no menstrual cycle--help

Options
Hi everyone!!!This was my training schedule I weight train heavy 4x a week, and I did 2.5 hours a week of Hit cardio and 1 hr of steady state...I lost 12 pounds and I couldn't get lower then 133, but my bf% kept dropping ..i was eating 1850 calories a day and I was really happy with the way I looked...Then I missed my first period, didn't think anything of it because it happens...then I missed it the following month and I started getting depressed, unmotivate...i started feeling weaker. The following month the week before I was supposed to get my period i became very bloated and my muscles started to look like they were turning to mush, and my period never came...I went to my Dr and of course she said I was fine just lessen up exercise...i went to another Dr. and he did a swipe saliva test and said my estrogen level was low and cortisol was high. I was advised to stop exercising and gain around 10 :( and just relax until my period returns...so I gained the weight and stopped exercising...So i gained the weight and i feel GROSS so i decided to start trackibg myself again...so i started eating the same 1850 calories i was eating when i worked out and im currently maintaining...my question is when I go back to the gym I'd like to lose this weight I have put on, of course I won't be doing all that Hit cardio anymore and I will go lighter with my weight training at first, do u think I can get back to where I was eating the same 1850 calories or will I have to lower my calories...looking forward to hearing from you

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What happened when you gained the 10lbs back. Did your period come back?
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting but I feel it coming
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to stick to what your doctor is telling you then. Try to keep your calories as high as you can (remember the person who eats the most and loses wins!) and take it easy on the exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I went back through your other threads and was going to comment.. but OP you should continue to follow your doctors recommendation and advice.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Follow your doctor's advice. Track, but eat at maintenance, make sure you're eating a decent amount of carbs (leptin is carb sensitive, and you want to get your leptin up and staying up, that in turn will help lower cortisol), cut out the high intensity cardio for the time being (because that will raise cortisol).

^This.

BTW, is 1850 maintenance for you for real? What are your stats?

• zfitgal
    Options
    Follow your doctor's advice. Track, but eat at maintenance, make sure you're eating a decent amount of carbs (leptin is carb sensitive, and you want to get your leptin up and staying up, that in turn will help lower cortisol), cut out the high intensity cardio for the time being (because that will raise cortisol).

^This.

I'm not exercising now or moving much... I am 5"5 148lbs and I'd say I'm lightly active, no exercise now
  • zfitgal
    Options

^This.

Another vote for this. Follow your doc, primarily. But also remember that when you get back to working out, you actually need to fuel that workout -- and fuel it consistently.

Copying and pasting what I've said elsewhere here about amenorrhea. It's not a function of weight as much as it is energy availability. Basically, you need to make sure that you're getting adequate nutrition to meet your needs. That either means adding more calories or reducing your exercise, *or* making sure that your calories are fitting the exercise.

And, it can take time to restore. I've been without a true period for more than a year now.

Lots of math and science ahead...

Energy availability has a lot to do with menstrual regularity. Some research says you need at least 30 calories per kg of your lean mass -- other puts it closer to 45 cal per kg. If you're not getting that, then you can run into problems. So even if you think you're at maintenance, if you're not actually matching what you burn, (and in some cases, exceeding it) you aren't giving your body what you need. The general formula is to subtract your workout calories from your total intake, and then divide that number by your lean body mass in kg. Under 30? Well, if you care about menstrual and bone health, it's time to up your calories.

I'll use me as an example. Right now, my calorie intake hovers around 1445 calories (or, rather, it did when I last made this post). My average daily workout burn is 256 calories (I use my Apple Watch to track everything, so I trust this number) -- some days it's more, some days it's less. So that leaves me with 1189/42.27 kg of lean body mass. That's 28 cal per kg.

When I'm not ill and actually able to get out and train like I like, it looks more like this:
    Ballpark of 1445 calories
    Average workout burn:342 calories
    1103/41.59 =26.09 cal per kg

When you consider that that's what my routine looks like more, and that that calorie bump is pretty recent for me (I used to be between 1300 and 1400 calories -- so even at the higher end, an EA of 25 cal per kg) it's no wonder I don't get a true period and haven't for a year.

This article may be of interest to you. The subjects weren't underweight, either, and weren't low body fat -- but in those who didn't eat as much, there were cyclical issuses: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24888644

This link, with the formula and stats, may also give you something to think about: https://www.iaaf.org/download/download?filename=0f8d15a6-1cd0-4238-bbac-e05afe2eccf2.pdf&urlslug=Chapter 6: Nutrition

how did u find out your lean body mass number to divide it? I fed. was under eating for the amount and intensity I was doing...i never want this to happen to me again..
    but I love exercising and love what I did...i definitely Don't have the energy to go back to doing what I was...but I do want to lose this weight I put on in a propped manner. I didn't even realize there was an issue with my exercise and "under fueling".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »

^This.

I'm not exercising now or moving much... I am 5"5 148lbs and I'd say I'm lightly active, no exercise now

Does MFP put you at 1850 for maintenance?

One of the important things in restoring all of your hormones is to make sure you're eating at true maintenance and you look young. that 1850 just seems a bit low. It caught my attention that you lost your period after you stopped losing weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 10lbs heavier than you. My SEDENTARY maintenance is about 1800, that 10lbs isn't going to make a dramatic difference, maybe 50 calories. So you were way underfuelling. My maintenance with not crazy exercise, lifting and cardio intervals 4-6 times per week for not more than say 50 minutes mostly and not many incidental steps or activity outside of that is 2200 at least.

You need to slowly increase calories once you return to exercise tracking the trend over a few months to find your actual maintenance. Only then should even consider returning to a deficit.

This of course is just my opinion and you should work with your doctor but you need to be taking every measure you can to restore your health fully.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    so I was definitely under fueling for my exercises I was doing...right now MFP says I should be eating 1930 to maintain (without exercise). Wow, I always thought eating 2000 calories would be crazy! You Don t think I can go back into a slight defecit when returning? I feel gross!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    so I was definitely under fueling for my exercises I was doing...right now MFP says I should be eating 1930 to maintain (without exercise). Wow, I always thought eating 2000 calories would be crazy! You Don t think I can go back into a slight defecit when returning? I feel gross!

Not until your cycle returns and normalises (ie give it several months).
  • zfitgal
    Options

Well, you need to take a measured approach here. You need to fix the damage you've done. Once you've fixed that damage, you can worry about taking off the weight.

You need a good period of refeeding with high carbs and lower fat and a good ratio of protein to accomplish what you need doing here. At least two weeks if not a month or more.

There are reasons for that macro ratio that have to do with body composition that I learned from Lyle McDonald, but they are escaping me right now.

Honestly I don't think this is a refeed situation, this is an eating at maintenance with a normal macro split to reverse AT and let the body fully recover. Two weeks or even a month just isn't going to cut it at this stage.

When you return to exercise I am in agreeance you need to continue to eat at maintenance for a period. If I recall correctly (and i may be wrong and this is just coincidence) but this has been a problem for a while. Which also means you've been chronically underfuelling for a while. Our bodies don't generally make sudden stops to bodily functions because of a few weeks of too few calories.

Work with your doctor, let them know your thoughts about your body mentally and start increasing calories. Like I said, incrementally would be the best approach, 100 calories per day for a week then again the next week until you hold steady. This is known as reverse dieting.

Its been 4 months since no period...I started to experience over training symptoms 2 months ago and since then I just couldnt get back into the gym. Im not looking to go into a bulk...Yes I do agree that I should eat at maintenance for a bit, Maybe 8 weeks from the time I get my period for another 2 months just to make sure my cycle in on track...You guys have been very helpful...Do you guys think I should do cardio when returning or just weight training and yoga until Im ready to cut? I really dont have anyone whos guiding me or to talk to so I really appreciate all your guidance..
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited October 2017
    Options

Well, you need to take a measured approach here. You need to fix the damage you've done. Once you've fixed that damage, you can worry about taking off the weight.

You need a good period of refeeding with high carbs and lower fat and a good ratio of protein to accomplish what you need doing here. At least two weeks if not a month or more.

There are reasons for that macro ratio that have to do with body composition that I learned from Lyle McDonald, but they are escaping me right now.

Honestly I don't think this is a refeed situation, this is an eating at maintenance with a normal macro split to reverse AT and let the body fully recover. Two weeks or even a month just isn't going to cut it at this stage.

When you return to exercise I am in agreeance you need to continue to eat at maintenance for a period. If I recall correctly (and i may be wrong and this is just coincidence) but this has been a problem for a while. Which also means you've been chronically underfuelling for a while. Our bodies don't generally make sudden stops to bodily functions because of a few weeks of too few calories.

Work with your doctor, let them know your thoughts about your body mentally and start increasing calories. Like I said, incrementally would be the best approach, 100 calories per day for a week then again the next week until you hold steady. This is known as reverse dieting.

Yeah, I'm up past my bed time and not using proper terms. I worded that poorly. This is definitely maintenance eating. I took a quick look at OP's diary, and can't remember her carbs right now. If they're not adequate, I'd suggest she get them to at least a decent range for good thyroid recovery.

ETA: Just looked. OP. You've been eating UNDER the 1850. You're fat intake is abysmal. You really need to up that to at least 55-60 grams a day if not 70. That is a HUGE problem.