick" you don't know me nor my lifestyle or my level of commitment. lol it's funny how people on this thing can try to judge a person and act like they actually know them and say things like "I'm not criticizing paleo but rather than this particular persons lack of commitment"

You said you are going to try it for a week or so. A week or so isn't nearly enough time to give anything a proper trial.
  • barkertiffany0
    barkertiffany0 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A week isn't long enough to get benefits of any way of eating.

Trying it out for a week or so does not mean to see results. It means if it's so hard and time consuming like people are saying. It's for me to see if it works out with my busy schedule. Not just the results.
  • barkertiffany0
    Options

jdlobb wrote: »

Instead of trying to go Paleo "cold turkey" I would recommend you just ease yourself into it. When you go grocery shopping, only buy paleo approved food, use up the restricted food you already own, and just don't replace it.

Going full paleo overnight can be really hard, and probably result in failure. But gradually making dietary and lifestyle changes that are "more paleo" is probably going to be more successful.

Good luck.

Thanks! I was definitely going to ease myself into it. I'm just trying to eat less processed food. I couldn't change it all in one night :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    OP: Based on the vibe I'm getting from you I'd recommend against it. I'm pretty sure you're looking for a gimmick for quick weight loss whereas paleo is a lifestyle I don't get the impression you're committed to.

I predict you'll try it for a while, it'll get "hard", you'll quit and move on to the next gimmick.

For the paleo folks reading this:I'm not criticizing paleo but rather this particular person's obvious lack of commitment to the lifestyle that will almost certainly result in failure to reach her desired goal.

Thanks for your opinion on my life but I'm not looking for a "gimmick" you don't know me nor my lifestyle or my level of commitment. lol it's funny how people on this thing can try to judge a person and act like they actually know them and say things like "I'm not criticizing paleo but rather than this particular persons lack of commitment"

You said you are going to try it for a week or so. A week or so isn't nearly enough time to give anything a proper trial.

While I agree, that does not mean she's looking for a gimmick. It doesn't mean she lacks commitment. It does not equate her to Homer Simpson after being hit in the head. And it does not mean she isn't reading replies.

OP, I'm not a fan of Paleo. I think it makes some very ridiculous claims. But if you want to try it I agree with the advice from @jdlobb and @lucys1215 , ease yourself into and modify if some things seem overly strict for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • barkertiffany0
    Options

Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to try it for a week or so not for the results. Everyone is saying it's time consuming so its for me to see if I have enough time in my schedule for this kind of diet or not.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Most fad diets have some type of underlying sociopolitical ethos outside of just health in one way or another. I must admit I have never quite understood this from the paleo crowd. That Barney Rubble had it so much better back in the day?
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to try it for a week or so not for the results. Everyone is saying it's time consuming so its for me to see if I have enough time in my schedule for this kind of diet or not.

Here to just say don't think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. If you do a "diet" it's restricting something. Carbs, or "processed foods" or whatever it may be. But it's restricting something.

No need when you can eat what you'd like (in a calorie deficit) and still lose weight. Good luck to you.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    NerdFitness is a site with some decent info and falls pretty pro-paleo. Say what you will on the format, it's not for everyone and gets too cute with it's theme from time to time. I know there is a level-based "steps to full paleo" write up somewhere but I couldn't find it with a quick search, here's the paleo guide they put together which should give you a good idea if it's something you want to jump into or fall somewhere on the paleo-ish spectrum.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If your busy schedule is a deciding factor, then my best tip would be to use your slow cooker/pressure cooker. It will save your life. Meal plan - meats and vegetables are really what you need, don't spend money on flours. There are a bunch of paleo friendly slow cooker recipes. You received some good snack ideas. Good luck. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A week isn't long enough to get benefits of any way of eating.

Trying it out for a week or so does not mean to see results. It means if it's so hard and time consuming like people are saying. It's for me to see if it works out with my busy schedule. Not just the results.

If going totally paleo is a big change for you (it wasn't for me, but it depends on how you currently eat), giving it a try for a week isn't really going to tell you that.

What I think makes more sense is think through why you want to go paleo, what appeals, and also what seems hard about it, make a plan of how to be more paleo in your eating, and start. Similar to what jblobb said.

I found it easy because I don't really eat bread or a lot of grains anyway (I like pasta, but it's not hard to eat something else), and because although I love beans and think they are very healthy I don't eat as many as I should. I also mostly cook at home. So it was just a matter of not cooking grains/pasta/rice (which again was easy for me) and cutting out dairy (which wasn't as easy but isn't that tough). My meals were home cooked and based around eggs and veg or meat and veg already.

If you think it would be harder, ease in, but also think about whether some of the things paleo shares with many other ways of eating -- eating more vegetables, doing more home cooking -- are really what is helpful, and not specifically cutting out grains and legumes and dairy (all of which can be healthful, and are often minimally or non processed foods, not that "processing" is the devil).

I found some aspects of paleo appealing, but mostly the things I'd do anyway, as indicated above and in my prior post. The idea that making bread with almond flour vs. wheat flour or buying paleo snacks vs, other snacks or avoiding legumes (which are healthy and most people probably don't eat enough of) vs. more red meal, no, not really sensible or healthy at all IMO. And the claims about how we should eat like paleo people are silly for lots of reasons.

But that's not to say you shouldn't try it if it appeals, and like I said above, I think many of the things people do while paleo are helpful things to do anyway (homecooking, eating enough protein and lots of vegetables, ideally eating more of the animal than we normally do and sourcing it thoughtfully).

Just my 2 cents.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I will say again that it's NOT especially time consuming or difficult, IMO.

It's more restrictive than I think is necessary (mostly because I think legumes, whole grains, and dairy can be healthful).

Adjusting to it might seem time-consuming at first if you are not used to cooking, but if you are it's no more time-consuming that any other way of eating where you mostly cook your own food.

Is it expensive? Not necessarily BUT beans and grains can be cheap staples. So it depends. If you have been buying a lot of food and replace it with cooking, could be cheaper.