Tips to stop retaining water?

Options
daisyfields79
daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Any tips to stop retaining water? I heard to drink more water but it's not working lol

Replies

• hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Avoid high amounts of salt and cut back on carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, water "weight" should be the least of any person's concern.
  • 90Ibs
    90Ibs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Avoid lots of salt, drink water, drink coffee. Your water weight will fluctuate throughout the day, every day, between 5-10 lbs. It's not a big deal and will always be present in some amount. Don't stop drinking water, that will make you retain more fluid and it's really dangerous.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Full on sounds like bulimia. Professional help is needed for that.

You didn't quote, and I see that she edited. Have we missed something?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

You didn't quote, and I see that she edited. Have we missed something?

Not that I saw. I'm confused by that bulimia comment, too.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options

May I ask what about OP's post may point towards bulimia?
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My original post was about a friend but then I remembered she has this app so was worried she would see it so changed it my my water weight help. It doesn't give me the option to delete the post.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Water weight is part of life. Eat more carbs than normal? Water weight. Eat more sodium than normal? Water weight. Exercise harder than normal? Water weight. Hormones cycling? Water weight.

You can drink some water to flush out the extra fluid and be patient, but honestly, the best thing I've found for dealing with water weight is understanding that it just happens and it will pass.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My original post was about a friend but then I remembered she has this app so was worried she would see it so changed it my my water weight help. It doesn't give me the option to delete the post.

You can report the post, and choose 'it's my post, and I want to delete it.'
  • gita9999
    gita9999 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about bloating then probiotics (fermented foods) is great for that..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I saw that earlier about your friend.. you can ask the mods to delete this thread by flagging your own post.

Choose 'this is my post and I want to delete it"

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    gita9999 wrote: »
    If you're worried about bloating then probiotics (fermented foods) is great for that..

Does that help with water retention? People mean different things when they talk about bloating. If fermented foods only affect gassiness amd constipation, that probably won't help the OP.

@daisyfields79 Water weight comes in and out like the tide (*rimshot*). Why are you, or your friend, trying to avoid it? Excessive water retention that causes bloating and swelling should have you calling a doctor to seek out a cause and treatment, if necessary. It could be nothing (some women bloat more during their cycle, for example), or it could be something serious (kidney disease).
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I did some Googling today regarding Sucralose and water retention and although I couldn't find a study, there seemed to be a lot of people who felt Sucralose caused their water weight gain and a few sites backed that up. I was curious because I started gaining weight (instead of losing as I was) just a few days after I started drinking sparkling waters with Sucralose in them (which I accidentally bought thinking they were plain). I haven't drank any in two days now and am already back down almost 6 lbs., so I think I'll go back to plain sparkling water/water and forget the artificial stuff. I never really liked artificial sugars anyway.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can minimize water retention but can't really stop it ever happening. Some water fluctuation is normal body functioning.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's best to post about yourself not other people. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    The human body is comprised of 50-65% water...always in flux...retention/release. This shouldn't really be something to worry about unless it's excessive (like super swollen) in which case you need to see a doctor.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I hope your friend isn't the person a week or two back who kept doing stupid things I won't mention to eliminate any form of water "retention".

That was disturbing.

Water is needed by the body for muscle repair and daily functions.

This is a different matter to the oedema which can be caused by liver, heart, or kidney disease, which are serious medical issues.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Excuse me Doctor but do you always diagnose your patients with limited information?

@karintalley the post was edited so we have no idea what she described. I'm guessing it was Bulimia symptoms