Hangover eating ruining everything!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm so good with my diet 6 days of the week and aim for 1400 calories maximum a day and exercise 4 times a week. I've been doing this now for about 2 months and have only lost a couple of pounds if that.

My main problem is when I have a drink - the next day I have no control and eat pretty much anything I want. I then spend the rest of the week living with immense guilt.

I know the obvious answer is not to drink....but how am i supposed to live the rest of my life never having a glass of wine or having a social catch-up with some mates? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love it if the first thing I wanted to eat on a hangover is an apple but it really isn't.

I welcome all feedback and would like to hear if anyone struggles with anything similar.

there's a massive difference between a 'glass of wine' or a 'social drink' and getting so drunk you're hungover.

I have had a hangover once this year, maybe twice max... but i go out socially for drinks at least once a fortnight.

No i honestly feel hungover on 2 glasses of wine. It gets worse with age

How big are these glasses? People are different, of course, but I'm 55 and 2 glasses of wine doesn't make me feel hungover. It doesn't change the way I feel at all the next day.

Does this happen with all alcoholic drinks or just wine?
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Haha yes it is my birth year....i'm not trying to imply i'm old, just trying to say that hangovers get worse year by year.

This is definitely a case me for to cut down, I realise this. Its easy for people who aren't massively into their drink to say "cut down" but I adore wine. Not necessarily in quantity, its about the quality. I'm going to try and not drink all of November and see what difference this makes. (Hopefully lots!)

On another note, when I use to low carb, alcohol never affected weight loss (I only really drink red wine)

Maybe its time to get back on the Atkins :/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hey, I really love a glass of wine or a great craft beer, I get it but if it's really impacting things so much then just have one glass or save yourself for having that two or three glasses once a month. You can plan for it better if it's more infrequent. I used to have a bottle over a few nights fairly regularly but while losing weight it's just not worth it. And that's without the hangover to take into account (I'm one of those lucky few who just gets tired the next day and it hasn't got any worse as I've gotten older, 35 now).

And then, when you do drink it, splash out on one of the more expensive ones on the wine list, make it a real treat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Haha yes it is my birth year....i'm not trying to imply i'm old, just trying to say that hangovers get worse year by year.

This is definitely a case me for to cut down, I realise this. Its easy for people who aren't massively into their drink to say "cut down" but I adore wine. Not necessarily in quantity, its about the quality. I'm going to try and not drink all of November and see what difference this makes. (Hopefully lots!)

On another note, when I use to low carb, alcohol never affected weight loss (I only really drink red wine)

Maybe so, but you might also want to try different types of wine.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/color-wine-could-affect-your-hangover
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

so if its about quality, just have 1...

My wine consumption is all about quality. I generally couldn't afford more than one! (or wouldn't... Itd be a waste of money and good wine!)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

My wine consumption is all about quality. I generally couldn't afford more than one! (or wouldn't... Itd be a waste of money and good wine!)

This is why I prefer my wine at home in front of the telly. Trashy TV/good film, great wine I can buy cheaper by the bottle than in the pub/bar by the glass. I have beer/ale/lager when out for the most part which has a twofold effect of being moderately cheaper than good wine by the glass and I can't drink as much of it generally due to it being "filling".
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I used to be "massively into my drinks", but decided wanting to lose was more a priority. 2 glasses a day (and maybe more on the weekends) was typical for me, but when I became serious about losing I cut out the week day drinks and may only have a glass or 2 on the weekend. And we are talking measuring out 6 oz for a glass not just a free pour.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

This is why I prefer my wine at home in front of the telly. Trashy TV/good film, great wine I can buy cheaper by the bottle than in the pub/bar by the glass. I have beer/ale/lager when out for the most part which has a twofold effect of being moderately cheaper than good wine by the glass and I can't drink as much of it generally due to it being "filling".

And that's why I rarely drink wine out, with the exception of special occasions and nice meals out...
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm all about moderation, but if this keeps happening, you really need a way to stop it.

I think another user said something about priorities. I always went at weight loss as a priority. Nothing else mattered, so if something was getting in the way, I'd figure out a way to stop it.

So, if drinking causes you to spiral and it's affecting your efforts to lose weight, you need to figure out what's more important...drinking and having fun...or losing weight. If you can't do both, 1 has to go.
  • Uisceuisce
    Uisceuisce Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    drink enough water the night before, Sleep and wake to LARGE glasses of water and wake up to eggs and toast with a banana. Then crawl into bed until it works its magic. Works every time for me.

I did make the choice drinking wasnt worth it though, Especially into hangover territory. But im not about to lecture you. For real though, I havent had a hangover since i learned drinking water doesnt effect your drunkness but kills the hangover
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When I was drinking a glass of wine almost every night while making dinner, it rarely effected me, but I lost very little weight. When I switched to only a glass or two on the weekends only, I began seeing more weight loss, but that glass or two hit a little harder. (I call it the "red wine headache".) So I understand what you are saying. Drink lots and lots of water before your wine and then a glass of water in between each glass and a full glass before you go to bed. That will help get the toxins out of your system faster and reduce dehydration. Also listen to your body, let yourself eat something (not everything) that you want the next day for breakfast, but then focus on nutritious yummy food for lunch, and if you are hitting your calories, concentrate on a veggie only dinner. If you go over your calories, take up to 200 out of your next days allotment.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    same as me, but you have to pull that strength and just BEHAVE!, the drink is worth it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi there

I'm so good with my diet 6 days of the week and aim for 1400 calories maximum a day and exercise 4 times a week. I've been doing this now for about 2 months and have only lost a couple of pounds if that.

My main problem is when I have a drink - the next day I have no control and eat pretty much anything I want. I then spend the rest of the week living with immense guilt.

I know the obvious answer is not to drink....but how am i supposed to live the rest of my life never having a glass of wine or having a social catch-up with some mates? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love it if the first thing I wanted to eat on a hangover is an apple but it really isn't.

I welcome all feedback and would like to hear if anyone struggles with anything similar.

there's a massive difference between a 'glass of wine' or a 'social drink' and getting so drunk you're hungover.

I have had a hangover once this year, maybe twice max... but i go out socially for drinks at least once a fortnight.

No i honestly feel hungover on 2 glasses of wine. It gets worse with age

Really? You need to drink some water too as others have said. Or take an ibuprofen/aspirin before you go to bed.

ETA: And then you said you were born in 1991. I'm being a little rude here, but how long could you possibly have been drinking when you are only 26? If your hangovers are getting worse after two glasses of wine after a maximum of 10 years drinking, there is something wrong with this picture! Either you have some 12 oz. glasses for your wine or you aren't keeping track of how many you are drinking. I'm 51, twice your age and I don't get a hangover from 2 glasses of wine and I drink about 4 times a year and have NO tolerance.
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You're all right. Weight loss is definitely my priority and I need to prove this to myself. Doesn't help that this is the worse time of year to cut down, but hey ho!
  • Uisceuisce
    Uisceuisce Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    [quote="janejellyroll;

Where did you get that information? An average glass of wine has about 4 carbohydrates (styles can vary), so we're talking maybe 20-25 carbohydrates a bottle. An average loaf of bread, on the other hand, has about 240 grams of carbohydrates (assuming a 14-inch loaf of french bread). Not even close.

Now for weight loss, the calories are the relevant thing and wine does have calories. But even then, a bottle of wine has fewer calories than a loaf of bread.[/quote]

Point taken, post deleted.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you're not drinking enough. If you really hit it hard, you won't be able to eat in the morning.
    :s --> :D

Seriously, if you eat and/or drink a lot at a party, the answer is clearly it make up for it before or after by keeping calm and on program. Guilt is unproductive.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to avoid hangovers because all I crave is greasy, bad food. Every once and a while the alcohol just doesn't sit right or I've had one too many and I wake up the next day with a hangover. My best strategy is to suck it up and don't eat the junk. It's miserable but I feel better knowing that I am not blowing all my hard work. I've switched to pepto and lots of naps to cure a hangover. Not nearly as fun as pizza haha