November Ultimate Accountability Challenge (UAC)

Options

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Is there any flexibility around the 20min/day of exercise? I intentionally build rest days into my workout schedule, but still average 7hours/week of exercise. Otherwise this sounds perfect for me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Sounds just right!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Is there any flexibility around the 20min/day of exercise? I intentionally build rest days into my workout schedule, but still average 7hours/week of exercise. Otherwise this sounds perfect for me.

@ka97. Exercise should read "activity". Housework counts, gardening counts, shopping counts, swimming with the kids counts, etc... Anything out of bed and off the couch is generally good.

Rest day usually means nothing strenuous. It does not mean a total lack of activity.

For me a rest day is a 20 minute walk at a leisurely pace instead of the usual 5+km at near full pace.

Hope this makes sense.

Would love to have you along. We enjoy hearing other stories, sharing their burdens and cheering on their successes.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    okaaaaaaaaay......I do really think this is the challenge for me.
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Exercise should read "activity". Housework counts, gardening counts, shopping counts, swimming with the kids counts, etc... Anything out of bed and off the couch is generally good.

To be honest I don't count "activity" only intentional exercise - meaning that I do it for the sole purpose of the exercise. Exercise requires special clothing or equipment. If I'm in my regular clothing, it's not exercise.
    Shopping, cooking, cleaning.....that's all daily life. And I did all that stuff when I was fat.

So that's just my hangup. It's going to be really hard for me to say "20 minutes cleaning the house", but I will. Count me in!

• fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    October 29th:
    Cooking Cleaning,Household activites,Less eating today
    Tomorrow I will try my best to record everthing I eat.But I don't know how people calculate calories.

• lhadleyucf
    lhadleyucf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In! Sounds like a great plan!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Exercise should read "activity". Housework counts, gardening counts, shopping counts, swimming with the kids counts, etc... Anything out of bed and off the couch is generally good.

To be honest I don't count "activity" only intentional exercise - meaning that I do it for the sole purpose of the exercise. Exercise requires special clothing or equipment. If I'm in my regular clothing, it's not exercise.
    Shopping, cooking, cleaning.....that's all daily life. And I did all that stuff when I was fat.

So that's just my hangup. It's going to be really hard for me to say "20 minutes cleaning the house", but I will. Count me in!

@ka97. I know a lot of people that spend a VERY large portion of the day sitting and not doing much. If their step count for the entire day reaches 1000, I'd be surprised.

The idea is to encourage keeping an active lifestyle (not just exercise with special clothes of equipment).

Most of my daily walking is in what could be deemed regular clothes (even though it is at a pace that others find hard to match - the track pants are the only concession there, and that is to stop chafing). My nightly bodyweight strength training is done in the bathroom with no special equipment (nor special clothing).

20 mins cleaning the house is quite acceptable. You are up and moving around, dusting, sweeping, scrubbing, washing. It can even be quite exhausting. (A rage clean can even be quite cathartic :) )

fe452436 wrote: »
    October 29th:
    Cooking Cleaning,Household activites,Less eating today
    Tomorrow I will try my best to record everthing I eat.But I don't know how people calculate calories.

@fe452436. Calculating calories for activity is only important *IF* you plan to eat them back or need to include them in your daily budget.

Most days I am so far under budget that I do not eat back any calories from walking (I do not record non-walking activity for calorie purposes - even the strength training).

Exercise or activity calories are always an estimate. The only real way to measure is a VO2 max test (think breathing apparatus that can measure difference between O2 inhaled and O2 exhaled). MFP has estimates for calories burned for all types of activity. If an MPF activity does not match what you want, a quick google search can get you a reasonable estimate (or at least how to work it out).

Calorie in food are always an estimate too, but it's the best we have to work with. Why a food calorie is not a calorie is a topic for a much longer post in a different place.
  • fe452436
    Options
    Thanks!
    Exercise:Yes 30 min walk+Lunges challenge
    Tracking:No
    Calories:No
  • 135terry
    135terry Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been answered and I missed it, but I'm wondering if we are sill considered within our calories if we eat back some of our earned calories through exercise. For example my calorie intake is 1286 and sometime if I've exercised a lot that day and earned another 600, I'll eat 300 back. Would I still be able to say I was within my calories?

Also my fitbit automatically tracks all my steps, so when I do 30 min on the treadmill, I don't make an entry as exercise on my account, as I don't want to double count my earned calories. However, I plan to enter the 30 minutes on this challenge. Hope that makes sense.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I joined :)
  • shallid1
    shallid1 Posts: 296 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi, I'm in.
  • fe452436
    Options
    October 31st

Exercised?:20 minute walk+tried planks but elbows are hurting or I am doing it wrong
    Calories?:Under budget
    Tracked:No
    Tomorrow I shall start tracking.
  • Elmyra8376
    Elmyra8376 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This sounds great ! I’m in !
  • trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Lol. I know what you mean there hun. Shopping, cleaning etc, isn't an exercise to me either, and I don't log it in MFP or on the UAC.
    Walking the dogs, jogging and biking are my usual activities - walking the dogs doesn't sound like much but we go for miles over countryside and mixed terrain, so we all get a good workout, human and canine alike, lol.

On my rest days, I give the house a good clean through, I also have various pets so they too get a good clean, and walk the dogs but at a steadier pace, easier terrain and not so many hills. I don't jog on my rest day ( I have 1 or 2 a week)
    135terry wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been answered and I missed it, but I'm wondering if we are sill considered within our calories if we eat back some of our earned calories through exercise. For example my calorie intake is 1286 and sometime if I've exercised a lot that day and earned another 600, I'll eat 300 back. Would I still be able to say I was within my calories?

Also my fitbit automatically tracks all my steps, so when I do 30 min on the treadmill, I don't make an entry as exercise on my account, as I don't want to double count my earned calories. However, I plan to enter the 30 minutes on this challenge. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that's fine hun. My set goal is 1220 but, like you, if I've done a good burn that day (I can do over a 1000 calorie burn most days) I'll eat back some for the extra fuel.

My fitbit tracks my steps and exercise as well, and I enter this in my post on the UAC.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    This sounds perfect for me! I'm in.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    135terry wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been answered and I missed it, but I'm wondering if we are sill considered within our calories if we eat back some of our earned calories through exercise. ..

@135terry. In short yes.

I tend not to eat back my exercise calories (that is a personal decsion). I use the exercise calories from walking as a buffer.

But within the guidelines. Exercise calories are extension to the daily target. If under daily target for calories, then you have fulfilled the calories criteria.
  • craigo3154
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I joined :)
    shallid1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in.
    Elmyra8376 wrote: »
    This sounds great ! I’m in !
    Wraiythe wrote: »
    This sounds perfect for me! I'm in.

@iamthemotherofdogs. @shallid1. @Elmyra8376. @Wraiythe. Welcome. Look forward to hearing more from all of you this month in UAC.

• craigo3154
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    October 31st

Exercised?:20 minute walk+tried planks but elbows are hurting or I am doing it wrong
    Calories?:Under budget
    Tracked:No
    Tomorrow I shall start tracking.

@fe452436. Love the enthusiasm. You can start posting in the UAC forum thread from Novemeber 1.

The group works by having a new thread for each day (and usually a topic for discussion or comment by @RangerRickL.)

Look forward to seeing more from you in the forum.
  • L010
    L010 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am in. Looking forward to complete this challenge.
  • niccishess
    niccishess Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m so ready to do this!!