Your ideal weight

Options
Jessamine
Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
How did you pick your ideal weight? I'm indecisive on this one. The normal weight range for my height (5'5") is about 114-149 and I have a small frame.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    According to the charts I should weigh between 120 - 150. I can't even imagine the time and dedication it would take for me to maintain at 150 - let alone go any lower.

I don't think you need to decide until you get to a weight somewhere higher in your range and then see how it feels/looks/etc and go from there.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think the best indicator you have is your previous weights. Is there a time in your life that you look back on and wish you were that weight again? If there is then aim for that, if not then aim for the highest weight in your BMI healthy range as a start if you are starting in the overweight category. Your own judgement of whether you look and feel good is more reliable than a number generated by bmi- apparently at 5 ft 6 I should be between 115 and 154. 115 is my highest I would go though however muscle weight will change this over time probably though as I intend to gain muscle and getting up to 115 in muscle is my aim. As I am in my muscle lacking state, anything over 120 looks big on me.
  • myfavoritealpha
    myfavoritealpha Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I need to be at least another 20 lbs under my goal weight according to BMI. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I didn't...I wanted to be at a healthy BF% and figured 15% BF would be good and easily maintainable...so I cut until I was about 15% BF...had no idea what the weight would be. "Weight" is kind of an arbitrary target as it is comprised of many things other than fat.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a hard gainer so I picked BMI 22 at single-digit body fat. Right smack dab in the healthy range and with lean body mass it should look decent. BMI 21.6 right now, so getting close.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I think the best indicator you have is your previous weights. Is there a time in your life that you look back on and wish you were that weight again? If there is then aim for that, if not then aim for the highest weight in your BMI healthy range as a start if you are starting in the overweight category. Your own judgement of whether you look and feel good is more reliable than a number generated by bmi- apparently at 5 ft 6 I should be between 115 and 154. 115 is my highest I would go though however muscle weight will change this over time probably though as I intend to gain muscle and getting up to 115 in muscle is my aim. As I am in my muscle lacking state, anything over 120 looks big on me.

I was thinking similarly, but be careful going back too far, to be sure it's realistic and healthy. When I was 18, I weighed 118, and that was very healthy for me at that time. When I was 25, 135 was what looked really good on me (and I'd had a breast reduction in between, very little weight lifting). My current goal range is 135-140, but I'm not dead set on it, and will reevaluate as I get closer.

ETA: I'm 5' 2.75" with a large frame, and unusually high lean mass (proportionate to height) for a female.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the same weight range as yourself...but a bigger frame. I didn't pick a weight...I am not focused on a % of BF either. I picked a size. It will require a combination of both fat loss and muscle toning but my version of where I look most attractive cant be found with a scale or BF number. But it can be found in a clothing size number.
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to determine a weight that I could maintain. I've been yo-yo dieting my entire adult life: I want off this crazy train. If I were to try to be the 115-145 the charts say I'm supposed to be for my height-- I'd lose my mind: I could absolutely never maintain that. I've been some years back175 and that looked really good on me, so once I get closer to that number, I'll determine the weight that looks best on me. The key is: you have to be able to maintain that weight (if you're focusing on weight loss now). Sure I could diet myself to 140# but I know that it would be impossible for me to maintain that weight. I have not seen the low to mid 100s since grade school. We have to be realistic with what we can maintain.
    Jessamine wrote: »
    How did you pick your ideal weight? I'm indecisive on this one. The normal weight range for my height (5'5") is about 114-149 and I have a small frame.

• hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I looked at the normal BMI for my height and decided to set my first goal to the upper end of that so I would be out of the "overweight" category. I am about 10 lbs away from that and feel like I would like to lose more than that, so I have readjusted my goal. In my head I am thinking getting down to single digit clothing size would be an end goal I'd be happy with. Weight is very dependent on muscle vs. fat %, everyone is going to be different.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What you will typically find is a range for ideal weight based upon several different methodologies such as the Monnerot-Dumaine's formula, Broca's, Lorentz, etc.

I picked what I wanted to maintain at partially based upon what my doctor suggested as I saw him pretty regularly during the process and he just told me point blank that there was no longer any sound medical justification to continue. But even more so than that I was just done losing weight. I looked and felt great, and I just knew it was time to hang em up and start maintaining. It's mentally and physically taxing to be on a 14 month long cut regimen. I was ready for it to be over. Post my pic on the success stories tab and call it a day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 60 years old. I started with a weight I had attained several years ago that felt really good at the time - 135. I dropped from 177 to 135. Then I started running and lost a few pounds and was happy at 131. That was about 7 years ago. I did some bouncing around thanks to injury, depression, etc. so I yoyoed from 123 - 138 over a few years. I still considered 131 my ideal though. When I got up to 138, I got on MFP, with the intention of losing 7 pounds. I did that in 2 months, started maintenance, and continued to lose. I have had a hard time finding the right balance, and now I'm at 120. That is a bit too thin, but I know we'll be doing some travelling over the winter and my weight will go back up. I'd be happy at 125-130, I think.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Pay no attention to that chart on the wall! The original height/weight charts were developed in 1943 by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company and many people still refer to these exact same numbers (or similar). The criteria was that "desirable weights" were those weights at which the lowest number of deaths occurred based on data from the 1930's and 40's. While these numbers still may be desirable weights for some people they never factored in normal weight changes due to aging or ever really defined what frame size meant. And what about body shape? Some people carry weight differently and that is not considered either. There are now many other weight charts out there, but this was the original and a lot of people still go by it.

For myself, as a 5'5" medium-framed woman the ideal weight according to that chart is 127-141. Yes, I did weigh within that range when I was 20-something. At 57, I'm really very happy to be hovering around the 150 mark with an ultimate goal of 145 (still more than the "ideal"). Clothing size means nothing as I can wear anywhere from an 8 to a 12, depending on brand. Strength, stamina, blood pressure, cholesterol and continued good health are my major criteria but of course I still weigh and watch for my goal number on the scale.

I think the best determination for ideal weight is where YOU feel good about YOU. Set some goals and then re-assess when you reach them. When you get to the point where you think "I'm fit, I'm strong, and I look d@mn fine" then that's the right weight for you.

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hmmm "ideal weight".

I do not have one. I did not even have one when I was full flow with a couple of eating disorders. Although after lifting weights previously, I was comfy at around 140lbs at 5 foot 5 (in UK size 8 - 10) and no idea what frame size I was (still have no idea). I am 43 now and although 140 is my goal, I am in no hurry to reach that magical number on the scale. I feel fit and healthy and strong where I am now, but my body fat percentage is still a lot higher than I would like. So, to see how I feel after a bulking/hypertrophy cycle, I am taking 3 months to build as much muscle as I can. And then re-assess the "goal"...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based on what my mom weighs, and I think she looks stunning at that weight. It also feels like something I can maintain reasonably.

With that said, I wouldn't know until I get there. My ideal weight is the weight that I will be able to maintain, keeps me at a healthy or close to healthy state, and I feel reasonably happy with. My ideal weight can be a little bit higher or lower than I'd like, but as long as I can maintain it without bending over backwards and be healthy at it I'll be happy with it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've had lots of ideal weights!
    But I simply chose my favourite adult weight when I decided to lose my excess blubber. Didn't turn out to be optimal so I adjusted downwards in a series of small adjustments over a prolonged period of time.

I've since adjusted back upwards a bit as I gained (regained I suppose?) some muscle. Currently near top of the BMI healthy range. Next year I might come down again if I decide to take my cycling even more seriously.

Long story short - pick a number, reassess after a while based on what's important to you.
  • gita9999
    gita9999 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Muscle makes a big difference
  • ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hey honey, start with a small goal, you know? Pick the higher end to be your "Ultimate" goal, I suppose, but BMI is not applicable for everyone. Start with smaller goals and go from there
  • iluvjesus9023
    iluvjesus9023 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me I want to lose the 100 lbs I gained when I got clean and sober 2 1/2 yrs ago. That's what I'm striving for and to do it naturally. I hope thru having friends thru this app I'll be able to do that. There's no way I'm going back to using drugs to accomplish it cause that's just to easy. No pain no gain!