Is this a well balanced diet?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Regarding your opening post, it's ok to start with that supply, and it's more than ok to add stuff to it in the second and subsequent weeks.

• batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Granny sez: Your severe undereating is far more unhealthy for you than some of the food choices you're rejecting (such as white bread).

This is quintuply true if you truly were eating 5000+ calories a day and only gaining a half pound monthly.

If those stats are true: Your actual TDEE would be 4900+ calories (1/4 of 1/2 pound excess eating weekly x 3500 calories per pound = 438 (rounded) calorie excess calories weekly, divided by 7 days = 63 calorie daily excess, subtract from 5000 eaten daily for a 4937 TDEE). Your deficit (on 1100) would be around 3837 daily (4937 - 1100), and you'd be losing over a pound a day (7.7 a week), which is extremely not healthy unless you weigh over 700 pounds. (I have doubts about the stats, but that's the math, if I'm doing it right . . . not my strong suit, but if I blew it someone better at it will correct me.)

Even if MFP is right and your NEAT (or TDEE) is 2500-2700, eating 1100 is going to have you losing 2.8+ pounds a week. If you currently weigh close to 300, that deficit would be OK, but if you weigh less then eating 1100 is still unhealthier than having a couple of slices of good quality white bread daily.

Seriously.

I totally get your desire to make healthier choices. Please do!

I think you are right because I seem to be losing weight very suddenly now, (3 pounds over the last 3 days). Going to definitely start eating larger proportions, and I am going to get some full fat yogurt because I am getting almost no fat in this diet.

I absolutely don't want to lose it faster than 2 pounds a week. Not only for health reasons, but I don't want to be stuck with loose skin from losing 90 pounds quickly.
    maryannprt wrote: »
    Of course. Maybe I'm overthinking what the OP says, but it sounds like he doesn't want to eat winter squash with butter, so this is another option. Adds a few calories, adds a little fat, which we all need, and adds a food to his rather limited list.

I've actually been cooking my chicken/broccoli/carrots with olive oil. I am not a fan of raw veggies, so I usually cook them.

I'm not against eating squash with butter as long as I maintain my calorie goal, something like that isn't "addictive" to me... so I may get some squash. Right now I am going to bed and I'm still 1000 calories away from my daily goal.. so I definitely need to eat more tomorrow.

It is incredible how much healthy food you can eat and still stay under 1000 calories. What's weird is I am not even hungry most the time. Daily exercise seems to drastically cut my appetite.

I look at one of the things I use to eat 3-4x a day, and it's 1000-1500 calories by itself. Embarrassing.
    This thread is interesting...
    in some ways the OP reminds me of me... well.. the old me..

sitting at 300 pounds, wanting to lose the weight, motivated to do it, positive intentions at heart.

I would get rid of the junk food, all of it, and start from scratch, filling the fridge with fresh fruits and veggies, whole foods.. my motivation would carry me through for a little while.. but life reminds us that while we can make some pretty big changes, its not going to change with us.

you wouldn't believe how many times i wanted to just be that person who could forever just eat the healthiest things ever and be happy with that. In fact i was so convinced i was going to be able to do this, that even the concept of another possibility or outcome seemed impossible, i mean, why would something different happen when i am so determined and committed right now. I am not weak, I can do anything i set my mind to, no one will deter me from my path and goals.

wanna know who deterred me the most? me.
    because even though my desire was to be healthy and only give myself nutritious foods... deep down, i am still me.
    I love chocolate. When i smell someone cooking with a BBQ in the summer, I wanna sit down with a juicy cheese burger and soda and experience that. I wanna see the melted cheese drip off that piece of pizza or lasagna. I wanna pair it up with some garlic bread and pretend i am in Italy.

Wanna know what wears thin after a while.. no personal enjoyment. I mean, yeah, i make some pretty darn tasty meals with the healthy food, nothing is ever bland, i am creative, I own more seasonings from Epicure and clubhouse and hot mamas then one human should own. But in the end.. its not chocolate. Its not a cheeseburger, its not pizza or lasagna..

and ultimately, since i did not leave myself open to the concept that i could lose weight and be just as healthy with these foods in my life, i lost some weight.. but... back on it came, even tho i didn't want it to, i didn't just say "oh well, id rather have pizza and be fat"... it was "God i want this pizza..." and then i eat the pizza and felt guilty, how could i do that to myself? and that just snowballed into me regaining what i lost. It got me back to being an unhealthier diabetic, to waking up every day surprised my blood sugars didn't put me in a coma.

so.. fast forward a bit.. i rejoined MFP.. as i spent time on these forums, just reading.. i never commented, i read a lot of things.. and i changed my approach, because.. it was time for me to be honest with myself.. no matter how many times i start from scratch, i need this start to be a realistic one, and a realistic one was learning how to eat all the foods that i ate too much of and made me fat and unhealthy within my calories.

The results were a 165 pound loss paired with no longer having diabetes. Like at all. I don't even need to check my sugars at all. All my blood work markers come back perfect. I achieved what i call a realistic healthy. It wasn't that same version of healthy i started with, but were my results disappointing? Definitely not.

Only you know you, but sometimes motivation can mask our true weaknesses.
    sometimes the way to a goal comes from walking a different path then the one way on the right or the one way off to the left.

Maintenance isn't any easier then losing. The reason is is that with weight loss you will always have that deficit, that buffer to cushion your fall.. if you mess up, maybe log something incorrectly and notice the error after youve eaten it, you have that cushion to bounce you back.. with maintenance, you have nothing, its either maintain or gain, so you gotta be responsible and more vigilant, if your weight loss plan isn't something that you will be able to stick to once motivation stops carrying you, then your plan will not be carrying you through the years and years of maintenance.

165 pounds, wow good job! I also joined this site to get some motivation. Daily goals help me going, otherwise it just becomes a mindless grind to lose weight and easy to lose motivation.

I am 31 and feel like I either lose this weight soon and get healthy, or it'll be with me until I die. My mom is very overweight, and she has health problems that prevent her from exercising. She uses it as an excuse to not lose weight/diet, and I don't want that to be me.

Time is ticking, and it'd be nice to be in a relationship/married before I get too old. It's really hard to get attention when you are 90 pounds overweight!

• batorkin
    edited October 2017
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Granny sez: Your severe undereating is far more unhealthy for you than some of the food choices you're rejecting (such as white bread).

This is quintuply true if you truly were eating 5000+ calories a day and only gaining a half pound monthly.

If those stats are true: Your actual TDEE would be 4900+ calories (1/4 of 1/2 pound excess eating weekly x 3500 calories per pound = 438 (rounded) calorie excess calories weekly, divided by 7 days = 63 calorie daily excess, subtract from 5000 eaten daily for a 4937 TDEE). Your deficit (on 1100) would be around 3837 daily (4937 - 1100), and you'd be losing over a pound a day (7.7 a week), which is extremely not healthy unless you weigh over 700 pounds. (I have doubts about the stats, but that's the math, if I'm doing it right . . . not my strong suit, but if I blew it someone better at it will correct me.)

Even if MFP is right and your NEAT (or TDEE) is 2500-2700, eating 1100 is going to have you losing 2.8+ pounds a week. If you currently weigh close to 300, that deficit would be OK, but if you weigh less then eating 1100 is still unhealthier than having a couple of slices of good quality white bread daily.

Seriously.

I think you are right because I seem to be losing weight very suddenly now, (3 pounds over the last 3 days). Going to definitely start eating larger proportions, and I am going to get some full fat yogurt because I am getting almost no fat in this diet.
    Of course. Maybe I'm overthinking what the OP says, but it sounds like he doesn't want to eat winter squash with butter, so this is another option. Adds a few calories, adds a little fat, which we all need, and adds a food to his rather limited list.

I've actually been cooking my chicken/broccoli/carrots with olive oil. I am not a fan of raw veggies, so I usually cook them.

I'm not against eating squash with butter as long as I maintain my calorie goal, something like that isn't "addictive" to me... so I may get some squash. Right now I am going to bed and I'm still 1000 calories away from my daily goal.. so I definitely need to eat more tomorrow.

It is incredible how much healthy food you can eat and still stay under 1000 calories. What's weird is I am not even hungry most the time. Daily exercise seems to drastically cut my appetite.

I look at one of the things I use to eat 3-4x a day, and it's 1000-1500 calories by itself. Embarrassing.

Before you edited your post, you mentioned being under in fats and over sugar.
    I would recommend seeing the fat goal as a minimum - if you aren't even eating the minimum, you're depriving your body of essential nutrition. Sugar is not something you need to worry about as your limited food choices will be providing natural sugars. Again, eating too little is less healthy than eating enough by adding calories from other food choices.

1000 calories of food is not much. Stop pretending to yourself that what you're doing is healthy and sufficient.

I must have actually deleted it in the multi-quoting. Yes I am under in fats but right at the goal for sugar.

I don't think I ever pretended that this was healthy, I know it's bad and I am going to fix it. I just started this diet a week ago, joined the site yesterday, and expected my calories intake to be higher. Tomorrow I will eat nearly double what I currently am. I only ate ~1082 calories today, and that's also with 350 calories loss in exercise.

Seriously.

I would recommend seeing the fat goal as a minimum - if you aren't even eating the minimum, you're depriving your body of essential nutrition. Sugar is not something you need to worry about as your limited food choices will be providing natural sugars. Again, eating too little is less healthy than eating enough by adding calories from other food choices.

1000 calories of food is not much. Stop pretending to yourself that what you're doing is healthy and sufficient.

Exactly. You are so hung up on the food you eat being "healthy" but you're ignoring the fact that the amount of calories you're eating is far, far more unhealthy than eating any individual type of food is.

Let's cool out a bit, I know this, which is one of the reasons why I made the thread (and included my concern in the first post). :)

This is a brand new diet and I am making a huge adjustment from eating 5000-6000 calories a day for years. I wasn't going to get it perfectly right off the bat, especially since I wasn't tracking my calories until yesterday.

I will make adjustments until I get use to the new proportion sizes. I will get some higher-fat foods tomorrow at the store. I went too far because I didn't realize how calorie-lacking fresh fruits/veggies are. I fill up on them, and then it's only like 200 calories.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Seriously.

I must have actually deleted it in the multi-quoting. Yes I am under in fats but right at the goal for sugar.

I don't think I ever pretended that this was healthy, I know it's bad and I am going to fix it. I just started this diet a week ago, joined the site yesterday, and expected my calories intake to be higher. Tomorrow I will eat nearly double what I currently am. I only ate ~1082 calories today, and that's also with 350 calories loss in exercise.

do you have a reason to avoid sugar? if not, don't even worry about the sugar - it's not even a macronutrient, just a subset of carbohydrates. you might be better off swapping that nutritional column for fibre.

for today, get some nuts, or peanut butter and eat those. drink a protein shake. better still, make yourself some oats with the protein milk, add fruit and nuts.
  • batorkin
    edited October 2017
    Options

165 pounds, wow good job! I also joined this site to get some motivation. Daily goals help me going, otherwise it just becomes a mindless grind to lose weight and easy to lose motivation.

Then that's exactly what will happen. Loss of motivation is pretty much a given and one of the reasons people fail to lose/maintain weight. You need habits, not motivation. You need to make it a mindless daily thing that just happens for the most part, and the parts that you can't make mindless and automatic need to be mindful where you're aware of your calorie balance when needed. Knowing exactly what to expect will help you decide if you want to lose weight or not, because it's not a "rah rah all the time" kind of thing.

I always complete goals I set for myself, it's probably my strongest trait. Personal goals have been my motivation for my entire life, without them I would honestly just quit my job and give up on everything. I cannot focus on mindless tasks unless I make a "game" or "goal" out of it. Everyone is different.

Sites like this help me set goals, and that's all I really need to stay motivated. I don't think I've ever given up on a goal after setting my mind to it.

Seriously.

do you have a reason to avoid sugar? if not, don't even worry about the sugar - it's not even a macronutrient, just a subset of carbohydrates. you might be better off swapping that nutritional column for fibre.

for today, get some nuts, or peanut butter and eat those. drink a protein shake. better still, make yourself some oats with the protein milk, add fruit and nuts.

Nah no reason to avoid sugar, switching for fiber is probably a good idea.
  • batorkin
    Options
    Since i am also 31, i understand the mindset you have, everyone around you has met someone, they have their own families, and you still feel like this big boulder (weight) is in the way.

Lose your weight, get healthy, love life.. but girls aren't anymore whack-a-doodle then the ones attracted to you already lol
    I thought that i would have a better selection once my weight was gone... *BUZZER SOUNDS*
    In the end, people can be more attracted to each other physically, but their personality can still be terrible.
    All the people who i get checked out by now are people i would have to spray with Lysol before standing too close lol

I think it might be harder for guys. From what I've seen overweight women can still pick up guys decently. Just last week my (very fit) friend took a girl home that was easily double his weight.

I've never seen it in reverse though. I genuinely have not had a female interested in me since high school (15 years ago). I have been "friendzoned" 100 times over. My guy friend who is a little bigger than me, has never had any female interest despite being a very nice guy that has no problems talking to girls. They basically just treat him as their bodyguard while they pick up hotter guys.

Being a fat guy is rough in the dating department. :/
  • batorkin
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Confidence is probably the reason there.. cause i can tell you some horror stories of my life as a 300 pound girl that definitely don't involve nice looking guys taking me home. Dating is hard for any person at any size.

Yes, I definitely lack confidence. I was confident when I was young and fit 15 years ago, so hopefully losing some weight will allow me to regain some of that.
  • batorkin
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Since i am also 31, i understand the mindset you have, everyone around you has met someone, they have their own families, and you still feel like this big boulder (weight) is in the way.

Lose your weight, get healthy, love life.. but girls aren't anymore whack-a-doodle then the ones attracted to you already lol
    I thought that i would have a better selection once my weight was gone... *BUZZER SOUNDS*
    In the end, people can be more attracted to each other physically, but their personality can still be terrible.
    All the people who i get checked out by now are people i would have to spray with Lysol before standing too close lol

I think it might be harder for guys. From what I've seen overweight women can still pick up guys decently. Just last week my (very fit) friend took a girl home that was easily double his weight.

I've never seen it in reverse though. I genuinely have not had a female interested in me since high school (15 years ago). I have been "friendzoned" 100 times over. My guy friend who is a little bigger than me, has never had any female interest despite being a very nice guy that has no problems talking to girls. They basically just treat him as their bodyguard while they pick up hotter guys.

Being a fat guy is rough in the dating department. :/

My advice - scrub the word, and concept of "friendzone" from your vocabulary and mind. It doesn't exist. It is a concept invented by entitled guys who think that a woman is obliged to sleep with them because they're nice to her.

I think of the word in a relationship sense, not a "one night stand" or "friends with benefits" sense. When you ask a girl on a date, and she says "no you're just a friend", that's what I think of being "friendzoned". Sex wasn't even in the cards, but she's still not willing to let you take her out on a date.