A HIGH FIBER DIET?!! HELP

2»

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Increasing my fiber was a game changer for me to finally feel satiated at meal time. I tried the high protein and I tried the high fat, but neither of those made me feel full, even with all the tricks with it like drink a glass of water with your meals or wait 20 minutes after you eat to determine if you really are still hungry - yes, still hungry!

Then I focused on increasing fiber. I now eat about 40-45g of fiber a day. I finally feel full after a meal, sometimes even packing up a meal half eaten to finish later. Same calories as before - just more filling to me. Hopefully you have similar results.

Good luck.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    Eat bran cereal for breakfast. Simple. I eat a serving of All Bran Buds plus a serving of either Frosted Mini Wheats or Kashi Shredded wheat every morning. The two together taste decent, and it is a heck of a start on your fiber for the day. Just drink lots of water throughout the day and you'll be fine.

For those like me who find the taste and texture of All Bran vile and have to avoid it because it contains psyllium:

All Bran Buds - 13g
    Frosted Mini Wheats plus a banana plus Fiber One bar for a mid-morning snack - 5.3g + 3.1 + 5 = 13.4g

So there's more than one way to get your fiber in. Regarding psyllium, it can have negative digestive effects in some people - and people like me who are on blood thinners have to avoid psyllium.

I'm not a fan of other all-bran products, but the buds seem to not be as crap tasting to me. I can eat them with a little vanilla almond milk and don't mind them even by themselves. The Frosted Mini Wheats are an added flavor bonus though. Lately I've been eating Kashi products in place of the Frosted Mini Wheats (not sure on the psyllium content), Dark Cocoa Karma is my favorite. It's a few less calories than Frosted Mini Wheats as well, likely because it's not frosted.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 215 Member
    There's an article on high fiber recipes on the MFP blog today. They all look delicious! That might be a good place to start?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Interesting to see how many others are bugged by fiber products. Most fiber supplements make me sick to my stomach, painful cramps for days.

I eat lots of beans. making them in my instant pot really helpse not have bad gas (I dunno why). Too much broccoli or similar veggies makes it so I don't even want to be around myself.

So beans for lunch, maybe dinner. Bran cereal or shredded wheat for breakfast.

Peaches and such when possible, it's not always in my budget to eat a ton of fruit.

I do love fiber one's baked bars for days i am low. Quest bars when traveling.

Popcorn. I love popcorn for a snack, especially when I want to eat any enormous bowl of something.

Increase slowly. You can still have a higher protein diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I echo the advice to add fiber slowly and take with plenty of water. Here is a decent article about fiber. Try soluble fiber like oatmeal for breakfast and fermentable fiber.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/fiber