Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't personally drink the poptarts-all-day kool-aid (nor do I believe anyone enjoying any long term success does) Food IS our fuel, it's literally the only way our bodies receive the vitamins and minerals and macros they need to fight disease and thrive. I can't think of a single credible person on this site that would disagree that cake < broccoli in terms of HEALTH, but common sense would have us all strike a balance that allows us the freedom to include foods we love to eat because they taste good, with foods we love to eat because they have health benefits. You don't have to be one way or the other. Persons on either side of this argument are equally obnoxious and I personally like to hang out in the calories have context middle ground.

A diet of nothing but broccoli could possibly more detrimental to your health than a diet of nothing but cake.
    In terms of HEALTH, context of the entire diet is important, no single food item.

I guess I gave too much credit by assuming the readers had the common sense to deduce that I wasn't referring to a sole diet of either or but thanks for pointing that out *eyeroll*

To be fair, I often see people here using the example of a single food diet when trying to make a point, so I wouldn't automatically assume that someone wasn't referring to a single food diet when saying that cake is worse than broccoli.

If you're talking about two different diets that include all kinds of foods, I'm not sure that the statement that cake is worse than broccoli holds up. If you're not talking about a monodiet, you're basically saying "a diet that includes cake is worse than a diet that includes broccoli," right? But how can we know that? If we're talking about an overall style of eating and not a monodiet, there's so much context we don't know. How many calories are involved? What other foods are involved? Are nutrient needs being met overall?

I track my micros and include all foods. I am active enough to eat 1800-2K and lose weight if I need to but if you're sedentary and eating a poverty macro diet of 1200 calories it's damn near impossible to hit micros if you're including nutritionally questionable foods tbh. For weight loss it matters 0, but if one were inclined to care about other factors (such as overall health) I would re-consider my food choices or put in some work so I could have discretionary calories.
  • inertiastrength
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I struggle on 1800 in some areas and my diet is pretty clean most of the time.

df8d0dh1oymh.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't personally drink the poptarts-all-day kool-aid (nor do I believe anyone enjoying any long term success does) Food IS our fuel, it's literally the only way our bodies receive the vitamins and minerals and macros they need to fight disease and thrive. I can't think of a single credible person on this site that would disagree that cake < broccoli in terms of HEALTH, but common sense would have us all strike a balance that allows us the freedom to include foods we love to eat because they taste good, with foods we love to eat because they have health benefits. You don't have to be one way or the other. Persons on either side of this argument are equally obnoxious and I personally like to hang out in the calories have context middle ground.

A diet of nothing but broccoli could possibly more detrimental to your health than a diet of nothing but cake.
    In terms of HEALTH, context of the entire diet is important, no single food item.

I guess I gave too much credit by assuming the readers had the common sense to deduce that I wasn't referring to a sole diet of either or but thanks for pointing that out *eyeroll*

To be fair, I often see people here using the example of a single food diet when trying to make a point, so I wouldn't automatically assume that someone wasn't referring to a single food diet when saying that cake is worse than broccoli.

If you're talking about two different diets that include all kinds of foods, I'm not sure that the statement that cake is worse than broccoli holds up. If you're not talking about a monodiet, you're basically saying "a diet that includes cake is worse than a diet that includes broccoli," right? But how can we know that? If we're talking about an overall style of eating and not a monodiet, there's so much context we don't know. How many calories are involved? What other foods are involved? Are nutrient needs being met overall?

I track my micros and include all foods. I am active enough to eat 1800-2K and lose weight if I need to but if you're sedentary and eating a poverty macro diet of 1200 calories it's damn near impossible to hit micros if you're including nutritionally questionable foods tbh. For weight loss it matters 0, but if one were inclined to care about other factors (such as overall health) I would re-consider my food choices or put in some work so I could have discretionary calories.

I didn't know we were working from the default of a sedentary person with a goal of 1,200. Sorry for missing that context.
  • inertiastrength
    Options

I didn't know we were working from the default of a sedentary person with a goal of 1,200. Sorry for missing that context.

It's difficult on 1800 too if I'm not mindful of how many discretionary calories I have daily.
  • janejellyroll
    edited December 2017
    Options

df8d0dh1oymh.png

Is that the daily or weekly view? I tend to use the weekly view to ensure things are balanced out -- even if I have a day that is lower in a particular nutrient, I find I'm virtually always at a comfortable level for the week.

(Not meaning this as unsolicited advice, just sharing how I make it work while sometimes having cake or other more discretionary foods. I eat in the ballpark of where you do for calories).
  • inertiastrength
    Options

df8d0dh1oymh.png

Is that the daily or weekly view? I tend to use the weekly view to ensure things are balanced out -- even if I have a day that is lower in a particular nutrient, I find I'm virtually always at a comfortable level for the week.

(Not meaning this as unsolicited advice, just sharing how I make it work while sometimes having cake or other more discretionary foods. I eat in the ballpark of where you do for calories).

That was daily I didn't know I could look at nutrients weekly. Will have to check that out.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

df8d0dh1oymh.png

That was daily I didn't know I could look at nutrients weekly. Will have to check that out.

If you're on the website, you can choose "Trends" at the top and then select "Nutrition Report." It will give you your weekly averages.
  • inertiastrength
    Options

df8d0dh1oymh.png

If you're on the website, you can choose "Trends" at the top and then select "Nutrition Report." It will give you your weekly averages.

Awesome, I just did. I suck at Calcium and Potassium haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might be better off than you think, @mrsnattybulking . Some nutrition entries are optional. For instance, there are days where I know my potassium intake was impressive but MFP showed that I was lacking. It wasn't counting the potassium on all my entries.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

df8d0dh1oymh.png

Awesome, I just did. I suck at Calcium and Potassium haha

Basically what jgnatca said -- are you sure? Potassium in particular is in MANY foods, but if you aren't using the USDA entries you might be missing them. (It's even in coffee, I guess, although I never log that.)
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You might be better off than you think, @mrsnattybulking . Some nutrition entries are optional. For instance, there are days where I know my potassium intake was impressive but MFP showed that I was lacking. It wasn't counting the potassium on all my entries.

That's why I switched to Cronometer, the database is really comprehensive with respect to micros. All my foods have it unless it's a UPC add
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Under no other circumstances does "cake < broccoli in terms of HEALTH" make any sense. Because I can assure you that not eating your broccoli but instead having dessert on occasion is not going to impact your health.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Under no other circumstances does "cake < broccoli in terms of HEALTH" make any sense. Because I can assure you that not eating your broccoli but instead having dessert on occasion is not going to impact your health.

on occasion lol. Drink that IIFYM kool aid and have 25% of your daily calories come from cake and cookies and lets compare micro profiles 3 months down the road.

To be fair he did say on occasion...
This discussion has been closed.