Starting with very high BF % so possible to gain muscle and lose body fat simultaneously

Options
2»

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that "loose" is intentional and British. They also "shift" weight. But I'm not sure. British side of MFP, help a gal out?

Nope, 'loose' is wrong in British English too.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What is your daily protein intake?
    When in a calorie deficit, the 2 greatest factors in maintaining/building muscle are adequate protein and strength training. You are more likely to build muscle as a noon lifter, but only if you eat enough protein.
    Many people debate about what the minimum is, or what range is optimal. The most consistent range I have heard is 0.8-1.2 grams per lb. of lean body mass or about 1.8-2.6 g/ kg LBM. So for you that would be about 120-170g of protein/ day. I tend to stay near the high end because extra protein helps me not feel as hungry.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oversimplifying:

"Bulking" refers to following an intense, structured weight training program while eating excess calories, because the best conditions for adding muscle mass include eating at a surplus. That means some fat will be added, too.

"Cutting" refers to continuing with weight training at an intensity that will retain as much muscle mass as possible, while eating at a deficit to lose fat and reveal the muscle built during bulking.

"Bulking" is not just gaining fat while doing whatever. Lots of us do that. When we lose weight, we have less fat, but there's no notable muscle mass to reveal.

Commonly, people repeat cycles of bulking and cutting, adding more muscle mass with each bulk period, and losing fat back to a target weight (or body fat percent) while maintaining muscle mass with each cut period. Over time, total muscle mass increases.

Recomp is a whole other strategy from bulking and cutting. In recomp, one eats approximately at maintenance calories, and follows an intense weight training program designed to add muscle mass. Because conditions for adding muscle mass are suboptimal (no calorie surplus), muscle mass is built more slowly. No cycles in this process, though: They just keep going.

Overall, bulk and cut should build more muscle faster, but the body weight management can be more difficult, annoying, or inconvenient. With recomposition, the weight management is less complicated, but muscle mass is gained more slowly.

Thank you for posting this. I've been wondering what the differences are and this is very helpful.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You're losing about 1.8 pounds a week, if getting stronger and maintaining/building muscle is your biggest concern/goal, then you're probably going to want to scale that back to .5 - 1 pound eventually. When you start failing lifts will probably be a sign that it's time to reduce your deficit, which is fairly aggressive.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    I've actually been wondering about this. A lot of people BULK before cutting and that's supposed to help with recomp. If we are higher weight, are we not technically "bulked" and should be able to lift and cut?

I think that's OPs question, too.

Oversimplifying:

........Overall, bulk and cut should build more muscle faster, but the body weight management can be more difficult, annoying, or inconvenient. With recomposition, the weight management is less complicated, but muscle mass is gained more slowly......

@AnnPT77 Thank you for this.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So many people seem obsessed with how much muscle they might be adding while dieting and working out. You can add some muscle eating at a deficit, but even starting out you aren't adding more than a pound or two a month... which is hard to even tell due to normal fluctuations.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/

...How Fast Can You Build Muscle… REALLY?

So, that’s how much you can gain total. The question now is, how long does it take to build it and how fast can it be done?

Well, once again, I’m going by various trainers/coaches I’ve heard discuss the true rate of muscle growth among their clients, the few studies that have looked at this as well, and my own 10+ years of first hand experience and observation.

Based on all of this, here’s how fast you can expect to build muscle on average:

Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month).
    Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month).