What is YOUR Holiday eating strategy?

With Halloween, Thanksgiving, and winter celebrations coming up, what is your strategy when it comes to holiday eating?

Have you used a strategy before and been happy with it after?
Trying something new this year?
Do you log everything still or neglect logging at all?

I'm very interested in these answers because I haven't figured out my plan yet!

Replies

• acfisher88
    acfisher88 Posts: 58 Member
    I'll try and eat maintenance; maybe get the family to join me for a walk before dinner so I can get some extra calories in ;)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited October 2017
    On top of those occasions I also have 5 birthdays in my family including mine between now and New Year's. This is my first year calorie counting and I'm still a little ways from my goal. I keep going back and forth about how to handle the food. For me, it's not so much the crazy eating on a few days; it's the constant availability of sweet treats which has always been my weakness.

I think I'd be happy with maintaining for the next couple of months. If I lose a little that would be great, but I won't be disappointed if I don't. I will log what I eat except on TG and my birthday. Christmas isn't a big eating day for us. It's pretty normal.

For my birthday I've already told everyone all I want is the best apple pie in all of Athens, GA. I have no idea where it's going to come from, but I plan to eat every bit of it, so I'll probably go over on those days. I can almost taste it now.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I've admitted defeat, and at 47 I'm living by my mom's adage: "It’s not what you eat between Christmas and New Years, it’s what you eat between New Year’s and Christmas".

I don't celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving.

I do log my intake, because I plan my meals and don't delete the plan as I eat.

I love this!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Thanksgiving day and Christmas day are two days I do not worry about tracking calories. I go to a couple of Christmas parties, these are usually lunches or at night and only one meal. I don't worry about thateither.

All of this falls inline with how to be flexible when social events and holiday arise. Its just a few days.

I don't do a whole lot of celebrating for Halloween, I eat some candy sure, I log it.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I'm trying a different way this year. The past year was awful, stress, mourning, too much to handle at once and I allowed myself to regain 12lbs. I do not want to use the excuse of celebration and festivities to add to that number. I also have an injury inhibiting my usual level of fitness. I will eat at a deficit, doesn't matter the food choices, if it's something dense in calories and I get just a taste or one spoonful etc, so be it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Halloween isn't big here, and we don't have thanksgiving. Christmas is usually small, and being in Australia (and the summer heat), eating light but delicious food is easy. Lots of seafood, plus turkey and salads. Dessert is my biggest splurge! I usually skip breakfast, and we have late lunch that ends up being dinner too...