no menstrual cycle--help

Options

Replies

• Cyprus_Girl84
    Cyprus_Girl84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    have you been under a lot of stress or unusual stress over the past 4 months?

I'm not looking for an alternative explanation, but I am wondering if maybe more than one factor is contributing.

• zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    maryannprt wrote: »
    zfitgal wrote: »
    so I was definitely under fueling for my exercises I was doing...right now MFP says I should be eating 1930 to maintain (without exercise). Wow, I always thought eating 2000 calories would be crazy! You Don t think I can go back into a slight defecit when returning? I feel gross!

You've said repeatedly you feel "gross". Maybe talk to your doctor about the potentially unrealistic view you have of your body and how it functions. Don't do anything until you do. So, so many reasons women need to have a little more fat than men with long term ramifications for your health.

I feel gross because I havent exercised in over a month and I have put on a little over 10 pounds...I was always around 127-135 and never lost my period, yes I have trained much harder then I ever had and more intense, but I was always lean and I just want to maintain my lean body...If not exercising the way I was before is going to allow me to be lean and have my period then thats something I will definitely do...but that is the reason I feel gross.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    so I was definitely under fueling for my exercises I was doing...right now MFP says I should be eating 1930 to maintain (without exercise). Wow, I always thought eating 2000 calories would be crazy! You Don t think I can go back into a slight defecit when returning? I feel gross!

Well, you need to take a measured approach here. You need to fix the damage you've done. Once you've fixed that damage, you can worry about taking off the weight.

You need a good period of refeeding with high carbs and lower fat and a good ratio of protein to accomplish what you need doing here. At least two weeks if not a month or more.

There are reasons for that macro ratio that have to do with body composition that I learned from Lyle McDonald, but they are escaping me right now.

Honestly I don't think this is a refeed situation, this is an eating at maintenance with a normal macro split to reverse AT and let the body fully recover. Two weeks or even a month just isn't going to cut it at this stage.

When you return to exercise I am in agreeance you need to continue to eat at maintenance for a period. If I recall correctly (and i may be wrong and this is just coincidence) but this has been a problem for a while. Which also means you've been chronically underfuelling for a while. Our bodies don't generally make sudden stops to bodily functions because of a few weeks of too few calories.

Work with your doctor, let them know your thoughts about your body mentally and start increasing calories. Like I said, incrementally would be the best approach, 100 calories per day for a week then again the next week until you hold steady. This is known as reverse dieting.

Its been 4 months since no period...I started to experience over training symptoms 2 months ago and since then I just couldnt get back into the gym. Im not looking to go into a bulk...Yes I do agree that I should eat at maintenance for a bit, Maybe 8 weeks from the time I get my period for another 2 months just to make sure my cycle in on track...You guys have been very helpful...Do you guys think I should do cardio when returning or just weight training and yoga until Im ready to cut? I really dont have anyone whos guiding me or to talk to so I really appreciate all your guidance..

If you want to do cardio for stress relief or some extra calories to eat (and make sure you eat them), just do some light walking. You don't want to do anything where you're going to be getting yourself in trouble with cortisol again, and your weight training is enough training load.
  • zfitgal
    Options

I'm not looking for an alternative explanation, but I am wondering if maybe more than one factor is contributing.

Im a single mom, and the dating scene just depresses me..Sometime I feel Ill always be alone and never meet some1 and that definitely puts stress on me... But i do feel my stress level has increased because of that in the past few months...I went to all these single events and each one was worse then the next one....So that could have subconsciously added stress to me... All I want is to get back to where I was, I worked so hard to create the look that I wanted. It was the only thing in my life that I had for me and now its gone...Im crying writing this...
  • Cyprus_Girl84
    Options

Im a single mom, and the dating scene just depresses me..Sometime I feel Ill always be alone and never meet some1 and that definitely puts stress on me... But i do feel my stress level has increased because of that in the past few months...I went to all these single events and each one was worse then the next one....So that could have subconsciously added stress to me... All I want is to get back to where I was, I worked so hard to create the look that I wanted. It was the only thing in my life that I had for me and now its gone...Im crying writing this...

ohh, sweet love. I'm going to PM you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I would think some cardio would be okay, maybe 3 times a week 20 minutes. Or even just walking. I think it would definitely be prudent to ease back into it.
  • zfitgal
    Options

Well, you need to take a measured approach here. You need to fix the damage you've done. Once you've fixed that damage, you can worry about taking off the weight.

You need a good period of refeeding with high carbs and lower fat and a good ratio of protein to accomplish what you need doing here. At least two weeks if not a month or more.

There are reasons for that macro ratio that have to do with body composition that I learned from Lyle McDonald, but they are escaping me right now.

Honestly I don't think this is a refeed situation, this is an eating at maintenance with a normal macro split to reverse AT and let the body fully recover. Two weeks or even a month just isn't going to cut it at this stage.

When you return to exercise I am in agreeance you need to continue to eat at maintenance for a period. If I recall correctly (and i may be wrong and this is just coincidence) but this has been a problem for a while. Which also means you've been chronically underfuelling for a while. Our bodies don't generally make sudden stops to bodily functions because of a few weeks of too few calories.

Work with your doctor, let them know your thoughts about your body mentally and start increasing calories. Like I said, incrementally would be the best approach, 100 calories per day for a week then again the next week until you hold steady. This is known as reverse dieting.

Its been 4 months since no period...I started to experience over training symptoms 2 months ago and since then I just couldnt get back into the gym. Im not looking to go into a bulk...Yes I do agree that I should eat at maintenance for a bit, Maybe 8 weeks from the time I get my period for another 2 months just to make sure my cycle in on track...You guys have been very helpful...Do you guys think I should do cardio when returning or just weight training and yoga until Im ready to cut? I really dont have anyone whos guiding me or to talk to so I really appreciate all your guidance..

If you want to do cardio for stress relief or some extra calories to eat (and make sure you eat them), just do some light walking. You don't want to do anything where you're going to be getting yourself in trouble with cortisol again, and your weight training is enough training load.

So im going to not do any cardio at this point, Ill start using it when I want to create a defecit...So when I do start my deficit the cardio I do shouldnt be very intense? Because I was doing alot of HIIT, because I thought thats what would burn the most fat...
  • Cyprus_Girl84
    Options

the look that I wanted. It was the only thing in my life that I had for me

my sweet love, this is where the healing will start. I PMed you. Here for you, girl.

• VintageFeline
    Options
    Fat loss is achieved through a calorie deficit, training style doesn't affect it really. HIIT, even the not really HIIT but we call it that anyway bodyweight intervals should only be done a couple of times a week as it does stress the body. It's all just been a storm of doing yourself and your body a great disservice.

As for self talk, some think it's all airy fairy but try not speak to yourself any differently than you would to your child or yourself. be kinder. It's hard but it will help.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I would think some cardio would be okay, maybe 3 times a week 20 minutes. Or even just walking. I think it would definitely be prudent to ease back into it.

With the caveat that she's absolutely got to be fueling that cardio -- not using the cardio to create or enhance a deficit.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options

You've said repeatedly you feel "gross". Maybe talk to your doctor about the potentially unrealistic view you have of your body and how it functions. Don't do anything until you do. So, so many reasons women need to have a little more fat than men with long term ramifications for your health.

I feel gross because I havent exercised in over a month and I have put on a little over 10 pounds...I was always around 127-135 and never lost my period, yes I have trained much harder then I ever had and more intense, but I was always lean and I just want to maintain my lean body...If not exercising the way I was before is going to allow me to be lean and have my period then thats something I will definitely do...but that is the reason I feel gross.

You say you feel gross and you're trying to get people on this thread to tell you to ignore your doctor's directions. I think we all understand WHY you feel gross. You're used to looking and feeling a certain way, and now you don't. I'm saying that may not be a healthy thing for you to be concentrating on. Your periods don't stop for no good reason, and those reasons can have long term consequences for your health. Talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. I'm sorry if you took my comment in a negative or dismissive way, because that was not my intention. I want you to be healthy AND fit, AND maintain your fertility and long term health. Maybe your doctor can refer you to a team who has experience in working with women in your situation. Good luck.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

With the caveat that she's absolutely got to be fueling that cardio -- not using the cardio to create or enhance a deficit.

Absolutely in the mid term. Once health is back on track a small deficit in combination with moderate cardio would likely not be an issue. But priority is sorting out everything else.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Another thought. Once properly fuelled and health on the way to being restored, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your mood lifts a bit. Jacked up hormones can really do a number physically and mentally. Just think of PMS, no fun at all.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    OP is not in an unusual situation. I don't think she wants us to tell her to ignore her dr. I think she wants to be heard and understood.

Those of us who have been through it recognize exercise bulimia and body dysmorphia when we see it in others. OP needs special TLC right now. If we are asking OP to be gentler to herself - in her mind and to her body - we must exemplify the gentleness and lack of judgment that we are suggesting to OP.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that people aren't acting in this way.

I'm working toward ED recovery. It *sucks*. But what also sucks is the fact that right now, because of the abuse I've given my body, I haven't been able to run in weeks, and I'm facing losing $100+ for races that I'm likely not going to be able to run this month.

One can be sympathetic and matter of fact at the same time. I don't understand why you think that people aren't being gentle and sympathetic with her.
  • Cyprus_Girl84
    Options
    I think everyone's intentions are good; I think everyone's hearts are in the right places.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

You feel gross? Imagine how you will feel if you lost your hair, nails are Brittle, bone loss and easy to Break, and a sunken face. Not to mention simply feeling fatigued, dizzy, and weak.This is what will happen if you Keep pushing your body and don't allow it enough time to recover. 8 weeks after you get your period is not enough, you need to go over all of what you said and feel with your doctor. I'm not trying to scare you, but this is something you need to have a lot of patience for. It will do you a lot of good in the long run. I wish you the best of luck and good health.
  • zfitgal
    Options

You say you feel gross and you're trying to get people on this thread to tell you to ignore your doctor's directions. I think we all understand WHY you feel gross. You're used to looking and feeling a certain way, and now you don't. I'm saying that may not be a healthy thing for you to be concentrating on. Your periods don't stop for no good reason, and those reasons can have long term consequences for your health. Talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. I'm sorry if you took my comment in a negative or dismissive way, because that was not my intention. I want you to be healthy AND fit, AND maintain your fertility and long term health. Maybe your doctor can refer you to a team who has experience in working with women in your situation. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! :)
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're working your body too hard and not eating enough micros and calories to sustain it. Follow doctors orders, that's why you went to the doctors to find out what's wrong and he instructed what to do. You can watch your calories after you gained the weight back but just try to stay around the weight you are now which I'm assuming is 143 because you were 133 but had to gain 10 pounds.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    To me it also sounds like you have unhealthy unrealistic goals for your body that is putting a strain on your health. Maybe see a doctor for that. It sounds like Body dysmorphia.