Cyclists

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    edited November 2017
    nelja wrote: »
    Which do you prefer? Carbon or Aluminum frame?

Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllll. All three of mine are steel. My old road bike was aluminum and I much prefer my steel roadie now. Haven't ever had carbon but that's a possibility when I get a tri bike.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have one aluminum. I used it for racing, and it was all right. I tried to use it for long distance cycling and didn't like it ... too rough. So it's my trainer bicycle ... on my indoor trainer.

Yes, exactly. When I got my steel road bike I was surprised how smooth the ride was in comparison to my aluminum bike.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Do all steel bikes come with downtube shifters and granola?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Carbon for me as my all aluminium hybrid is an incredibly harsh ride on any road that is less than smooth.
    But in truth you can make good or bad bikes out of aluminium, carbon, steel or titanium. All the materials have different strengths and weaknesses.
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    I like my new steel bike, with all the modern components :smile:. I don't have enough experience with other material, but I know that some people are going back to steel for long distance riding. It's a bit heavier but not significantly (and one can always loose a few lbs on this app), it does gives you a softer ride because of the flexibility of the material, especially from the curved fork.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    brig220 wrote: »
    I like my new steel bike, with all the modern components :smile:. I don't have enough experience with other material, but I know that some people are going back to steel for long distance riding. It's a bit heavier but not significantly (and one can always loose a few lbs on this app), it does gives you a softer ride because of the flexibility of the material, especially from the curved fork.

My main long distance bicycle is a surprisingly light steel. :)

• nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Do anyone know the desert dash in Namibia?It is the biggest MTB race in the world. Which is 369km long. Cyclists from all over the world come to participate. You can ride it solo,2 man team or a 4 man team. It consists out of 6 stages. If you are riding in a team. The full team must ride the first and last stage together. The team also only finish when the last man/women finish the last stage.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017

I have both, I ride both, I like both. Steel, too. Which I like better depends on a number of things.

Someday I'll get on a Ti frame...
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Got myself a new racer this year as my old one got killed in a group crash. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much cycling at all this year due to a lot of changes in my life. I did manage to clock just above 2000km, and I completed the Hamburg Velothon 120km race without being picked up due to time limit.

I've gone into serious winter training in order to get out and do a LOT of kilometers next year. My goal is 5000km again (I hit that in '16, so I know for sure it's doable for me), and to get into a regular rhythm of cycling at least twice a week, regardless of weather.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Do anyone know the desert dash in Namibia?It is the biggest MTB race in the world. Which is 369km long. Cyclists from all over the world come to participate. You can ride it solo,2 man team or a 4 man team. It consists out of 6 stages. If you are riding in a team. The full team must ride the first and last stage together. The team also only finish when the last man/women finish the last stage.

No ... not familiar with it. But then, I'm not really familiar with the mountain bike scene.

Will you or someone in your family be in it?
  • nelja
    My son and husband is riding the two man team this year. They have been training the whole year for it. I am the "backup" driver. Doing all the support. It is the first time for them, so everything is new and very scary.
    Machka9 wrote: »

No ... not familiar with it. But then, I'm not really familiar with the mountain bike scene.

Will you or someone in your family be in it?

• nelja
    Is a cross bike like a hybrid bike.Some components of a road bike and some components from a mountain bike?
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Cross bike. Also used for commuting with slick tires on during summer.

• jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    My work of art (cervelo p4) and indoor training station....Northern Wisconsin winters are hard
  • NorthCascades
    Is a cross bike like a hybrid bike.Some components of a road bike and some components from a mountain bike?
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Cross bike. Also used for commuting with slick tires on during summer.

It's like a road bike with 33 mm tires for mud racing.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Giant TCX2 2012 (cyclocross). Great bike. I replaced the large tires for narrower ones.

TCX_2.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    jlklem wrote: »
    My work of art (cervelo p4) and indoor training station....Northern Wisconsin winters are hard

Cervelos (Cerveli?) are greaet bikes!
  • jlklem

Yeah I have had my Cervelo P4 for a while. It never shifted well so I put SRAM etap on it. Expensive but it finally rides like the price it all cost...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Do all steel bikes come with downtube shifters and granola?

Haha! Actually my steel bike (built in 2012) does have downtube shifters, because I was building it up myself and didn't feel like screwing around with more cable housing than necessary.
  • NorthCascades

Yeah I have had my Cervelo P4 for a while. It never shifted well so I put SRAM etap on it. Expensive but it finally rides like the price it all cost...

What wheels are those on it?

Looks like a gloriously fast bike!
  • jlklem

It's silly fast...I have a Flo 9 full carbon in the back and HED 6 in the front. I do a lot of long solo time trials so my two road bikes are super aero. Just finished the P4 this summer after my goal race so we will see what it can do next year.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member

It's silly fast...I have a Flo 9 full carbon in the back and HED 6 in the front. I do a lot of long solo time trials so my two road bikes are super aero. Just finished the P4 this summer after my goal race so we will see what it can do next year.

nails.