Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Overweight kids

124»

Replies

• ohhapidays
    ohhapidays Posts: 18 Member
    My son was overweight most of his life. His sister ate everything in sight and did not gain a pound. It was hard years. These are my views hun so use only if you want to. My son went to a place where more to love children went. They teached him how to read labels and good and bad foods so to speak. Its no good saying that is bad for you, you need to explain that certain food your daughter likes are not very good for her health. My son was mad on crisps, we did not take them away we gave a lot less. I bought less. We bought a mickey mouse from disney and in the UK took pictures of him at different places. Where is micky this week pictures. They saw micky we saw getting out and active. I bought healthy cook books and ask the children cook for me once a week. They cooked for them selfs too with my help, they always ate their own food haha maybe it was my cooking. I went shopping and played I will be the child you the parent and buy me healthy food. I acted like a child and put sweets etc in the trolly, they took them out. I also moaned and walked off just like they did haha, we did not play this game a lot as they did not like it. We talked a lot about how food was about being healthy not about how food made you fat. I worried that if I took away everything as young children they wood crave as adults and become obeses in later years. I think I got the balance right. They are good adults thou my son will always gain pounds just looking at a bun. He is six foot four now and solid more than fat. Me their mum well I need to practice what I preech as my lifestyle is out of control lol so here I am for help on this site.
  • 90Ibs
    90Ibs Posts: 22 Member
    First go to your pediatrician, at the very least to rule out problems like thyroid issues, hormone imbalances, etc.
    If they check out as otherwise healthy, talk to the pediatrician about whether the weight is a problem, since children do need to have more weight on them to grow properly.
    If the weight is a problem, cut back on sugary and high calorie foods, and introduce healthy foods and snacks. Do NOT tell the child that they're overweight, or that they need to go on a diet. The vast majority of people with eating disorders will tell you they experienced family or friends commenting on their weight at a young age, which lead to a fixation on the topic.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    ohhapidays wrote: »
    I went shopping and played I will be the child you the parent and buy me healthy food. I acted like a child and put sweets etc in the trolly, they took them out. I also moaned and walked off just like they did haha, we did not play this game a lot as they did not like it.

This is so good! I want to try this - I wonder if my kids would go for it!! I don't know if they'd put the sweets back...

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Teach your kids (and learn yourself) about nutrition. Plan meals, shop and cook together.set them up for a lifetime of good habits.