People with anxiety disorders?

Options
13»

Replies

• MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For me, cognitive behavioral therapy was so helpful. I started exercising about a month after I started seeing my therapist, as well, but I don't feel it helps me that much personally.

The biggest thing, though, was probably nailing the dose on my hypothyroid meds. Anxiety is one of the lesser known symptoms, along with depression. At one point, I was swinging between those two so wildly that I had a doctor want to diagnose me with Bipolar Disorder (not for no reason either - he put me on SSRIs and I had a full-blown manic episode. Very scary). I had no idea that thyroid disorders and BPD could display so similarly but my current doctor says it's sadly pretty common and often overlooked. When I found the right dose for me it, combined with the therapy, honestly saved my life. I went from having panic attacks every day to maybe once a month, and I can even take the train to work again (one of my biggest triggers). I honestly thought I would never be able to function "normally" again, and it took a long, long time to get there (or TBH, close to there). So, I guess my point is, keep trying until you find what works for you. Anxiety is a very complicated thing and there's no one answer, but I hope you can find one that works for you. :)

Also, everyone in the world should get their thyroid tested. /hands you a pamphlet/

Good luck! <3
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of medication and therapy. I suffer from major depression and anxiety with obsessive tendencies. The combination has been very helpful to me since I started both, a little over a year ago. I go to therapy twice a month.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Am I the odd one out? Working out at too high of an intensity gives me anxiety. I can't think about "working out" or I get major anxiety. I just walk a lot and play sports. I don't think about exercising while doing them.

No, you're not the only one. Increased heart rate, sweating, etc. are similar to a panic attack to me. I had a good one while out walking and didn't walk again for a long time. I didn't want to have another attack away from home. Eventually I started with 10 minutes and worked my way back up. I am pretty good at differentiating now. It just took slow exposure. Very slow.

Classes trigger it for me except yoga where I'm forced to focus on my breathing etc. yoga helps. I also find the gym helps if I don't go with some one I need to be allowed to concentrate on my body so that I can tell between panic anxiety and elevate pulse from working out. I am also on meds.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a good workout every day keeps the anxiety levels down.