Ground turkey vs Lean Ground Beef/Steak

Options
2»

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    why not alternate beef, pork, and turkey/chicken? I love beef the most though.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's much cheaper and easier to digest (for me anyway) so I usually sub except for burgers (my partner is firm on that) and meatloaf.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Very interesting information!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    remoore23 wrote: »
    At the risk of starting a gigantic debate, the World Health Organization has listed red meat as a Group 2A carcinogen, meaning it is "probably carcinogenic to humans". What this means is that there is a strong correlation between the consumption of red meat and certain types of cancer but a definite link has not been proven. Thus, ground turkey may be slightly healthier just because it is not red meat.

By the way, the WHO lists processed meat as a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning that the link between processed meat and cancer (specifically colorectal cancer) has been proven.

With that being said, I still eat red meat on a fairly regular basis, like maybe a couple of times per week.

Here is a link to this information: http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

Processed meat increases your risk of colorectal cancer from 5% to 6% if you eat it everyday so not as big of a risk as the media made it out to be.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    It's entirely based on your personal preference. As for me, I much prefer beef. Though I do not like the 90% lean variety. Not enough flavor. If I was making Chili or something I guess the 90% would work (and I make a mean pot of chili), but if I am having a burger I need the fat.

Ya, I don't like ground beef that low in fat either. I would rather have turkey or chicken for lower fat meat and the occasional fatty burger!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    It's entirely based on your personal preference. As for me, I much prefer beef. Though I do not like the 90% lean variety. Not enough flavor. If I was making Chili or something I guess the 90% would work (and I make a mean pot of chili), but if I am having a burger I need the fat.

Ya, I don't like ground beef that low in fat either. I would rather have turkey or chicken for lower fat meat and the occasional fatty burger!

I'd rather eat sawdust then beef with < 15% fat.

Tbh, 90%+ of the protein in my meal plans is chicken, pork, and beans. Try to stay under $3/lb for my meats, which usually prices out beef and turkey, except for sales.

On a side note, try braised pork shoulder ( pulled/shredded ) as a replacement in your chili recipe ... I make it in my pressure cooker couple times a month, so good.