What is YOUR Holiday eating strategy?

Options

Replies

• olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm on a logging streak so I will log every day, though maybe not completely!

I feel confident I can handle Halloween since my kids are out of the house.

I feel somewhat confident I can do Thanksgiving and keep the next day reasonable.

Christmas isn't one day to me. It's about 10 days of fun. I think I will be a disaster? The 23rd-27th are big deals in our house.

23rd: Christmas eve eve, my favorite day of the year, always have friends over
    24th: Christmas eve, big dinner, big fun!
    25th: Christmas, day of fun and food
    26th: My daughter's birthday, let the party continue!
    27th: Jammie day, do whatever you want day

I'm hoping to make up for the (wine) calories by burning more. Last year on Christmas we all went on a nice hike together. I'm thinking that should be our new tradition. Get outside for a couple hours all together, burn some cals, and enjoy being with one another.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i try so hard week in week out, i refuse to think about calories over xmas, those scales will still be there to help me , for one week only i will have a bit extra. Pigging out no but logging will be a no, my choice .
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't do Halloween so that's out anyway but I set my goals at maintenance levels from Nov. 20 to January 3. In addition, if it is my party, everything, including desserts are made with low calorie recipes. I happen to love to cook and bake and test recipes, including sweets through the year. Pull from that experience for parties. If I am attending a home party, I offer to bring something, which I do in a low cal and/or low carb option. That way I can eat it. If it is a restaurant event, I make sure I know what is on their menu (usually found online) and plan according to the choice I will make. If I truly don't know what food options I will have, I wing it based on the common sense of my experiences on counting to date...BUT, I log everything. Easy to get out of control and off track and gain a lot in just 5-6weeks of time.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Halloween is also a non issue. I will just avoid the candy and go for some kettle corn (ACT II is awesome)
    Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll get up early and do a long run and then likely eat those exercise calories back. I'll log my food as normal since I'm on a great streak. Maybe at the end of the day I'll go on a walk with friends/family so everyone can at least feel like they are working it off.
  • oliviagodsey113
    oliviagodsey113 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As far as Halloween, I always buy the candy for trick or treaters that I don't want to eat to eliminate as much temptation as I can.
    For the other holidays, I usually volunteer to bring a dish or two that I know is good/better for me and by eating that along with whatever is served I don't usually get the 'i shouldn't have ate all of that' guilt as bad as I usually do. I also try to do really well on the days leading up to holiday eating and after in order to make up for the splurging.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, Christmas, Christmas eve, maybe New Years eve... I'll just Quick Add ~4000 calories and eat all the things. I didn't get fat from over-eating only 4 days per year.
  • himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are entire cheat days for me and I do not log. Next day I get back on track. :) Two days of splurging ain't gonna break any progress I've made.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try to do a 5k on Thanksgiving morning. And then, probably not log and just try not to over-
    stuff myself.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My strategy:
    Distract bacon loving BIL with beer.
    Eat all the bacon wrapped things while he is inattentive.
    Eat lots of s’mores.
    That’s pretty much it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try to do a 5k on Thanksgiving morning. And then, probably not log and just try not to over-
    stuff myself.

My wife and I have done a Turkey Trot every Thanksgiving for the past 5 years...it's become a fun tradition.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like to bring my favorite treat (that I know the cals and can log too!) and I'll mostly eat that and have a tiny portion of other treats. My favorite to bring to holidays are merengue cookies, they're really low cal each!
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just plan on pouting in the corner. Lol
  • wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on the day of (e.g. Christmas) without logging. I do try to get some decent exercise in like a long walk but that's just what I do anyway. Then I try to get right back into a regular logging routine straightaway.

As for events like meals out or hot chocolates with friends or Christmas markets, I just enjoy them and make sure I'm on track on the days in between. Seems to be work for me.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just eat whatever (no logging). Thanksgiving is usually turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, misc other veggies, rolls, pie. *Try* to eat sensibly I suppose.

Christmas is usually chili, meat/cheese trays, veggie trays, some holiday type desserts (fudge, chocolate, cookies) again probably just *try* to eat sensibly.

When I first lost weight a few years back, my first Thanksgiving on a 'diet' I was miserable. Would not eat much, didn't even let myself have a piece of pie even though my mom got pecan just for me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I try and log but usually end up giving up on Xmas day and Boxing day. We do not have Thanksgiving here (thank goodness) and I don't really do Halloween other than having some of the funsize chocolate bars/bags.

Christmas is the main one for me as I am totally out of my usual environment and I don't think my mum would be impressed if I took my Greek yoghurt, fruit and usual foods along with me and declined all the stuff she stocks up on to make sure we have a good few days. There is always a load of mince pies, Xmas cake, stollen and chocolates left over anyway which I try and leave for my brother to take home. I eat what I want Xmas lunch, ensuring to pile on the veggies and turkey. I tend to not want much later on that day and usually it is a cold buffet of things like pickled beetroot,smoked salmon, quiche, cucumber, tomato, cheeses, potato salad and that sort of thing that we just take when we feel like it.

I try and get back to working out on the 27th and ensure I get some good workouts in the days before. My main issue really is getting back on track as I often find I am continuing to eat the sweet stuff until just after New Year. We shall see. Unless I gain a load of weight before December, I should be okay as I am at the very very bottom of BMI for my height anyway.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    First year at this...
    Halloween- Not worried. My kids always have some junk treat in the house and my will power is Ok!
    Thanksgiving- I plan on rearranging my week so that thanksgiving is my cheat day. I'll still make mindful choice and log my food. But definitely enjoying some sweets!
    Christmas- same as thanksgiving. This will be my biggest challenge. I bake hundreds of cookies around Christmas, to give away and serve at our parties. There will be treats available every day. I am going to try to work a small treat into my calorie allowance every day in the two weeks leading to Christmas.
    I'll make sure not to skip the gym during the holiday rush. And will probably add an extra day of cardio or lengthen my cardio time. I plan on eating super clean (zero cheat meals) leading up to and after the holidays.
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Increase the cardio sessions to 2 times a day to try and mitigate the inevitable weight gain.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k on Thanksgiving morning to give me a cushion, but other than that, not grazing all day, and being diligent in working out the rest of the time, I won't deprive myself.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This is my first holiday season since I've been on MFP. I'm thinking I'll have a smaller dinner Halloween night so I can work some chocolate into my calorie goal. Thanksgiving I'll be eating at maintenance and not taking home any food. Christmas will fall on the first days of a 2 week long diet break so I'll be eating at maintenance as well.