Hangover eating ruining everything!

Options
Hi there

I'm so good with my diet 6 days of the week and aim for 1400 calories maximum a day and exercise 4 times a week. I've been doing this now for about 2 months and have only lost a couple of pounds if that.

My main problem is when I have a drink - the next day I have no control and eat pretty much anything I want. I then spend the rest of the week living with immense guilt.

I know the obvious answer is not to drink....but how am i supposed to live the rest of my life never having a glass of wine or having a social catch-up with some mates? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love it if the first thing I wanted to eat on a hangover is an apple but it really isn't.

I welcome all feedback and would like to hear if anyone struggles with anything similar.

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm so good with my diet 6 days of the week and aim for 1400 calories maximum a day and exercise 4 times a week. I've been doing this now for about 2 months and have only lost a couple of pounds if that.

My main problem is when I have a drink - the next day I have no control and eat pretty much anything I want. I then spend the rest of the week living with immense guilt.

I know the obvious answer is not to drink....but how am i supposed to live the rest of my life never having a glass of wine or having a social catch-up with some mates? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love it if the first thing I wanted to eat on a hangover is an apple but it really isn't.

I welcome all feedback and would like to hear if anyone struggles with anything similar.

I would keep your drinking if you want it, but save calories throughout the week for the day after drinking. I try not to eat as much during the week so that on Saturday or Sunday I can eat a little more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Is it a matter of actually feeling hungover every weekend and wanting something to help with the nauseous feeling? Or do you feel more hungry on days after drinking? Or is it all just psychological?

If you can narrow down exactly WHY you're overeating following a night of drinking, that might help you come up with a solution.

i can eat the world when i am hungover... i just crave carbs and fat... a ginormous fry up and then some chocolate usually helps... days calories blown in on emeal! which is why it rarely happens any more!
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Toxikon I think its a mixture of all of those things! I don't necessarily have to have drunk a lot for me to have this hangover eating problem. Think the problem is when i'm feeling a little tender, I dont have the motivation or the guilt factor that I usually would to stop. Eating lots of carbs does also help nurse the hangover. I just need to try and be strong as its ruining all my efforts!
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there

there's a massive difference between a 'glass of wine' or a 'social drink' and getting so drunk you're hungover.

I have had a hangover once this year, maybe twice max... but i go out socially for drinks at least once a fortnight.

No i honestly feel hungover on 2 glasses of wine. It gets worse with age
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a very, very conservative drinker and I have never had a hangover. Order a glass of water with your wine and super hydrate on drink night. No more than two glasses of wine.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had 2 glasses of wine Saturday night and felt hungover on Sunday- for me it's the sulfites in the white wine- just makes me feel blah....if you really are only having a couple, make sure to drink water in between drinks-alcohol also dehydrates you- but you might have a problem with something in the wine like I do-I love white wine, but unfortunately it doesn't like me-so I don't drink it often. Vodka is the cleanest drink-if you don't mix it with lots of sugary stuff.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Toxikon I think its a mixture of all of those things! I don't necessarily have to have drunk a lot for me to have this hangover eating problem. Think the problem is when i'm feeling a little tender, I dont have the motivation or the guilt factor that I usually would to stop. Eating lots of carbs does also help nurse the hangover. I just need to try and be strong as its ruining all my efforts!

I can definitely relate - especially after the Halloween party we had on Saturday! I ate a huuuge breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes, hashbrowns... phewf.

You could definitely play with your weekly calories and meal timing to work in the hangover day.

For example, if you ate 100 fewer calories 6 days a week, you'd have an extra 600 calories for your hangover day.

Or - in my case - I like to do intermittent fasting. After my hangover feast on Sunday, I barely ate anything else for the rest of the day, so the calories for the day actually weren't too terrible. On most other days, I skip breakfast and have a small lunch so I can enjoy a large, filling dinner.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Could you switch to limiting it to one glass max? I lean towards nursing a single wine spritzer. I think they're out of vogue at the moment, but it works for me.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I gotta agree with Tavistock, it really doesn't seem worth it for a couple of glasses of wine. Why not hold off on the alcohol for a while altogether?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hi there

there's a massive difference between a 'glass of wine' or a 'social drink' and getting so drunk you're hungover.

I have had a hangover once this year, maybe twice max... but i go out socially for drinks at least once a fortnight.

No i honestly feel hungover on 2 glasses of wine. It gets worse with age

doesn't seem worth it for 2 glasses of wine....

Pretty much this. If it's serving no purpose other than you do out of habit to be social then just drink something non-alcoholic or have one wine and one soft drink.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Drinking less often certainly doesn’t mean you can never have a glass of wine again. It may mean that you can’t have two every weekend since you react so strongly to it. I adore chocolate, adore it, but if having two squares of it made me sick feeling all the next day I’d stop eating it. Same with anything else in my life I think. But I for sure wouldn’t eat it every Saturday so all my sundays were uncomfortable.